Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:36:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Two Popes - Netflix

Started by HMS Beanspiller, December 26, 2019, 11:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
A superb film no matter what your attitude to the RC church - Hopkins and Pryce act the shit out of an excellent script. I reckon this will take home some Oscar gold and will be well deserved. Best film I saw in 2019 by some distance IMO.

mrpupkin

Yeah I saw this at the pictures before it went on Netflix and thought "I like this film about popes". And I stand by that.

mjwilson

I suspect it might not be totally true to life but yeah, good work by the acting chaps.

Schnapple

Enjoyed both performances and had a few chuckles, but was ultimately a bit cosy.

touchingcloth

Netflix are promoting the fuck out of this, but it hasn't tempted me. Partly because I have a strong distaste for the church, but mainly cos one of the popes looks too much like Larry David doing Bernie Sanders and I get disappointed when realising it's not a comedy.

poodlefaker

Rubbish, didn't laugh once. The sketches went on too long and the songs weren't funny.

Blumf

Are there any robots or lasers in it? No? Not arsed mate.

oy vey

The shitting in the woods scene is compelling to be fair.

dissolute ocelot

I've loved Jonathan Pryce since my childhood Ray Bradbury and dystopian sci-fi obsessions but passionately hate Anthony Hopkins as a terribly stagy actor who'll never let you forget that he's A GREAT ACTOR even for a second. Could we have a Two Popes 2: One Pope, maybe?

EOLAN

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 09, 2020, 03:23:23 PM
I've loved Jonathan Pryce since my childhood Ray Bradbury and dystopian sci-fi obsessions but passionately hate Anthony Hopkins as a terribly stagy actor who'll never let you forget that he's A GREAT ACTOR even for a second. Could we have a Two Popes 2: One Pope, maybe?

I probably lean into this camp; though wouldn't be as overly familiar with Pryce outside of Brazil. Watching the trailer; Pryce did seem to just seep into his character that I struggled to recognize him. Whereas Hopkins just seemed to be Hopkins reading the lines he was given.

idunnosomename

I'm seein' double!

Four Vicars of Christ!!!!