Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:26:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Avatar: Parts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19...

Started by Jim Bob, December 28, 2019, 10:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bob

Jams Cumin be talking 'bout the possibility of his Avatar sequel beating Avengers: Endgame, as the number 1 box office hit of all time...

Quote from: USA Today, Yesterday"I think it's a certainty," says Cameron of "Avatar" eventually passing "Avengers" in theaters. "But let's give 'Endgame' their moment and let's celebrate that people are going to the movie theater."

"I don't want to sound snarky after I took the high road (by offering congratulations)," he says. "But they beat us by one quarter of a percent. I did the math in my head while driving in this morning. I think accountants call that a rounding error."

Fucking Cumin, giving it all that!  Giving it the big I am!  Jimmy Big Bollocks!  Never seen the like!  I hope his stupid blue cat people sequel falls flat on its stupid CGI face.

greenman

Unless its significantly better than the original I suspect the sequel won't be close to that.

Jim Bob

Well, I for one, shall not be buying a ticket come Christmas 2021.  Take that, Cumin, ya bifta!

Pseudopath

Quote from: greenman on December 28, 2019, 10:56:55 AM
Unless its significantly better than the original I suspect the sequel won't be close to that.

Yeah...he's forgetting that, by the time the first sequel is released, everyone will have had 12 years to realise how utterly dogshit the original movie was.

olliebean

Not unless he's come up with some new gimmick to get people to go to see it. The first one definitely got a boost from catching the 3D craze right at its peak. I remember lots of people thinking the story looked a bit shit but going to see it anyway because the 3D was supposed to be so brilliant.

Jim Bob

I went to the cinema to watch the first one with a group of friends.  Me and my best mate were pissing ourselves with laughter when the evil burly army man got into a mech and pulled out a ginormous knife.  As we left the cinema, the majority of our group were singing the movie's praises, but not me and my mate.  We knew what a shitfest that movie was.  We knew.

BlodwynPig

The german trailer had an amazing piece of music accompanying a slow pan of a giant spaceship. I didnt watch the film because this music was not featured in it - generic hollywood score instead

The first one only made so much money because everyone was charged double, with the 3D glasses. As someone else said, they'll need a new gimmick to prop this one up and it will be harder to convince Joe Public that a sequel is some entirely fresh new vanguard of entertainment.

robotam

Jim Bob

Quote from: robotam on December 29, 2019, 12:48:18 AM
Terminator 2 was good fun. Maybe it'll be like that again

Yeah, but the difference is that Terminator 2 was a sequel to a great movie.  This is a sequel to a shite movie.  I don't think all the tech in the world could manage to make Sam Worthington give a compelling performance.

The first sequel will bomb and that will be the last anybody hears about Avatar.

Alberon

Quote from: thecuriousorange on December 29, 2019, 01:36:10 PM
The first sequel will bomb and that will be the last anybody hears about Avatar.

He's made 2 and 3 back to back. It'll be interesting to see what happens to 3 if 2 does go down in flames.

The PR budget is going to be as enormous as the special effects budget as it needs to remind the public that the original existed as well as getting them to see the next one.

imitationleather

batwings

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 28, 2019, 10:55:25 AM
Jams Cumin be talking 'bout the possibility of his Avatar sequel beating Avengers: Endgame, as the number 1 box office hit of all time...

Fucking Cumin, giving it all that!  Giving it the big I am!  Jimmy Big Bollocks!  Never seen the like!  I hope his stupid blue cat people sequel falls flat on its stupid CGI face.

He's talking about a possible re-release of the first Avatar film regaining the record from Endgame as it wouldn't need that much to do so. I doubt anyone thinks the sequels will do nearly as well as the first.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Goldentony

How long will this Abyss cunt keep sticking his head out of his own arse to go, ah this thing is good but Avatar 2 will top it, I guarantee you, you cunts will love Avatar, oh baby, Avatar 2 motherfuckers, Avatar 2 will answer the scret of fucking Avatar. Fuking utter cunt, shut the fuck up about Avatar 2 you clown man.

Replies From View

Quote from: imitationleather on December 29, 2019, 07:22:13 PM
What is Avatar about?

My understanding is that it's a kind of Tron virtual-reality set up, except that instead of looking like Jeff Bridges you have to look like somebody has come at you with an excess of blue facepaint.

Replies From View

Billy

Quote from: batwings on December 29, 2019, 07:49:46 PM
He's talking about a possible re-release of the first Avatar film regaining the record from Endgame as it wouldn't need that much to do so. I doubt anyone thinks the sequels will do nearly as well as the first.

Worth noting that Avatar is still very much ahead of Endgame in the UK, which given the ten-year gap between ticket prices is quite impressive. They're respectively the 4th and 5th highest grossing films ever - two Bonds and a Star Wars make up the top 3.

I loved Avatar as a 21 year old student at the IMAX in Waterloo back in 2010, but not sure if I'd be tempted to bother with it next time around.

Alberon

I thought the 3D was done well (unlike most films since) but the story and characters were utter fucking shit.

Bazooka

I think it will do very well, China will fucking lap it up.  As a series though it doesn't have the merchandise power that marvel does.