Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:59:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Avatar: Parts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19...

Started by Jim Bob, December 28, 2019, 10:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on December 29, 2019, 05:21:45 PM
at least terminator had arnie, the fuck does this have. nothing

Sam "Danger" Worthington. He was handed the baton by Arnie for Terminator Salvation and has been putting bums on seats ever since.

idunnosomename

Avatar is stupid and boring and i hope the sequel bombs and james cameron has to go live in an old shoe

Dex Sawash

When I saw I got annoyed by the glasses in about 20 minutes and took them off.

Piggyoioi

People who complain about Avatar were asking to much of it. I have a feeling they're all going to be pretty damn decent popcorn stuff with absolutely amazing world building, perhaps the most extensive in the history of cinema. No one films a set piece like James Cameron, so it'd be nice to see someone other than George Miller show the newbies how it's done.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: imitationleather on December 29, 2019, 07:22:13 PM
What is Avatar about?
It's about how capitalism is bad and we should fight it, preferably with super-powered blue flying creatures.

I think the reason it's rarely mentioned any more is because of the fairly explicit pro-environmental message.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 30, 2019, 04:11:56 PM
I think the reason it's rarely mentioned any more is because of the fairly explicit pro-environmental message.

I did a short video on one of James Cameron's many egotistical soundbites.  It seems relevant so I'm posting it here.  Excuse the cringe factor of myself 8 years in the past, with his squeaky voice, "I'm oh so angry right now" act and awful attempts at jokes.  Rest assured, I wouldn't be making videos in that style these days.  I think the core point still stands though.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 30, 2019, 04:11:56 PM
It's about how capitalism is bad and we should fight it, preferably with super-powered blue flying creatures.

And it had some fairly heavy handed but sincere anti-imperialism stuff. The 'unobtainium' is clearly middle eastern oil resources

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on December 30, 2019, 04:43:34 PM
And it had some fairly heavy handed but sincere anti-imperialism stuff. The 'unobtainium' is clearly middle eastern oil resources
That's the word I was aiming for. I think a lot of its never being mentioned any more is to do with its message.

Mister Six

More likely because a flimsy bit of pop-cultural fluff that had nothing to remember it by beyond the whizzy visuals and weird penis-hair.

idunnosomename

what colour is na'vi poo. i dont assume it's blue. but i also dont want to assume it's brown either

Jim Bob

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 30, 2019, 09:44:35 PM
what colour is na'vi poo. i dont assume it's blue. but i also dont want to assume it's brown either

70's dog poo white, but with speckles of Sunbaked Terracotta.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Mister Six on December 30, 2019, 09:40:18 PM
More likely because a flimsy bit of pop-cultural fluff that had nothing to remember it by beyond the whizzy visuals and weird penis-hair.
I'd argue that the same director's "Titanic", despite being (slightly) less successful, has had a much longer cultural reach, despite fulfiling the same criteria you stated (apart from the penis-hair thing). I think "Avatar" is about something, whether you think it's any good or not, and that's why it's only ever brought up as the butt of a joke nowadays.

But it's not much of a hill to die on. I didn't think it was all that wonderful a movie but I did appreciate what it tried to say.

Blumf

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 31, 2019, 12:05:49 AM
I think "Avatar" is about something, whether you think it's any good or not, and that's why it's only ever brought up as the butt of a joke nowadays.

Well duh it's about something, the very unsubtle and clunky way that it's handled is the whole problem with that.

What's that you say James? Imperialist military grabs of indigenous lands and resources is bad? Well I never! Perhaps get some 5 year olds in to work on the script though, add a little more subtlety, you know, because it took us all of one second to grasp that.

I mean, that and the title font. Ain't nobody want to see a film that uses Papyrus any more.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I came up with a very similar, but better, premise back in 2002. I'm not saying Cameron stole my thoughts, but he almost certainly did.

Piggyoioi

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 31, 2019, 12:46:00 AM
I came up with a very similar, but better, premise back in 2002. I'm not saying Cameron stole my thoughts, but he almost certainly did.

Cameron wrote his original scriptment in 1995, which is available to read online.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Piggyoioi on December 31, 2019, 02:42:48 PM
Cameron wrote his original scriptment in 1995, which is available to read online.

Yeah, but Claude came up with the idea in 1994.  James Cameron always steals from the best; Harlan Ellison, Roger Dean, Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth...

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Back then I was known as "Claude the Spec Script Writing Screenplay Doctoring Super Scribe" or "Joe Esterhasz".

Mister Six

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 31, 2019, 12:05:49 AM
I'd argue that the same director's "Titanic", despite being (slightly) less successful, has had a much longer cultural reach, despite fulfiling the same criteria you stated (apart from the penis-hair thing). I think "Avatar" is about something, whether you think it's any good or not, and that's why it's only ever brought up as the butt of a joke nowadays.

I think that's delusional. There's no grand conspiracy to undermine the noble politics of James Cameron's Avatar.

I don't really like Titanic, but it had the spectacle and a competent love story that genuinely enchanted millions of hormonal, pubescent girls. Avatar really only had the FX, and that doesn't translate to DVD. it's like asking why Terminator: The Theme Park Ride didn't have more cultural impact. Impact is impossible when the object has no weight.

Phil_A

Quote from: Piggyoioi on December 31, 2019, 02:42:48 PM

However, John Smith & Paul Marshal's Firekind, which has some remarkable similarities, was published in two years before that.

http://heavy.com/movies/sci-fi-movies/2010/01/avatargate-the-case-for-the-prosecution/

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blumf on December 31, 2019, 12:27:51 AM
Well duh it's about something, the very unsubtle and clunky way that it's handled is the whole problem with that.

What's that you say James? Imperialist military grabs of indigenous lands and resources is bad? Well I never! Perhaps get some 5 year olds in to work on the script though, add a little more subtlety, you know, because it took us all of one second to grasp that.

I mean, that and the title font. Ain't nobody want to see a film that uses Papyrus any more.

Yes it's a pretty pedestrian concept compared to something like Aachi & Ssipak

Jim Bob

Well, I for one, learned that it was bad to be horrible to the environment, via Avatar.  I now realise that it's really not on to step on trees and shit.  Like, cabbages have feelings too, you know!  I used to flay sprouts on a weekend.  Now I know better.  Now I cuddle them.  Please tell me what to think, Mr. Hollywood.  After all, you are the paragon of moral virtue.

Aside from that, I also learned that I want to stick my dick into a blue cat person.  Cameron was doing Cats before Cats, as was I.

Peru

Quote from: Phil_A on December 31, 2019, 10:12:05 PM
However, John Smith & Paul Marshal's Firekind, which has some remarkable similarities, was published in two years before that.

http://heavy.com/movies/sci-fi-movies/2010/01/avatargate-the-case-for-the-prosecution/

And Ursula Le Guin's The Word for World is Forest was published about 20 years before that.

olliebean

Quote from: Blumf on December 31, 2019, 12:27:51 AM

Also it kind of threw all that away by couching it in a white saviour narrative.

hedgehog90

Jim Bob

Quote from: hedgehog90 on January 01, 2020, 12:58:58 PM
Don't we all...

PPPPHHHWWWWWOOOOOAAAAAAARRRRRR!

I'm extremely envious that Harry Hill gets to fist Stouffer on a regular basis.

dissolute ocelot

Thinking positive, maybe the sequel will involve a giant "uncrashable" spaceship crashing into the Navi-planet while carrying a sprout-faced Irish simpleton in love with a sexy redhead who's unfortunately betrothed to a Terminator. Maybe throw in some inept, cowardly space-marines and do all the special effects with practicals and models and giant watertanks and a ton of slime. There's no reason that couldn't happen?

Jim Bob

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 09, 2020, 11:15:21 AM
Thinking positive, maybe the sequel will involve a giant "uncrashable" spaceship crashing into the Navi-planet while carrying a sprout-faced Irish simpleton in love with a sexy redhead who's unfortunately betrothed to a Terminator. Maybe throw in some inept, cowardly space-marines and do all the special effects with practicals and models and giant watertanks and a ton of slime. There's no reason that couldn't happen?

Judging by the concept art for the sequel, it looks to be Avatar: More of the Same - Just Add Water...

That last one looks like someone just applied the whirlpool effect in Photoshop to the centre of the picture and called it a day.

hedgehog90

The first image is giving me flashbacks of playing Panzer Dragoon Saga on the Sega Saturn.
The rest of them just look like desktop backgrounds I used when I was 12.

Piggyoioi

visually already looks wildly more original than the recent star wars movies.