Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:00:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Peep Show

Started by rue the polywhirl, December 29, 2019, 01:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I also don't see that any mention of Mark's Dad before we first see him would lead a viewer to believe he was a pushover. Also find that such a strange remark.

As has been said above, the seeds are planted earlier on in the series, Mark references how his Dad controlled him and how generally resentful he is that he wasn't allowed to follow his dreams but instead sat under the thumb of an old miserable dismissive narrow minded cynic only to become a mediocre pen pusher convinced life is all about grinding through.

The guy who plays the Dad is really excellent in that episode. Grimly trying to cling on to the remaining petty aspects in his control as his shitty wan light fades gradually from the world. He is a total cunt and yet utterly believable. You could go outside and find someone just like that in half an hour.

An tSaoi

Anyone who goes a comedy gay voice is exactly the kind of person who would say "Elf n safety, innit?"

I think Mark's dad is played exactly right.

dr beat

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 25, 2021, 01:52:15 PM

The guy who plays the Dad is really excellent in that episode. Grimly trying to cling on to the remaining petty aspects in his control as his shitty wan light fades gradually from the world. He is a total cunt and yet utterly believable. You could go outside and find someone just like that in half an hour.

Yes its a brilliant performance, great casting of Clive Merrison.  You can totally see how to the outside world his Dad is a small man (to use a phrase), but over-compensates by being a controlling ogre within the family unit.  And you can see how Mark might have inherited the same kind of characteristics. 

An tSaoi

Yeah physically he's nothing, but you can imagine how terrifying he would have been to a child Mark.

It's like the bit is Space Jam when the little aliens that got turned into big monsters realise they're bigger than their evil boss.