Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:46:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ford V Ferrari (2019 film about vroom vroom cars)

Started by weekender, December 29, 2019, 01:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekender

Seems to be getting very good reviews and is apparently now 'available' in home cinemas, if you get my drift (car pun).

Do you like cars?  Is this a good film?  The general consensus seems to be that even if you don't like cars this is a good film.

I will watch it later and I shall post some drivel about what, if anything, I remember about it.

BlodwynPig

magval

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: magval on December 29, 2019, 02:31:36 PM
Is this the Matt Damon one that has two names?

Yeah, that's the one, which is called Le Mans '66 in certain countries. Can't say it sounds like my cup of tea so unless at least eight people on here claim it's fucking great I won't be watching it.

BlodwynPig

Famous Mortimer

I like how it turns the plucky underdog story on its head, and is about the world's second largest corporation beating what was essentially one Italian guy.

weekender

It was alright.

Reminded me of how I used to watch Dream Team on a Sunday.

Dex Sawash

Everyone at my job at Big Small, Local Cars has been to see it with their dads and wanked on about how much they loved it and especially when "ole Billy punched Ralph and then they blah blah blah". Fuck that I'll see it in 2 years, maybe, if smbh gives it above 6.4/10

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: weekender on December 29, 2019, 01:47:22 PM
Seems to be getting very good reviews and is apparently now 'available' in home cinemas, if you get my drift (car pun).

Do you like cars?  Is this a good film?  The general consensus seems to be that even if you don't like cars this is a good film.

I don't like cars and thought it was kind of dull. The dream film of some 90s Dad stereotype who probably never really existed. I would never guess Ron Howard would best James Mangold on this front but I thought Rush did a much better job of keeping me interested in this world.

Noodle Lizard

I'm not at all interested in cars or racing, and I thought it was enjoyable enough. Generic as you like, but I didn't get the impression it was trying to be much more than that.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 29, 2019, 06:04:54 PM
I'm not at all interested in cars or racing, and I thought it was enjoyable enough. Generic as you like, but I didn't get the impression it was trying to be much more than that.

They say creativity is dead

buzby

I liked it - it plays a bit fact and loose with the real events, but to the layman not interested in racing history that won't matter. Damon's take at Carool Shelby was very good, Bale was OK - he gets some things right for a Midlander like Ken Miles (like using the phrase 'all around the Wrekin'), but his accent does 'travel around a bit' during the film. Caitriona Balfe as Mollie Miles was also very good, and gets a decent amount of screen time. Ford were involved in the early stages of the production, but once they saw the final draft of the script and elements of it made the Ford management of the time look bad they pulled out.

I saw it at a Cineworld in ScreenX, which is the latest attempt at reviving a CinemaScope/Cinerama super-wide screen thing by having screens on the side walls of the theatre and two extra projectors in the ceiling that show additional footage onto them. There were only a few scenes in the film that had been shot on 3 cameras to utilise this, and some other scenes where the additional footage had been computer-generated from what was being shown on the main screen. It wasn't great - it was more distracting than anything, moslty de to the perspective being odd. However, one of the worst problems is that the projectors in the ceiling need to have their illumination turned on all the time, even when not showing anything. This meant that during quiet scenes the cooling fans from the two projectors were annoyingly audible - it sounded like someone hoovering.

BlodwynPig