Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:39:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood (2019 Mister Rogers film)

Started by weekender, December 29, 2019, 01:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekender

Continuing on the current theme of DVD screeners that look good, A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood is also 'out' now.

Yes, I know they've spelt it wrong, but they're American.

Anyway, even I've heard of Mister Rogers - chap in American TV who was just apparently NICE to everyone, ever.  Seems like a strange and confusing person if you ask me, but there we are.  That's probably why there's a film about him.

Stars some newcomer called 'Tom Hanks'.

Haven't watched it yet.

Small Man Big Horse

I saw the documentary Won't You Be My Neighbor? earlier this year and loved it a lot, but I can't imagine this will bring anything that interesting to the table so unless at least eight people on here claim it's fucking great I won't be watching it.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 29, 2019, 04:06:36 PM
I saw the documentary Won't You Be My Neighbor? earlier this year and loved it a lot, but I can't imagine this will bring anything that interesting to the table so unless at least eight people on here claim it's fucking great I won't be watching it.

Yeah, I might see this but it just seems so trite and biopic/Oscar bait cliche after seeing that documentary.

I also didn't get on with Kidding because its premise of "we know against all odds it seems Mr Rogers was the real deal, but what if he was an angst-ridden stereotype navigating his way through a word of sub-Six Feet Under bullshit" seemed equally lame in the opposite way.

Noodle Lizard

The trailer for this was played before seemingly every film I saw in the cinema this year, and it's hilarious. It's basically just people smiling at each other in various different ways - Tom Hanks saying something kind or wise and someone smiling back at him, or someone saying something else and Tom Hanks smiling back at them. All with this loud as fuck sentimental score. I've got a screener for it, I'm curious to see how long I last.

Puce Moment

I really liked the doc, and as my wife is American is was nice to see her being nostalgic about this, as she has had to hear about British children's TV shows of the 80s ad nauseum.

The film looks to be completely unnecessary. They don't even get the title right.

weekender

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 29, 2019, 06:23:32 PM
It's basically just people smiling at each other in various different ways - Tom Hanks saying something kind or wise and someone smiling back at him, or someone saying something else and Tom Hanks smiling back at them. All with this loud as fuck sentimental score.

It's this, but longer.

5/10.

SteveDave

I've not gotten to the end of it as I lost the will to live but it could easily be recut as a horror film. The scene with Lovely Tom as Lovely Mr in the restaurant where everyone turns to smile at him just needs high tension violins to make it the creepiest thing of 2019.

Malcy

Is the screener good quality? Downloaded it earlier and was going to watch it tonight but it's been such a long time such I watched one I didn't know whether I should or just wait for a nice 1080.