Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 03:57:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

You (Season 2)

Started by BritishHobo, December 29, 2019, 04:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

I remember this didn't get a great reception here last year, which I understand - even though it's very knowing, it's still all dressed up in glossy aspirational CW drama style. But I really enjoyed it. Like I say, I think it knew what it was going for, and the wanky voiceovers and the like felt like a fun, subverted take on the usual intense romantic drama. I liked that the show knew Dan from Gossip Girl was a fucking creep, and it never tried to convince you otherwise. It's fun being in the head of a clear-cut maniac, in this style of show, and hearing his nice-guy rationalisations.

Only watched one episode of the new season but it's already done a lovely, fun bit of rug-pulling that lets you know its fully aware of how batshit it is. You get some obvious digs at certain self-important hipster groups, with that Liam Williams/Pls Like self-awareness, that Dan from Gossip Girl is still a bit of a self-important berk himself, looking down on people who are fairly harnless compared to his homicidal tendencies (Pls Like comparisons fall down here, sorry).

Non Stop Dancer

I'm on episode 8. Just like the first series, it hooked me in at first and got duller and dafter the more it goes on. The wife will insist on seeing it through but we're both on our phones half watching it, as I'm literally doing right now.

Bently Sheds

"Hello? Is that the Hyperbaric Book Chambers shop? Yes, I'd like to have a hyperbaric book chamber big enough to house a fully grown adult built in a massive lock-up in an anonymous storage facility in Los Angeles, please.

How will I be paying? Well, I'm a part-time coffee shop clerk in a bookstore, so payment won't be a problem.

My name? Of course, it's Shit Dexter."

Bently Sheds

Ha! He even got called Dexter in the episode I just watched. Excellent!

Icehaven

Did I miss it or is it never explained if there's a reason why the twins are named after tennis scores? Anyway yes agree season two was even madder than the first, saw the final "twist" coming a mile off too (although tbh this wasn't difficult seeing as it was signposted from about halfway through the previous episode.)

It was alright, but (and this is a problem with a lot of series) you know there's no way Joe was going to either die or go to prison because there's intended to be more series. With this show the only real jeopardy is who else is going to end up dead or suffering some other serious consequence, because you know Joe isn't, as it has to end with him still able to keep doing his creepy thing.

BritishHobo

Finally finished this in isolation times. Enjoyed all the hipster LA wanker stuff (Forty was good value in the end - also I never clocked the tennis thing, good spot) but yeah, the unbelievable way it has to twist things so Joe can keep going is a bit daft. When
Spoiler alert
Love went all Lady Macbeth and killed Candace
[close]
, I was rolling my eyes. Also not sure I could be arsed with the woe-is-me introspection of Joe realising why he is how he is - prefer it when he's just an out-and-out maniac, completely lying to himself. Him realising what he's doing is wrong opens the show up to growth and redemption (as does making
Spoiler alert
Love into a crazier murderer, which seems proper disingenuous)
[close]
which is fucking mad for what this is. I don't want to understand him. It should just be him being a mad stalker and then getting bumped off or going to prison.

BritishHobo

The ending's fucking funny though.

olliebean

The introspection and soul-searching sets it sailing dangerously close to Dexter.