Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:21:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Celebrity Death List 2020

Started by Ian Drunken Smurf, December 29, 2019, 05:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Menu

Quote from: dr beat on December 31, 2020, 03:05:42 PM
Apologies if this has been mentioned upthread but I've only just learnt that the great TV astronomer Heather Couper died this year, way back in February.  I don't recall anything being mentioned in the news.  I thought she was a fantastic science communicator and always looked forward to her spots on telly.

I didn't know this. It's very sad. She was the only astronomy alternative to Patrick Moore in the 80s so I respected and liked her very much. Horrible news.

Menu

Menu

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 31, 2020, 05:07:26 PM
Awww no that's really sweet

I agree. I do that sort of thing for loved ones who have passed away.  Also:

"George was very into horticulture, [he was] a really good gardener," the "Live and Let Die" singer said"

THE LIVE AND LET DIE SINGER.

Blue Jam

Apparently MF Doom died at Halloween but his family kept it quiet until now. 49. Fuck's sake. Good riddance 2020:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55504199

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Must have been all that rapping and masks.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Menu on December 31, 2020, 10:17:16 PM
I didn't know this. It's very sad. She was the only astronomy alternative to Patrick Moore in the 80s so I respected and liked her very much. Horrible news.

I was never a fan of Patrick Moore but Heather Couper was one of my childhood heroes. Along with Helen Sharman I credit her with getting me into science. Really quite sad about this.

Menu

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 01, 2021, 12:33:10 AM
I was never a fan of Patrick Moore but Heather Couper was one of my childhood heroes, along with Helen Sharman I credit her with getting me into science. Very sad about this.

She'd have been thrilled about that if she'd known. That's a legacy in itself.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Hoping some good celebs die this year. 2020 was a comparatively lean year, and I'm really hoping they up their game.

Bazooka

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on January 01, 2021, 12:37:32 AM
Hoping some good celebs die this year. 2020 was a comparatively lean year, and I'm really hoping they up their game.

I'm afraid there are none left, they were all taken young by swine and hoof syndrome. :(

Blue Jam

Quote from: Menu on January 01, 2021, 12:34:17 AM
She'd have been thrilled about that if she'd known. That's a legacy in itself.

Seriously, I never used to think female role models were important in science etc, but when I thought about it I realised it was probably because I grew up with top Sheffield lass Helen Sharman being the first British astronaut, and watching Heather Couper's The Planets, and I'd had two strong female British role models right there telling me science wasn't a boy thing and there was no reason I couldn't do it myself and just hadn't noticed how lucky I had been. There really, really is something in seeing people like you doing great things and saying "Hey, I did this, you can too".

Just went out to watch the few fireworks that were set off over Edinburgh tonight and spotted a paper lantern drifting in front of Orion, with the stars looking brighter than ever. It made me think of watching The Planets with my dad and then going out to look at Orion through his Navy binoculars. I welled up. It was beautiful.

The Planets was seminal and had a lasting impact on me. RIP Heather:

https://youtu.be/xBlv2Rph4Zc

Menu

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 01, 2021, 12:40:29 AM
Seriously, I never used to think female role models were important in science etc, but when I thought about it I realised it was probably because I grew up with top Sheffield lass Helen Sharman being the first British astronaut, and watching Heather Couper's The Planets, and I'd had two strong female British role models right there telling me science wasn't a boy thing and there was no reason I couldn't do it myself. There really, really is something in seeing people like you doing great things and saying "Hey, I did this, you can too"

The Planets was seminal and had a lasting impact on me. RIP Heather:

https://youtu.be/xBlv2Rph4Zc

That's brilliant, BJ. Love that.

Blue Jam

Astronauts don't all look like Dan Dare and grow on trees in Cape Canaveral. Whatever the anti-woke types say there really is something in that when you're a little kid looking up at the stars and thinking you could never touch them... and then someone comes along and says "Hey kid, one day you just might".

Blue Jam

Adobe Flash. David Firth and Limmy weep, naebody else gies a fuck:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55497353

Blue Jam

Also the Gävle Goat survived 2020. Fucking pointless straw cunt.

Menu

YESSSSSS THE RABBIT'S BACK.

A promising start to 2021.

seepage

JaDanketies

MF DOOM sneaks in at the last minute to top the list for me

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 01, 2021, 01:37:19 AM
Adobe Flash. David Firth and Limmy weep, naebody else gies a fuck:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55497353

I've got a website I haven't updated for 10 years with a super-nifty Flash animation on the front page. RIP.

seepage

^ RIP a lot of silly restaurant home pages. Hopefully instead they'll now display the price of a cup of tea and a ham sandwich.