Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:43:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jim Henson's The Storyteller.

Started by bgmnts, December 29, 2019, 10:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

I have just discovered The Storyteller: Greek Myths today, whilst ill as absolute fuck, and it is bloody good. I have just started on the regular Storyteller narrated by John Hurt!

Fair play the Greek Myths has some good old casting; Michael Gambon, Derek Jacobi, Frances Barber, Art Malik, David Morrissey.

Brian Henson plays the puppet dog and is Michael Gambon's mate and just follows him around. Its really fun.

I dont know if this is children's tv but if it is, its very good and has dark moments. Of course its late 80s/early 90s so looks a bit naff. A very good way for kids to learn about greek mythology though, which is dark as fuck.

Does Jim Henson get the credit he deserves?

Jim Bob

The original series with John Hurt is far superior to the later Michael Gambon one.  My favourite episodes are 'The Soldier and Death', 'A Story Short' and 'The Heartless Giant'.  It's probably not a coincidence that they're the three episodes which I grew up with on VHS as a kid.

Anyway, yeah, great series.  I streamed all of the episodes on (spam) earlier this year.

bgmnts

It may be superior I just saw the Greek ones first by chance, plus i'm biased because Greek mythology is fascinating. I also think Gambon is brilliant in it. John Hurt looks ace though, looks like a Paul Whitehous character.

It really makes me think that nearly all of our best stories are not works by famed authors or directors but these folk stories, a combination of many people's imaginations.

I do love the puppets in this as well, that hedgehog man playing the bagpipes is amazing.

Jim Bob

Quote from: bgmnts on December 30, 2019, 12:14:25 AM
John Hurt looks ace though, looks like a Paul Whitehous character.

Famous inebriated character from The Fast Show, Rowley Birkin QC.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Renowned actor John Hurt CBE, as the titular Storyteller.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

This show absolutely enthralled me as a kid. It was the first appointment viewing I can recall - pretty sure it was shown on Sunday evening as I have a memory of sneaking off to a spare room at a family party at my aunt and uncle's to watch The Luck Child on a big old chunky TV set.

Got them all on DVD when they were released, for a proper burst of nostalgia and found they were just as enjoyable as ever.

gib

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 29, 2019, 11:13:59 PM
The original series with John Hurt is far superior to the later Michael Gambon one.  My favourite episodes are 'The Soldier and Death', 'A Story Short' and 'The Heartless Giant'.  It's probably not a coincidence that they're the three episodes which I grew up with on VHS as a kid.

Anyway, yeah, great series.  I streamed all of the episodes on (spam) earlier this year.

Just started watching these and spotted Mark Williams had a bit part in the second one.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on December 30, 2019, 11:18:37 AM
Got them all on DVD when they were released, for a proper burst of nostalgia and found they were just as enjoyable as ever.

Indeed, it's one of the few nostalgic kid shows which actually does genuinely hold up when revisited as an adult.  I would (and have) happily recommended the series to adults who've never seen it before.

The Giggling Bean

I remember watching this on Sunday evening. They had Press Gang then The Storyteller. Absolutely cracking program and, unfortunately, the sort of thing that probably wouldn't get made today...or at least would be greatly toned down.

There were so many fantastic episodes. My favourites were TheSoldier and Death, Fearnot and A Story Short. Although I've got the Greek Tales series I dont think I've watched it as I dont remember it being broadcast as a kid.

I met John Hurt at the London Film and Comic Con a few years back, 2012 I think, and really wanted to tell him how much I enjoyed it as a kid. However the nearer I got to him the more intimidated I got. I wondered how he'd react at being told his best role, in my opinion, was the one that he wore a big rubber nose in. In the end I got a picture of him in 1984 signed and mumbled about how good he was before scuttling away. I regret that now.