Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:05:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

15 Storeys High

Started by sandpainter 1471z, December 29, 2019, 10:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The search function here is a mystery to me, but I would have liked to see what might have been said about 15 Storeys High, still my all-time favorite comedy. Until 2009 I had only seen the same one episode twice by chance, then found both series in Fopp. I've watched it in awe quite a few times, alone and, rarely for me, with others, who always take to it, people from all along the brainy-div continuum. I read a couple of years ago that a third series was written. I do wish we could at least read the scripts but great though it was I suppose it was not going to break through and make that viable. You occasionally read of leaked early drafts of one film or another - shame this couldn't happen somehow with 15 Storeys High series 3.

So many great moments and incredible minor characters. Vince's Dad answering his mobile and citing his number, a Womble pile-on, wallpaper-focused OCD, a discerning wish to be insulted but accurately, 'Ergh-ergh', ex-smoker Kevin Eldon is groomed back onto the cancer trail, Errol's face-saving self-electrocution...

It's the opposite of shit for cunts isn't it?

Small Man Big Horse

magval

I bought both series, sight unseen, just this week on the strength of its reputation on this very forum so I'll be happy to report on how I get on with it and look forward to hearing what others think too.

Utter Shit

I always loved the swimming pool stuff, Cavan Clerkin is such a convincing nutter. Also the cameo from Mark Lamarr as the violent street performer is fabulous, "this time it looks like it's gonna be custodial".

Sin Agog

Love it*, but Mark Lamarr totally panned 15 Storeys in the DVD extras.  Think his main criticism was that it 'wasn't what he visualised when he was writing.'  Sean Lock fields it kinda well, but you can tell why one of them's still on telly and the other's last moment in the limelight was a photo of him buying cheese puffs in Lidls.

*with the exception of that airport episode.  Felt like the elongated stand-up bit it was.

It seemed more like Lamarr had anxiety or shame about what the reality of the show might be like. Didn't he say he loved writing it, that that was the high point of the endeavour and that the filmed show couldn't live up to that? That he hadn't even seen it. Seemed quite similar to actors not watching their own films and certain musical acts not bing able to listen to the source of their millions.

The idea of being able to read series 3 - reading screenplays is a thing in itself, a different kind of enjoyment. I remember reading Lost Highway and it still unfolding quite powerfully in my mind. The idea of imagining how series 3 would look from reading it based on having seen 1&2 - damn it. Those scripts should be on Lock's website.

the

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 29, 2019, 10:48:50 PMLove it*, but Mark Lamarr totally panned 15 Storeys in the DVD extras.  Think his main criticism was that it 'wasn't what he visualised when he was writing.'

That's not how I read that bit at all, Lamarr just comments that the photography and visual look of the show was very different to how he'd imagined it while they were writing for it. He doesn't 'totally pan' the show itself.

Sin Agog

Quote from: the on December 29, 2019, 11:02:51 PM
That's not how I read that bit at all, Lamarr just comments that the photography and visual look of the show was very different to how he'd imagined it while they were writing for it. He doesn't 'totally pan' the show itself.

He said it in the commentary and in the interview.  It's in the interview where it felt a bit awkward.

the

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 29, 2019, 11:18:14 PMHe said it in the commentary and in the interview.  It's in the interview where it felt a bit awkward.

This interview? Doesn't mention the look of it at all.

Here's the segment in the commentary you're referring to. I think your reading of that is massively exaggerated:

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 29, 2019, 10:48:50 PMMark Lamarr totally panned 15 Storeys in the DVD extras.  Think his main criticism was that it 'wasn't what he visualised when he was writing.'  Sean Lock fields it kinda well, but you can tell why one of them's still on telly and the other's last moment in the limelight was a photo of him buying cheese puffs in Lidls.

alan nagsworth

Re: the aesthetics of it, I think the desaturated colours and the fixed cameras lend extremely well to the show as a whole. It's mundane council block existence, the absence of vibrancy and animation fits perfectly.. It's very rare that the camera moves at all, save for a couple of bits. There's one scene where Vince chucks a false arm in the pool and the camera sways as it follows it under the water and there's a wooziness to it that feels just as artistically striking as every other completely static shot.

I adore this show, of course, and think it's one of the most unique and keenly observed absurdist sitcoms this country has ever produced. All of the little sketches of the other residents in the block are excellent, but one I'll always love the most is in "Blue Rat" where a wired, sleepless Vince observed through his binoculars a party where everyone is dancing around in crash helmets. A quick blurry glimpse of it is all we need, it's hilarious in its total lack of context.

JamesTC

The original radio version is worth a listen too.

The plot that comes to mind from the radio version is Sean winning a paid trip to anywhere he wants and he chooses Anfield because he wants to kick a ball at the face of Emlyn Hughes' son.

phantom_power

The radio version is great, as is its precursor, 15 Minutes of Misery

Twit 2

COME CLEAN YOUR HANDS ON MY COAT

petril

aesthetically it all felt so right to me. the shades, the slowness, really felt like a dull, empty Saturday morning circa 1991

the

Quote from: alan nagsworth on December 30, 2019, 12:23:15 AMRe: the aesthetics of it, I think the desaturated colours and the fixed cameras lend extremely well to the show as a whole. It's mundane council block existence, the absence of vibrancy and animation fits perfectly.. It's very rare that the camera moves at all, save for a couple of bits.
Quote from: petrilTanaka on December 30, 2019, 12:57:54 PMaesthetically it all felt so right to me. the shades, the slowness, really felt like a dull, empty Saturday morning circa 1991

You may know this already, but Lock stated that the direction and visual aesthetic of 15 Storeys High was heavily based on the Swedish film Songs From The Second Floor - trailer (contains some nudity)

Dewt

Yeah, the visual aesthetic of it all was remarkable and perfect.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: the on December 30, 2019, 03:16:05 PM
You may know this already, but Lock stated that the direction and visual aesthetic of 15 Storeys High was heavily based on the Swedish film Songs From The Second Floor - trailer (contains some nudity)

I didn't know that, thank you! Haha it's even got a dude clinging to another dude's ankles as he's walking away like the fella with the Shetland pony in his flat. "PLEASE!!!!!"

JamesTC

Paul Putner having a bath.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: JamesTC on December 30, 2019, 10:34:56 PM
Paul Putner having a bath.

The noise Tobes makes when Putner drops his bat.

Thursday

I always make sure to put the fish slice back the right way round thanks to this.

Quote from: the on December 30, 2019, 03:16:05 PM

Really! I should have twigged. Love all of Roy Andersson's films but saw them later. It seems obvious now. You do feel very enervated after watching them (Andersson's films) - a bit like after being in the hungover masturbation vortex, even though they're ticklish.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Thursday on December 30, 2019, 11:54:11 PM
I always make sure to put the fish slice back the right way round thanks to this.

jesus christ

I see he has a separate price for IV sedation. I don't need the dentist right now, and wouldn't let him near my teeth if his hamster retrieval skills are anything to go by, but I do quite fancy a bit of sedation. Is £200 a fair price? It feels fair right now.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Thursday on December 30, 2019, 11:54:11 PM

Hahah same, think of it every single time..

https://youtu.be/DimYzDqc478 love Lee Cornes I'm the macaroni and cheese bit just for the slight pause before the last "cheese"

Dewt

I immediately related to Vince in this, the moment he asked Errol how long he was going to be sitting there, followed by "this isn't going to work".

Dewt

Also Vince insisting that Errol takes back the stale crisps immediately, because otherwise he (Vince) will eat them. Ugh, horrible!

"IT'S NOT ABOUT CRISPS!"

Dewt

You could watch any episode of this and have ten fantastic things to quote from it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Love it. It's probably in my top five sitcoms. Having all the weird neighbours to cut away to its a real masterstroke, almost like mixing a sketch show into a sitcom. I actually like Cats Does Countdown, but it's hard not to look at this and think that Sean Lock could be doing much better work.