Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:28:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

15 Storeys High

Started by sandpainter 1471z, December 29, 2019, 10:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

Quote from: Dewt on December 31, 2019, 04:00:53 PM
Also Vince insisting that Errol takes back the stale crisps immediately, because otherwise he (Vince) will eat them. Ugh, horrible!

"IT'S NOT ABOUT CRISPS!"

Have I got mug written on my forehead?

Dewt

I love how likable all of the antagonists in this are. The glamour model's boyfriend, for example.

Dewt

You're shit at karate!

It's not just the lines, but they way they ignore him too.

Blumf

Still want a subscription to Quite Big Tits magazine. You know, for the decorating ideas.

Am I imagining this, or did they go some way to implying that the police officer and Vince's dad were not just both played by the same actor but were the same character? When he is being arrested while naked in a travel agent he is familiar with the police in a way that doesn't sound like he just does get collared for a lot of public naturism.

Maybe it's a meta gag about the recurring cast that doesn't quite come off. (These days it feels extra ticklish that Laurel and Hardy films have a recurring cast playing different characters because of a layer of viewing experience that didn't exist when the films were new.)

Or an implication that Vince and his dad are on bad enough terms that the earlier non-nude visit is too embarrassing for Vince to identify his dad in front of Errol.

Or maybe it's just Luke and Leia's kiss and it's me who's guilty of the retconning.

JamesTC

Quote from: Blumf on December 31, 2019, 08:29:05 PM
Still want a subscription to Quite Big Tits magazine. You know, for the decorating ideas.

Fussy bastard.

ASFTSN

This show is with me, all the time, every day. It's perfect.

I always think of Errol, the nicest guy on the planet, trying to swear at Vince with his hands glued to the fishtank, jonesing for a cigarette.

"Y'flippin.......sod!"

ASFTSN

Are you a real policeman?

jsgibble

Quote from: JamesTC on December 31, 2019, 06:31:37 PM
Have I got mug written on my forehead?

"How hard is it to run a shop?(!)"

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Blumf on December 31, 2019, 08:29:05 PM

I just don't think people should be naked in their living rooms. That's where you have Christmas.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: sandpainter 1471z on December 31, 2019, 08:29:36 PM
Am I imagining this, or did they go some way to implying that the police officer and Vince's dad were not just both played by the same actor but were the same character? When he is being arrested while naked in a travel agent he is familiar with the police in a way that doesn't sound like he just does get collared for a lot of public naturism.

Maybe it's a meta gag about the recurring cast that doesn't quite come off. (These days it feels extra ticklish that Laurel and Hardy films have a recurring cast playing different characters because of a layer of viewing experience that didn't exist when the films were new.)

Or an implication that Vince and his dad are on bad enough terms that the earlier non-nude visit is too embarrassing for Vince to identify his dad in front of Errol.

Or maybe it's just Luke and Leia's kiss and it's me who's guilty of the retconning.
Yes. You're definitely imagining that.

Benjaminos

Quote from: Dewt on December 31, 2019, 04:03:39 PM
You could watch any episode of this and have ten fantastic things to quote from it.

"Is there a thing such as skimmed?"

Something about the slightly mangled grammar (and Errol's "Mmm. That sounds nice." follow up) really tickles me for some reason.

Dewt

I paraphrase that all the time.

timebug

Marc put me onto this and got me the complete set on DVD. I then went backwards and found the Radio Version which preceeded the TV show,and I also discovered the radio show '15 Minutes of Misery'. If you are into Sean at all, the radio stuff is well worth searching the net for (thats where I found them!).
Great stuff and I am still baffled why more folk don't know about it/aren't into it!
Still, the Beeb keep churning out shit like Mrs Browns Boys for the less menatlly agile amomg us......

Seem to have found all the radio stuff just now. I don't know if this means I'll be hearing Radio 4 listeners laughing or comedy fans laughing. Best not to think about it. But I'm as near as I get to excited to able to listen to this, having forgotten I once knew of it.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Benjaminos on January 04, 2020, 10:00:58 PM
"Is there a thing such as skimmed?"

Something about the slightly mangled grammar (and Errol's "Mmm. That sounds nice." follow up) really tickles me for some reason.

I always liked when Errol's at the paint shop "Is there such a thing as two litres?"

phantom_power

Is there any consensus on which Errol is best, radio or TV?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: phantom_power on January 15, 2020, 12:40:57 PM
Is there any consensus on which Errol is best, radio or TV?

Radio Errol regenerates every couple of episodes. Benedict Wong absolutely made the role his own.

Sebastian Cobb

Is Hatty Haydridge in the radio one?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 15, 2020, 07:44:54 PM
Is Hatty Haydridge in the radio one?

She's a regular in 15 Minutes of Misery, and from memory, she plays the spiteful health visitor in the radio 15 Storeys High.

SteveDave

Even though I know it's coming, the little boy with the raspy Northern voice in "Pool Kids" still gets me every time.

And the other little boy who shouts "NOT GUILTY!"

alan nagsworth

Quote from: SteveDave on January 15, 2020, 10:00:05 PM
Even though I know it's coming, the little boy with the raspy Northern voice in "Pool Kids" still gets me every time.

And the other little boy who shouts "NOT GUILTY!"

"I went to the fair once. They said, 'do you want to go on a scary ride?' I said, 'I don't need to. I came here on the bus with my mother. BOLLOCKS'."

the

That whole negotiation scene with the surprisingly cultured deep-voiced Northern kid is fantastic.

Blumf

"Listen, son, you've got the mane of Samson"

Also, from earlier in the episode, pure Vince:

Kid: I'll get my dad on you
Vince: You haven't got a dad
Kid: Yes I have
Vince: Not at home

studpuppet

Quote from: Dewt on December 31, 2019, 07:21:11 PM
I love how likeable all of the antagonists in this are. The glamour model's boyfriend, for example.

TBF the glamour model is also quite likeable...

I like that the resolution of that plot is just her cheerfully saying, "Nah, fuck him."

magval

Does the vicar in this saying "look at my face, do I look bothered" predate the Catherine Tate sketch, or is it a reference to it?

Dewt

It's the same time as Tate was touring the character and getting bad audience feedback according to Wikipedia, so it's either independent or a result of somebody moving in comedy circles cribbing from each other.

I think you can at least say that Tate didn't steal it from the show.

magval

Finished watching this. I can add it to Down the Line as a thing I think I'll treasure forever that this forum has introduced me to. I might have come across it independently, but I doubt I would have.

It's extremely funny, in that rare way that hours later, when I was out and about, I'd be laughing about its ideas (like Errol having a compulsion to destroy wallpaper and have to hide the evidence for one episode) as much as lines and visual gags. Youse have mentioned some of my favourites - come clean yer hands on me coat, is there such a thing as two litres - but you could pore over this for tiny things for years and find them every time, I reckon.

Great guest cast, as well. About four or five episodes into it, I felt like it was establishing then running down a checklist of people I'd want to turn up in it, and sure enough Bill Bailey, Felix Dexter and Kevin Eldon all appeared shortly after.

Cheers, Cook'd and Bomb'd. Fucking brilliant comedy.