Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:43:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Neil Innes Has Died

Started by neveragain, December 30, 2019, 12:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neveragain

garbed_attic

My partner used to date his son and has nothing but praise for the man. She's said that if it were easier to remain friends with an ex's dad, she very much would have done.

neveragain

It's not been confirmed on any of the usual sources but lots of people who should know are eulogising on Twitter.

Thursday

Just fucking awful.

The ending the decade deserves.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Now, here's the twist; he doesn't exist ( on this temporal plain).

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The Innes Book Of Death Records

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Death CaB ( Announcement) for Nasty.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

He Must Be Interred.

unless he's cremated.

pigamus

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Replies From View

Very sad news.  RIP The Talented Rutle.

PinkNoise

Nasty Is Also Dead

Brilliant man, terrible news. Blasting the Rutles LP now. Bloody hell, he was good.

Attila

It's on the Guardian now

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/dec/30/neil-innes-the-rutles-monty-python-dies

Mr Attila just came in and told me, assuming I'd already known. Just gutted. I was only recently looking to see when he'd be touring again. He was always incredibly nice at his gigs, and once signed a ticket for me (and in character) as Ron Nasty.

I think he would appreciate it if I would honestly say I'm both shocked and stunned at the news (especially the way it was just delivered).

Chriddof

This has hit me like a freight train. Can't think of anything else to say. Rest in peace.

Fisher Goes Berserk

weekender

Awful news.

The musical talent he had, juxtaposed with genius lyricists, was simply sublime.  I know Idle probably wrote most of the lyrics to this, but "Brave Sir Robin" is one of the greatest moments of all time, in no small part to Mr Innes's musical contribution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYFefppqEtE

kalowski

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Attila on December 30, 2019, 02:25:06 PMhttps://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/dec/30/neil-innes-the-rutles-monty-python-dies

QuoteInnes also contributed the whistled melody to Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, from Life of Brian.​

Things I didn't know yesterday.

RIP Neil.

Dewt

Sorry, wrong, I saw Eric Idle do it on camera. There's no way they could have faked that.

DrGreggles

Fuck, that's genuinely upsetting.

R.I.P. Neil

Jake Thingray

Serves me right for listening to BBC Radio Wales, when I'm not Welsh and don't live there, but their newsreader on the 2 pm news earlier clearly had no idea who Innes was, pronounced "the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band" as if it was something in a foreign language, and seemed to think The Rutles had been a "BBC series".

Pdine

Sky News presenter just told us that 'Neil Ins', who performed with 'The Rootles', has died. *sigh*

I wonder what will happen about the gigs the Bonzos had booked for next year?

alan nagsworth

The man was an incredible songwriter. There's The Olivia Tremor Control and there's Ween and there's The Beatles and there's Neil Innes.

I'm not sure how overlooked his solo act The World is, but it's worth checking out. Not The First Time is a wonderfully pretty and catchy song. I don't doubt that hearing it would get some of you a bit wet around the eyes, as it did to me just now.

Spudgun

Also shocked and stunned™.

Neil's performance in The Rutles is the best portrayal of John Lennon by any actor ever, even though he wasn't technically playing John at all. I loved his bits in RWT, was intrigued by Innes Book of Records, and of course his Python contribution added so much. Supremely talented, always funny, and on the wrong end of far too many legal disputes over his music for such an apparently nice guy.

It won't be high up in any of his obituaries, but those of us of a certain age will have known Neil as the wizard in Puddle Lane (https://youtu.be/6pdsCxPgwnc), the narrator of The Raggy Dolls (for which he also wrote and sang the oh-so-catchy theme tune - https://youtu.be/_DnViGAPOFM), and several other kids' shows in the 80s and early 90s.

Rizla

Quote from: Spudgun on December 30, 2019, 08:59:31 PM

Neil's performance in The Rutles is the best portrayal of John Lennon by any actor ever
You're not wrong. I'd love to know if the lines "I'd like to own a squadron of tanks" and "I think it proves you're all daft! I s'pose I'll get into trouble for saying that now!", as well as Barry's "I'd like to be a hairdresser, or two. I'd like to be two hairdressers" were scripted by Idle or if they came out of improvisation, they're easily some of the funniest bits of dialogue in the film. I'll maybe head to Barry's pub in Cambridge and ask him.

idunnosomename

fuck me, the raggy dolls. and he did the scripts, voices and narration on the whole thing as well as the theme toon. fuck my hat.