Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:38:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Delgados 'amicably disband'.

Started by VorpalSword, April 08, 2005, 09:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VorpalSword

Quote from: "The E-mail I recieved two hours ago"
The Delgados, influential figures in Glasgow's independent music scene for over 10 years, have announced that they are to amicably disband.  The reason has been put down to the departure of their bass player Stewart Henderson who informed the band in the New Year that he did not wish to make another album.  The Delgados have always been known as uniquely collaborative songwriters and as such, it was decided that the band could not continue without all of its original members.

The Delgados leave behind them 5 critically acclaimed albums including The Great Eastern, Hate and last year's Universal Audio.  Their two principal songwriters Emma Pollock and Alun Woodward will be pursuing individual projects and drummer Paul Savage will continue production duties at the band's Chem19 Studios in Hamilton.

The four friends will continue to run their record label Chemikal Underground in this, its 10th Anniversary year, with releases scheduled for Malcolm Middleton, Mother & The Addicts and Arab Strap.  They are extremely grateful to everyone who has supported The Delgados over the course of their career.

This news has pissed me off no end. I recently got into The Delgados after hearing a track of theirs ("Keep on Breathing") on a blog I often read. I downloaded "Universal Audio" and was blown away by how good it was. It's replaced "Garden State" as my most listened to album in the past several days.

So, any other fans?

Bigflood

The Great Eastern is one of my all time favourite albums and was the first time I'd heard orchestral arrangements used so well in indie music. Missed the chance to see them do it live at the Leeds festival in 2000 too, never forgiven myself.  I'm going to have to get Universal Audio, I've got the rest and they're all great.  Fuck it, I'm upset about this.

dan dirty ape

That's a shame. 'Domestiques' is an album that instantly takes me back to my first year at uni. They've written some really beautiful songs (the bits where Emma Pollock comes in on 'Everything Goes Around The Water' always give the hairs on the back of my neck a workout) and some first rate scrappy indie noise gems ('Under Canvas Under Wraps', 'Sucrose'). I look forward to hearing whatever various members do next.