Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:52:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Free speech warrior Andrew Doyle has a hissy fit and threatens a lolsuit [split topic]

Started by hummingofevil, December 30, 2019, 10:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

Is this the right place for this?

https://twitter.com/SamWhyte/status/1210332103428182018?s=20

Follow the thread. Sam Whyte makes a joke about Andrew Doyle and Douglas Murray so the libertarian free-speech edgelord and interviewer of Gervais is threatening to sue her. For a joke. Ha ha. These cunts really do take the biscuit.

From that article with Gervaise (written by Andrew Doyle).

"There is something inherently funny, as well as deeply entitled, about those who believe that stand-up comics should be able to anticipate the personal boundaries of strangers before writing their material. 'I want people to stop saying "That joke is offensive". You should say you found it offensive because you've got to own the emotion. That's all it is. It's an emotion, an opinion. As a comedian you can't please everyone. If you try you'll end up pleasing no one and saying nothing.'

When the Twitter mobs come, he is never tempted to apologise. 'You mustn't, because that's the end. The end of satire and the erosion of freedom of speech based on people's feelings will have a catastrophic effect. It's not just that comedians will be a bit grumpy or won't be able to say things. It's not the same as not allowing Bernard Manning to say the N-word on TV. It's something much, much darker and more Orwellian. It really is."

jobotic

Fucking hell there's a depressing amount of Autopsy Turveys tweeting in response to that. All exactly the same fucking thing too.

idunnosomename

well probably should be in the titania mcgrath thread but all this blue tick bigot bollocks blurs into one

imitationleather

Oh blimey. He comes across as utterly pathetic. Sam Whyte is good stuff though.

idunnosomename

god is it really a year tomorrow since absolute vacuum of talent Toby Young got appointed to the board of the office for students

and what's jo up to now

bgmnts

Just incredible.

You know what a big, depressing thing is? The fact that this comedy is soooooo lazy. It's secondary school stuff, it's subversiveness as a 13 year old cunt who just heard the word faggot would do.

The idea of adults both peforming and enjoying this just depresses me to bits. No growth.

Although I will admit to loving Eddie Murphy's standups, despite them being a bit childish, but he has exceptional delivery and timing. Plus he has a large body of first rate work in films and such ehich show just how much of a comedic talent. So maybe you can be a bit of a cunt, just at least try and do some other stuff

Autopsy Turvey

To be clear, I am no fan of Andrew Doyle, how could you be, there's nothing there, and this is all such time wastey twitter piss. Anyone who resorts to this sort of "genuinely vile human" language has let their argument down, like your opponent is Peter Sutcliffe.

I've started reading his Titania McGrath book that's obviously written 'in character' and I have been forced to the conclusion that his preoccupation with extremely online cultural war shit is basically pathological. He's a middle aged man writing as a female teenager on the internet that he hates, and he misses no oppurtunity to write screeds about the female anatomy that are quite bizarre and sordid both in their fervour and their frequency. I'm quite online, but even I don't understand the reference points for much of it, and this guy is about 15 years older than me at least. Imagine a 40something year old man getting deep into tumblr just to find material that he can use as a pretext to write terrible parody poetry where he speaks in the voice of a much younger woman talking about her 'udders'. He's clearly stared into the abyss too long and broken his own brain by fixating on this stuff too much. He's exactly the sort of extremely online, thin-skinned, idpol obsessed culture warrior that he claims to decry.

idunnosomename

i think actually he's just a regular (that is, not genuinely clever) oxbridge cunt who's gone down a rabbit hole of this whole pathetic "satirical" journalism, got a spot in the spectator and it's gone on profitably from there, and he should be at the very least mocked mercilessly for how shit he is

I thought that too until I read this fucking thing, 150 pages of this stuff, who could possibly pay enough attention to this fringe woke shit to produce that much, let alone tweeting every day about it from two different twitter accounts. The man is ill

idunnosomename

at least radical angry lefties help charity drives and stuff even if arguably they dont change anyone's politics. the right pundits just seem to destroy their own minds with hatred

Thursday

He genuinely seems to believe he's left wing, but doesn't seem to find all the far right accounts that like Titania McGrath odd.

He would probably say that this is proof of him creating necessary dialogue with 'the other side'. To what end, who knows. His politics are 'free speech' and that the left keeps losing because they don't like free speech enough. This is enough to sustain a career in the commentariat nowadays

Barry Admin

Yikes. Time for this chancer to stop parading himself around as a "satirist rather than a comedian.'

Ferris

Seems like the sort of wally who thinks using "hence" in a tweet makes him sound intelligent, and followed by people who think using "hence" in a tweet makes him sound intelligent.

I turned 15 and grew out of it, I wonder what his excuse is. Twitter, I suppose. Desperate stuff.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 31, 2019, 01:52:03 AM
What do lambdas signify on twitter these days?

Could be shorthand for lamb madras.

Edit: or diehard Half Life fans.

QDRPHNC

Barry Admin

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 31, 2019, 03:44:31 AM
"It's different when I do it."

Yep, sums it up quite nicely.

He also just sounds like a fucking cringey twat, with all his constant moaning about the supposed "woke menace." Guy really needs a point of view and more material, but he just seems to want to dick around with this tedious shit about pronouns and culture war bullshit.

Thursday

Even that other right-wing Andrew comedian had more self-awareness than this.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The curse of being an empathy void is that you will never recognise injustice until it happens to you.

Funny how it is nearly always right wingers who fall into this trap.

jobotic

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on December 30, 2019, 11:25:58 PM
To be clear, I am no fan of Andrew Doyle, how could you be, there's nothing there, and this is all such time wastey twitter piss. Anyone who resorts to this sort of "genuinely vile human" language has let their argument down, like your opponent is Peter Sutcliffe.

Yet you sound just like him,

poodlefaker

I picked up a free copy of The Critic (a new magazine that looked interesting) from the foyer at work; turns out it's produced by Toby Young, and it's full of this shit. All the usual names: rich, old white media men whining about their victimhood, with nowhere to express their "unfashionable" views apart from in thick, glossy, expensively-published magazines bankrolled by their mates.

Cursus

Ugh. Clearly one to avoid.

Quote from: About the CriticThe Critic exists to push back against a self-regarding and dangerous consensus that finds critical voices troubling, triggering, insensitive and disrespectful. The point is not provocation or trolling. The point of honest criticism is to better approach truth, not deny its possibility.