Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,344
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:01:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The all new fantastic Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band thread

Started by Nowhere Man, December 31, 2019, 12:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kngen

So here's a thing. Yesterday, I was digging out a record to give to a friend that I'd bought about 10 years ago but filed away without really looking at it, and out slipped the insert pictured below. Entirely unrelated to the record sleeve it was in, it seems to be the poster insert for Sir Henry At Rawlinson's End. On closer inspection, I think it might actually be signed by the man himself:

Does anyone have the insert to compare it to? If it is indeed signed, I get the feeling this had been stored away for safekeeping (but then forgotten about, and the record was sold in a clearout. The amount of gig flyers, tickets, flexis, posters, letters from band members etc that have been lost this way ... I dread to think.)

Will be extremely chuffed if it turns out to be have been graced by his wonderful hand.

kalowski

I listened to Keynsham on the way home the other day. It's bloody brilliant isn't it? They were properly Avant Garde, funny and fucking cool at the same time.
And I could listen to "Tent" all night long.
Oh, yes, my love is so inscrutable
In a stoic sort of way
But, baby, it's as beautiful
As a tourniquet

They were properly surreal (or Dadaist, I suppose). The imagery is perfect.

More than that, when they wanted to they could really rock, like You Done My Brain In, Beautiful Zelda, Rockaliser Baby and Mr Apollo.

purlieu

'Tent', 'Mr Slaters' Parrot' and 'Noises for the Leg' are particularly fun on that one. So good.

poodlefaker

It's Innes' "straight" songs that make Keynsham their classic, IMO. The level of songwriting and production is so high. Also "The Bride Stripped Bare..." is perhaps the best thing they ever did.

kalowski

Quote from: poodlefaker on January 11, 2020, 11:49:34 PM
It's Innes' "straight" songs that make Keynsham their classic, IMO. The level of songwriting and production is so high. Also "The Bride Stripped Bare..." is perhaps the best thing they ever did.
Oh really? No, Sir, O'Reilly!

You are right, and I can't believe I forgot to mention it.

Head Gardener

Quote from: kngen on January 11, 2020, 03:23:05 PM

Will be extremely chuffed if it turns out to be have been graced by his wonderful hand.

that is really cool, I would say it is signed as although I cannot find my copy despite digging for ages I would definitely have noticed that on the insert if it was there (which I'm sure it isn't) so am pretty sure you got a real one there.

Head Gardener

ahhh... update, I found my copy and it has the same signature so it's actually unlikely to be real (unless he signed ALL of them) it bloody looks real haha, dunno how i missed that previously

Head Gardener

I had also forgotten that my copy was signed on the front!

kngen

Quote from: Head Gardener on January 12, 2020, 09:57:11 AM
ahhh... update, I found my copy and it has the same signature so it's actually unlikely to be real (unless he signed ALL of them) it bloody looks real haha, dunno how i missed that previously

Ah bugger. Ah well, thanks for checking!

kngen

Quote from: Head Gardener on January 12, 2020, 10:04:21 AM
I had also forgotten that my copy was signed on the front!

No, I think all the covers had that. It just was weirdly apposite for you!

A regret, one of many:
Many years ago I was in a pub garden in Twickenham (The White Swan, since you ask) and got talking to people on the next table.  One of them worked with Stanshall - I can't remember in what capacity. When I said I was a fan she said 'he likes meeting new people- give him a call' and gave me his phone number.
Did I do this? No, I did not, because I was a scared idiot.

ajsmith2

A partial clip of Michael Palin dancing to 'My Brother Makes The Noises For Te Talkes' from the NOW! show of 1966 just surfaced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id5T3663YLM&feature=youtu.be

sirhenry

Cheers for that! It's amazing that there's still 'lost' stuff turning up over 50 years after the event, even if it is just MP doing a very bad mime to a recording. It may not be David Armand, but it's better than nothing.

famethrowa

Quote from: ajsmith2 on May 27, 2020, 10:13:14 AM
A partial clip of Michael Palin dancing to 'My Brother Makes The Noises For Te Talkes' from the NOW! show of 1966 just surfaced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id5T3663YLM&feature=youtu.be

Looks like Split Enz!

kalowski

I love that song. I've not heard it in ages. I love the burp after "He's even got a sound for Lillian Gish."

Nowhere Man

The Bonzo's have been on my mind quite a bit recently since i've been watching much of their stuff on YT, I never fail to be amazed by just how brilliant they all were.

Jollity Farm (colourised)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwksszrDYNw&ab_channel=GarrettGilchrist

Beautiful Zelda (colourised)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx1Zt0tx0rQ

Live recording of Viv singing 'Jollity Farm' in 1991
https://thoughtcatalog.com/nicole-mullen/page/3/

Viv interview with Toyah Willcox in 1980
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjHdPvNJLMs&ab

Kankurette

Grunt! Howl! Grunt! Howl!

My Pink Half of the Drainpipe is a classic. Especially when Viv rants about Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Paaaaul on January 09, 2020, 06:08:04 AMThere is due to be a 11xCD box set released this year of everything Bonzo which looks like it will be the definitive statement.

This is due for release this year now. It's going to be 15 or 16 x CDs and 4 x DVDs.

studpuppet

Quote from: Kankurette on March 15, 2022, 01:59:00 AMLord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head.

Which was a real thing - it was a stage prop akin to what's on the far right of this photo (or that may even be it?).

(What a great-looking band, by the way. Even The Mothers didn't look that good.)

Quote from: studpuppet on March 27, 2022, 06:07:19 PMWhich was a real thing - it was a stage prop akin to what's on the far right of this photo (or that may even be it?).

(What a great-looking band, by the way. Even The Mothers didn't look that good.)

Also none of them have yet turned out to be sex pests or paedophiles, so they've also got that over the Mothers.