Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:37:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Karl Pilkington - new series of Sick Of It [split topic]

Started by thelittlemango, December 30, 2019, 01:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Great stuff. Was thinking it was due soon. I wonder will it all be released in one go again.

Nice one. Didn't even realise there was a second lot in the works.

Really liked the first series, lovely and low-key and with something genuine to say about loneliness. Not at all what I expected from the initial trailers.

Dewt

It really does seem that everybody from Gervais' best works is capable of creating great works of pathos usually attributed to the man himself.

Dr Funke

Quote from: Malcy on December 30, 2019, 02:47:29 PM
Great stuff. Was thinking it was due soon. I wonder will it all be released in one go again.

Pretty sure the advert I saw for it said that all episodes would be available to watch on 10 Jan.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Dewt on December 30, 2019, 03:58:18 PM
It really does seem that everybody from Gervais' best works is capable of creating great works of pathos usually attributed to the man himself.

To add to that, between The Moaning Of Life and Sick Of It, the "thick, bald-headed Manc" has probably produced the best solo efforts out of all three of them. I don't think anyone could've predicted that 10 years ago.

bgmnts

Incredible isn't it.

Never thought a Karl Pilkington Doug Stanhope collaboration was a thing that would ever happen.

They both look gorgeously miserable though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: thelittlemango on December 30, 2019, 01:56:06 PM
New series is out Jan 10th, trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg0zj96jTLk

Really looking forward to this one.

Did anyone else get sucked in by Stinky Dinkins post?

Jim Bob

Doubt I'll bother with this.  I watched the first couple of episodes of series 1 and was left unimpressed by it.  It wasn't bad, kinda sweet but also rather dull.  I also didn't care for the central gimmick of the show, which I found it to be an annoyance that I wish wasn't there.

Quote from: thelittlemango on December 31, 2019, 10:23:41 AM
?

Quote from:  Stinky DinkinsI was there on set when they were filming a scene where Karl gets in an argument with a pizza delivery boy because Karl tried to tip with spare change and the kid got upset. Honestly it was some of the best acting I've ever seen, Karl and the guy were screaming at each other and then the pizza guy threw the pizza at Karl and they had a bit of a wrestle. Karl ended up knocking the kid's hat off during the fight and I couldn't believe it when I got a full look of the kid's face. Turns out, little monkey fella.

bgmnts

Oh man, reading that just brought me to a certain place of pleasure.

Sebastian Cobb

Good interview between Keaveny and Pilkington on 6 music today, went 3pm onwards.

Tony Yeboah

Karl is on the latest Distraction Pieces podcast as well.

keir

They seem so focussed on on-demand that it's only being actually broadcast in a very perfunctory way - Episode 1 appears to be premiereing at 2am. Is this normal for Sky? I don't watch much on it so I don't know. It doesn't inconvenience me anyway, I've got a series link on the tivo.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: keir on January 08, 2020, 11:35:37 PM
They seem so focussed on on-demand that it's only being actually broadcast in a very perfunctory way - Episode 1 appears to be premiereing at 2am. Is this normal for Sky? I don't watch much on it so I don't know. It doesn't inconvenience me anyway, I've got a series link on the tivo.

It's on Fridays at 10 pm. Good of them to interrupt the reruns of A League Of Their Own: European Vacation.

Replies From View

Will there be ways of watching this for those without Sky?

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Replies From View on January 09, 2020, 11:20:39 AM
Will there be ways of watching this for those without Sky?

[plays Drunken Sailor on a squeezebox while wearing an eyepatch]

Malcy

Watched the lot and it's brilliant. Really enjoyed it. Hope he makes another series of it as well.

Small Man Big Horse

Replies From View

SteK

Well started watching this after downloading it, I'm not getting it at all. No structure, just KP playing up to his Gervais character.

I prefect Merchant's stuff out of the three, just aligns with my funny bone. Gervais' stuff, whilst getting more and more up itself, at least has structure, sub plots, and some laughs.

This is sub-Paul Calf.....

Sebastian Cobb

I've watched the first couple, am enjoying it. I don't think it's 'sub-Calf' playing up to his radio persona. I think they're doing a good job of conveying how he's out of sorts with the world, feeling listless especially since he now can't distract himself with caring for his aunt.

There's something quite cinematic about the way this is shot and made I feel, it was there in the first series as well.

oy vey

Don't give up on this too quickly. It clicks after 3-4 eps. Mr. Pilkingbod is way better when he's given a chance to breathe.

SteK

I will stick with it cos I do like KP, bit one-trick but it's a good trick....

the science eel

I love it. There's obviously more involvement from 'other people', but KP's doing what he always does.

I'm finding it much more detailed and...I dunno, sweet? than the first season.

I've recognised TWO songs from the soundtrack so far (after four eps). Fuck knows who's responsible but they're not obvious choices. And they're not in the credits.

jsgibble

One thing I like about this is how humble it is. It's not cynical like After Life or some others where you have one main character who gets to make biting comments and everyone else is written as an idiot.

If anything this is the opposite, it's very personal and he gets his viewpoint across perfectly without needing to be proven right in every scenario.

Quote from: jsgibble on January 13, 2020, 08:09:42 AM
One thing I like about this is how humble it is. It's not cynical like After Life or some others where you have one main character who gets to make biting comments and everyone else is written as an idiot.

If anything this is the opposite, it's very personal and he gets his viewpoint across perfectly without needing to be proven right in every scenario.

That's a great point, and I think that's the core of why I really liked the first series too (haven't watched the second yet but looking forward to it).

As well as being humble and small it wasn't afraid to be weird and slow and hesitant and I think it was all the better for it. It didn't seem to care about having a mass appeal whereas everything in Afterlife seemed rigourously engineered to be divvied up into memes and YouTube clips.

Noodle Lizard

I banged through this yesterday (except Ep5, which was corrupted, but I got the gist) and I liked it. It did occur to me more this time that it paints in very broad strokes: a lot of the plots are almost unforgivably generic and many of the characters are perfunctory and one-dimensional, but I think that's somewhat deliberate (unlike in, say, Derek). The show is really just about Karl (who I think is in every scene), and uses these situational and personality templates as a springboard to explore Karl's character and psyche. All of that stuff is great and since that's the essence of the show, it's hard to say it failed.

Did anyone think Doug Stanhope's character was a direct reference to the suicidal character he played in that episode of Louie? They share a name, the same abrasive personality and his first lines are something to the effect of "I'm Eddie, and I want to kill myself." Seems like a big coincidence if not.

Mr. Ssmsslth

I quite like it but prefered the more episodic structure of the first series.

SteK

I'm liking it more, by ep6 had sync issues for me.....