Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:40:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst Acting in a Comedy Episode

Started by SteK, December 31, 2019, 12:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Not the worst but I was surprised Carly from The Inbetweeners managed to land a role on one of the soaps after her work on that.

Noodle Lizard

Stubble/Merchant Navy from Derek is pretty bad, but it's probably not the actor's fault. I'm also not sure any of those can really be called Comedy Episodes in the traditional sense.

SteK

Quote from: Ray Travez on December 31, 2019, 08:30:37 PM
Daniel Simonsen in house of fools. I like how bad he is though.

Tried to watch House of Fools, I thought it was awful and I love Vic and Bob. Seemed like it was trying to be Morecambe and Wise but just the scenes in the house.....

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 31, 2019, 08:54:00 PM
Stubble/Merchant Navy from Derek is pretty bad, but it's probably not the actor's fault.

He's given little to work with but he's still very shit, which is impressive considering what he's surrounded with. There's underplaying and then there's mumbling all your lines while squinting.

SteK

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 31, 2019, 08:54:00 PM
Stubble/Merchant Navy from Derek is pretty bad, but it's probably not the actor's fault. I'm also not sure any of those can really be called Comedy Episodes in the traditional sense.

Is that David Earl? He was in Extras too if it is as a Millman fan, just shite. Do the glasses, do the wig, do the funny voice....

George White

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 31, 2019, 06:24:44 PM
The Germans in Fawlty Towers.
They were frequent non-speaking supporting artistes. Both Lisa Bergmayr, the woman who meets Fawlty at the desk and Willy Bowman, the head of the family at the dinner table have a ton of non-speaking uncredited bits.  Bowman has uncredited bits in Batman, Top Secret and Frenzy.

SteK

Wir Wollen ein Auto Mieten

You're volunteering to get some meat!

There is no need, Ve Haf meat heir in ze building!

Fuk me how much we laughed at that and the Poland remark at school next day, talked of nothing else. Oddly enough that The Life of Brian at Bolton Odeon (demolished - criminal) where the only times I can remember this sort of thing being the whole topic for days or weeks at the time, suppose there wan't much else really.....

lazyhour

Surprised Noel Fielding's turn in The IT Crowd hasn't come up yet. Nothing about his voice or delivery works. It's pretty excruciating.

The kid whom Basil wanted to be highly strung.

idunnosomename

a lot of these bad actors are fairly prolific but they just did crossroads and other shit soaps. I suspect the directors for sitcoms weren't very experienced in getting the performance out of them as they were used to working with naturally funny people?

idunnosomename

Quote from: lazyhour on December 31, 2019, 10:41:50 PM
Surprised Noel Fielding's turn in The IT Crowd hasn't come up yet. Nothing about his voice or delivery works. It's pretty excruciating.
to be fair "oh no, not a real cradle of filth. that would be horrible" makes me laugh. but then stopped clock (also the writer)

fuck if we are doing that. Richard Ayoade. shite

Bobtoo

Quote from: SteK on December 31, 2019, 10:12:10 PM
Is that David Earl? He was in Extras too if it is as a Millman fan, just shite. Do the glasses, do the wig, do the funny voice....

Brett Goldstein I think, Tabard's love interest.

DrGreggles

Quote from: SteK on December 31, 2019, 09:14:15 PM
Tried to watch House of Fools, I thought it was awful and I love Vic and Bob. Seemed like it was trying to be Morecambe and Wise but just the scenes in the house.....

Each to their own, but House of Fools is great.

Glebe

Quote from: non capisco on December 31, 2019, 05:15:56 PMI dunno about bit player, Glebe. I think Cassandra was in all of them from 1989 onwards.

Jim Bob

The guy who is the Brother of Noel Fielding in The Mighty Boosh.  He wears a turban.

George White

Surprised no one has mentioned the cast of Mrs. Brown's Boys (who aren't Sorcha Cusack/Susie Blake)...

Rory I, Rory Cowan has gotten a part in RTE soap Fair City, and even by the standards of that dreadful rag, he is desperate .And for someone who on MBB was one of the more talented performers, he is so utterly out of his depth in FC, despite playing a character written for him, called John Bosco Walsh, even my father, who has a passion for terrible TV can't believe how terrible his performance is.
Apparently, he's being written out.

Glebe

Quote from: George White on January 01, 2020, 09:06:51 AMSurprised no one has mentioned the cast of Mrs. Brown's Boys (who aren't Sorcha Cusack/Susie Blake)...

Rory I, Rory Cowan has gotten a part in RTE soap Fair City, and even by the standards of that dreadful rag, he is desperate .And for someone who on MBB was one of the more talented performers, he is so utterly out of his depth in FC, despite playing a character written for him, called John Bosco Walsh, even my father, who has a passion for terrible TV can't believe how terrible his performance is.
Apparently, he's being written out.

It always seems like the Norn Irish girl on Mrs. Brown is being asked to read off cue cards or summit.

timebug

Grandaughter was watching a repeated 'Some Mother's Do 'Ave 'Em' the other day and the two young girls in the plot,that Frank Spencer has to take to the zoo,were both terrible. Either looking for the camera all the time, or looking generally uncomfortable.

Clownbaby

Quote from: lazyhour on December 31, 2019, 10:41:50 PM

Aye. To be honest, everyone in IT Crowd. Even ma boy Chris Morris was a bit off, I don't know what it was with that show

Natnar

Lucy Montgomery in the Brian Pern stuff. Completely ruins any scene she's in by being too over the top and "wacky".

lipsink

The main girl in Derry Girls. I think she's probably a good actor and she's just being directed that way and asked to be really broad and over the top. Just find it really off-putting cos it's a fairly decent show otherwise. But I seem to be the only one who thinks this so what do I know!

SteK

Quote from: lipsink on January 01, 2020, 10:55:27 AM
The main girl in Derry Girls. I think she's probably a good actor and she's just being directed that way and asked to be really broad and over the top. Just find it really off-putting cos it's a fairly decent show otherwise. But I seem to be the only one who thinks this so what do I know!

I agree re: Derry Girls, she's too over-wrought...

Rolf Lundgren

All four leads in Baddiel's Syndrome, especially Guardian film critic Peter Bradshaw who it turns out is a better critic than he is an actor.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: lipsink on January 01, 2020, 10:55:27 AM

Sorry, not having this. Along with Nicola Coughlan ( The one who plays the lesbian), she gives a performance totally suited to the wacky ( and, indeed, zany) idiom what that comedy show is going for. The whole actual tone of the show is over the top, innit? That show has a pretty good ensemble cast, right down to the bloke who plays the boring uncle feller. Slightly derivative it may be ( The Inbetweeners, Father Ted, even certain elements of Peep Show), all of the performances are grand ( although I must admit I find the one who plays the simple cousin of yer woman a bit annoying, (especially in the second series wherein her thickness is ramped up), but none of the actors in that show deserve to be in this thread especially The one I massively fancy.

Phil_A

The bloke playing Jesus in the Red Dwarf episode "Lemons". I partly blame Doug Naylor for letting all the guest actors go way over the top, but this one really was a shockingly poor turn all round.

jsgibble

Quote from: Clownbaby on January 01, 2020, 10:26:43 AM
Aye. To be honest, everyone in IT Crowd. Even ma boy Chris Morris was a bit off, I don't know what it was with that show

In fairness, they weren't exactly working with great material.

Quote from: Clownbaby on January 01, 2020, 10:26:43 AM

It was a cynical attempt to create an "ironic" old-fashioned sitcom. Bad, laboured jokes? They're supposed to be bad and laboured. Hackneyed two-dimensional characters? They're supposed etc.
Fundamentally misunderstanding that old-fashioned multi-camera sitcoms like the ones they're aping were created with a ton more effort and they only look creaky because they're from a different era.
Cliches and stereotypes knocked out with a disingenuous level of irony. Like a shit wine it's aged very quickly and badly.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on January 01, 2020, 12:04:39 PM
It was a cynical attempt to create an "ironic" old-fashioned sitcom. Bad, laboured jokes? They're supposed to be bad and laboured. Hackneyed two-dimensional characters? They're supposed etc.
Fundamentally misunderstanding that old-fashioned multi-camera sitcoms like the ones they're aping were created with a ton more effort and they only look creaky because they're from a different era.
Cliches and stereotypes knocked out with a disingenuous level of irony. Like a shit wine it's aged very quickly and badly.

Yep Linehan keeps going on about how much he misfired with the whole thing it's a wonder he didn't just can it after the first series . For some reason people liked it anyway

idunnosomename

imitationleather

The one who replaced Julia Sawalha in Time Gentlemen Please. I had to stop watching the show because she was so bad.