Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:50:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

NYE telly

Started by Famous Mortimer, December 31, 2019, 09:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

I'm trying to find a particular NYE telly memory, and just saw that in 1991, the Beeb showed "Mad Max" followed by "This Is Spinal Tap" to bring in the new year. That would have been a nice evening, if I'd thought to watch it.

Any strong / weird memories for you lot?

pigamus

Always Clive James and Yasmin Arafat for me.

imitationleather

I nearly got thrown out of an NYE party once because the host took exception to me saying that the Hootenanny is recorded during the summer.

Norton Canes

Two words.

Mickey. Flanagan.

Ham Bap

The last couple of years Film4 have shown An American Werewolf in London so I may throw that on at 1am or so.

I always remember NYE as the first ever time I watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail (might have been 1992-ish) and Blues Brothers. Those were great nights.

Ambient Sheep

I was going to put this in the Talking Pictures thread but this seems as good a place as any:

Quatermass and the Pit, 2.35am.

PinkNoise

Not NYE, but I recall about 10 years ago ushering in Christmas Day with Dark Star on Film 4 and then switching channels after it finished about 5am to find an insane Ren & Stimpy episode where Stimpy disappears into his own bellybutton. Merry Christmas!

The most memorable NYE for me was 1979: I really wanted to watch "The 70s Stop Here" on BBC1 cos I thought I might see a clip of "Kitten Kong" but in the pre-video era I had to make my mind up between that or Kenny Everett on ITV. I opted for Cuddly Kenneth in the end and got to see Bowie do Space Oddity, so it worked out in the end.

Chriddof

New Year's Eve 1999 / New Year's Day 2000: Spent ages fretting if the millenium bug was going to kill us all, accompanied by WWF (as I think it was then still known) matches on TNT UK on my bedroom portable telly. Once midnight had come and gone, I was able to relax and spent the first night of the 21st Century with my family, howling with laughter at a Bottom marathon on UK Gold. The rest of the century hasn't lived up to that, to be honest.

wooders1978

Quote from: imitationleather on December 31, 2019, 10:36:05 PM
I nearly got thrown out of an NYE party once because the host took exception to me saying that the Hootenanny is recorded during the summer.

Do you suspect that it might have been a manufactured excuse to get rid of you?

imitationleather

Quote from: wooders1978 on January 02, 2020, 08:59:18 AM
Do you suspect that it might have been a manufactured excuse to get rid of you?

Well now you mention it...

Quote from: PinkNoise on January 01, 2020, 01:14:24 AM
The most memorable NYE for me was 1979: I really wanted to watch "The 70s Stop Here" on BBC1 cos I thought I might see a clip of "Kitten Kong" but in the pre-video era I had to make my mind up between that or Kenny Everett on ITV. I opted for Cuddly Kenneth in the end and got to see Bowie do Space Oddity, so it worked out in the end.
God yes, that was the first televised change of decade that I was properly aware of, and also remember watching Kenny Everett.

gilbertharding

There was a Vic Reeves Big Night Out new year's special one year, and in the small hours afterwards one channel broadcast The Italian Job.

Memorable because I spent the night in Watford - for reasons which are no clearer 30 years on than they were at the time, and for the fact that my hangover was so bad I vomited.