Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:29:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inverted controls

Started by Bazooka, January 01, 2020, 02:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Are you a dirty inverter? Do you challenge the social norm of direction?

Since the dawn of the (pre 90's')analogue stick on the N64, I was a hardcore inverted controls slut, then all the way through dreamcast,ps2,Xbox,GameCube. Then one day must have been my PS3/wii days/3ds days... I just stopped, no reason,just my up became up and my down down.

QDRPHNC

I don't understand how anyone can play uninverted, feels totally wrong to me.

Mister Six

Inverted if flying a plane or spaceship, non-inverted if it's an FPS or anything where I'm controlling a human head.

Don't understand inverters. I find that genuinely more baffling and wrong than people who like dressing up as babies for sex, or drinking piss.

QDRPHNC

See, inverted feels more like natural human head movement to me. You tilt your head back to look up, forward to look down.

bgmnts

Inverted controls are for utter gimps. And old games that force it on you are the pits.

How can you fuck up something as simple as "up is up and down is down"?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I used to be trapped in the upside down, but I got bored having to change the controls when I was round my friends' houses, so I changed myself instead. The odd thing about it is that I never had the X-axis flipped,  just the Y.
I still use the inverted Y-axis for flying games, which got very confusing when I was playing the Star Wars Battlefront games.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Mister Six on January 01, 2020, 02:34:40 PM
Inverted if flying a plane or spaceship, non-inverted if it's an FPS or anything where I'm controlling a human head.

Don't understand inverters. I find that genuinely more baffling and wrong than people who like dressing up as babies for sex, or drinking piss.

I'm a devoted inverter and I think that I can explain why 'up for down/down for up' makes sense to me in all genres, not just flight simulators.  Think of it this way; imagine you are stood behind someone and are holding their head by the hair and you want to control where they look.  If you wanted them to look left, you would turn your hand to the left.  Equally, if you wanted them to look right, you would turn your hand to the right.  Should you want them to look up, you would pull back on their hair and if you wanted them to look down, you would push your hand forwards.  Ergo, when controlling an avatar, it makes sense for the analogue stick to be pushed forward to look down and pushed downwards to look up.

ASFTSN

Quote from: bgmnts on January 01, 2020, 02:52:13 PM
Inverted controls are for utter gimps. And old games that force it on you are the pits.

How can you fuck up something as simple as "up is up and down is down"?

Yep

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 01, 2020, 04:34:46 PM
I'm a devoted inverter and I think that I can explain why 'up for down/down for up' makes sense to me in all genres, not just flight simulators.  Think of it this way; imagine you are stood behind someone and are holding their head by the hair and you want to control where they look.  If you wanted them to look left, you would turn your hand to the left.  Equally, if you wanted them to look right, you would turn your hand to the right.  Should you want them to look up, you would pull back on their hair and if you wanted them to look down, you would push your hand forwards.  Ergo, when controlling an avatar, it makes sense for the analogue stick to be pushed forward to look down and pushed downwards to look up.
Enough about your dirty, dirty sex play.

Dewt

Are we deciding that "inverted" is an absolute? I took it to mean "the opposite of what the developer decided on, so that you feel a pervert when you change them".

Thursday

I don't actually think about the physical body of the character I'm controlling, I'm basically just moving a cursor.

I have heard of people doing this, but even most people who invert on a controller when playing an FPS, wouldn't invert if they were using a mouse.

Dewt

The only time I've ever changed the default controls is on a Mac using a mouse. The scrolling switch designed for touch was an abomination.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Thursday on January 01, 2020, 07:58:49 PM
...but even most people who invert on a controller when playing an FPS, wouldn't invert if they were using a mouse.

I always invert the Y-axis on a mouse for games too.  Personally speaking, it just feels wrong any other way.

Mister Six

I'm a devoted inverter and I think that I can explain why 'up for down/down for up' makes sense to me in all genres, not just flight simulators.  Think of it this way; imagine you are stood behind someone and are holding their head by the hair and you want to control where they look.  If you wanted them to look left, you would turn your hand to the left.  Equally, if you wanted them to look right, you would turn your hand to the right. 

Yeah, but in an FPS I'm not doing that - I'm looking through their eyes. Living in their head.

This is a "toilet paper to the front or back of the roll" thing isn't it? And people who say "to the back" are wrong there, too.

Mister Six

Quote from: Dewt on January 01, 2020, 07:52:45 PM
Are we deciding that "inverted" is an absolute? I took it to mean "the opposite of what the developer decided on, so that you feel a pervert when you change them".

It is, isn't it? Inverted Y-axis means up is down and down is up.

I played some game with an option for an inverted X-axis. That was fucked up.

bgmnts

Couple of those to be fair.

Playing the Okami remake a few days and the X axis was fine but Y axis was inverted. Why? Grr

Dewt

Quote from: Mister Six on January 01, 2020, 09:01:48 PM
Some developers choose the defaults to be the opposite to that, and then call the option "invert controls". It's "invert from the defaults" rather than "set to some universal notion of inverted".

Point is, makes you a pervert.

Thursday

I don't think that's true, I think at this point inverted has become standardised to mean down = up. I personally have not seen examples of what you're talking about in any recent games.

Dewt

Well I've thought it's probably a thing that might happen. What more proof do you need?

Thursday

Hmm okay good point, you're right.

Feeling a bit silly now tbh.

QDRPHNC

You guyses are really hurting my feelings.

Bazooka

If you don't feel like going into the settings menu, quick tip: play with your controller upside down.

Cerys

Jerzy Bondov

Hold on, if you wanted to rotate their head to the left you'd move your hand to the right and vice versa. You should invert X-axis as well.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 02, 2020, 09:25:49 AM
Hold on, if you wanted to rotate their head to the left you'd move your hand to the right and vice versa. You should invert X-axis as well.

No, that's not right.  Again; imagine that you're stood behind someone, clutching onto the top of their head and the person is a willing participant and will offer no resistance.  Put your hand out in front of you right now and imagine that's what you're doing.  Now imagine that you want to turn their head to the left, so that their looking in that direction without also moving their body.  You're going to twist your wrist to the left in order to do so, see?

Dewt

Do the finger guns thing they tell you to do in physics to keep track of the orientation when you're imagining it

Jerzy Bondov

Oh, the top of his head. I thought I was holding the back of his head. But if it's on the top of his head then it's a push to go up and down and a twist to go to the sides, which isn't how a joystick works. If it's on the back then it works like a stick - push in all directions. You should invert X axis.

druss

Quote from: Mister Six on January 01, 2020, 09:01:48 PM

I played some game with an option for an inverted X-axis. That was fucked up.
I am a Y inverter due to getting used to it as it was a default for many games back in the day.

X inverting blows my mind, has anyone ever done that?

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 02, 2020, 02:21:27 PM
No, that's not right.  Again; imagine that you're stood behind someone, clutching onto the top of their head and the person is a willing participant and will offer no resistance.  Put your hand out in front of you right now and imagine that's what you're doing.  Now imagine that you want to turn their head to the left, so that their looking in that direction without also moving their body.  You're going to twist your wrist to the left in order to do so, see?
What? If you're grabbing their head and you twist your wrist to the left then they will look right. I have hold of someone's head and am testing it as we speak.

Edit: Ah fuck, top of their head. Yeah just tested again and this works as you say.

Jerzy Bondov

Why don't you just invert all the buttons while you're at it. Invert the lot. Turn the telly upside down. Turn your back to it. Unplug the console to turn it on. Start playing games at the end and work towards the beginning. Benjamin Button Gamer. Fucking insane behaviour. Get a grip.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 02, 2020, 02:58:03 PM
Oh, the top of his head. I thought I was holding the back of his head. But if it's on the top of his head then it's a push to go up and down and a twist to go to the sides, which isn't how a joystick works. If it's on the back then it works like a stick - push in all directions. You should invert X axis.

The real point here is that I use the axis orientation which feels natural to me personally.  Left is left.  Right is right.  Up is down and down is up.  That's what feel right when I'm playing a game.  I'm not claiming that that's how other people should play games.  To each their own.