Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,174
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:30:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inverted controls

Started by Bazooka, January 01, 2020, 02:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 02, 2020, 03:58:44 PM
Left is left.  Right is right.  Up is down and down is up.
We're through the looking glass here, people.

Endicott

This kind of thing gets done to death in 4-channel RC aircraft forums. It's not quite the same as the orientations don't invert, the actual controls switch around, but the same kind of rivalry about the best approach is seen.

from here

I'm a mode 2-er, btw.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Endicott on January 02, 2020, 04:57:13 PM
This kind of thing gets done to death in 4-channel RC aircraft forums. It's not quite the same as the orientations don't invert, the actual controls switch around, but the same kind of rivalry about the best approach is seen.

I don't understand said rivalry (be it about an RC unit or a joypad), not when the user is given the option of switching the orientation to their desired preference.  Who gives a fig how someone else cares for their controls to be set?  It comes across as rather haughty to me, that anyone should have an attitude of "you're doing it wrong! My way is better".  I prefer an inverted Y-axis but it doesn't bother me in the least that other people prefer the opposite.  Why ever should it?  Like sexuality, there is no correct orientation.  There is only whatever feels natural to the individual.

Dewt

I still don't 100% agree that "invert" is always an absolute thing that means "switched to inverted controls". I feel sure that sometimes it is "invert the defaults", but I can't justify spending the time to dig up an example. I just know I've thought about this before...

Endicott

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 02, 2020, 05:02:38 PM
I don't understand said rivalry (be it about an RC unit or a joypad), not when the user is given the option of switching the orientation to their desired preference.  Who gives a fig how someone else cares for their controls to be set?  It comes across as rather haughty to me, that anyone should have an attitude of "you're doing it wrong! My way is better".  I prefer an inverted Y-axis but it doesn't bother me in the least that other people prefer the opposite.  Why ever should it?  Like sexuality, there is no correct orientation.  There is only whatever feels natural to the individual.

You're quite right it shouldn't matter at all.

Once reason it causes trouble in the RC world is sharing. If someone asks to fly your model and you're Ok with that, and you pass them your mode 2 controller and they have mode 1 muscle memory, then unless you remember to check that with them first they are going to immediately smash your model into the ground. And it requires a physical modification to the controller to switch mode 1 and 2 (throttle is on a ratchet), so unless you keep two controllers set up sharing can be difficult. I don't suppose that's such an issue when swapping game controllers.

Kelvin

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 01, 2020, 04:34:46 PM
I'm a devoted inverter and I think that I can explain why 'up for down/down for up' makes sense to me in all genres, not just flight simulators.  Think of it this way; imagine you are stood behind someone and are holding their head by the hair and you want to control where they look.  If you wanted them to look left, you would turn your hand to the left.  Equally, if you wanted them to look right, you would turn your hand to the right.  Should you want them to look up, you would pull back on their hair and if you wanted them to look down, you would push your hand forwards.  Ergo, when controlling an avatar, it makes sense for the analogue stick to be pushed forward to look down and pushed downwards to look up.

This, but with the neater metaphor of it being like controlling a film camera, with a handle at the back which you use to tilt the camera up or down. Since that is literally what you are doing in a game (moving a camera with a control stick), it makes more sense to invert imo.

colacentral

Luigi's Mansion 3 doesn't seem to have an option to invert, as far as I can tell, and it's fucking me right off. I genuinely don't understand why non-inverted has become the norm when as mentioned above you literally have an analogue stick attached to your head and it uses inverted controls. It's in your DNA.

Bazooka

^ a heinous use of such treasured artifact,lock em up.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: colacentral on January 05, 2020, 07:49:05 PM
you literally have an analogue stick attached to your head and it uses inverted controls. It's in your DNA.
You might want to see a doctor.