Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:56:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2020 Edition)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 01, 2020, 05:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Blue Thunder

The number of movies available for Facebook Watch Parties keeps shrinking, so every now and again we end up with something like this. Okay, I guess? It was fun to see Malcolm McDowell, from the same year as "Get Crazy", play a completely different character.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 06, 2020, 02:07:47 PM
Blue Thunder

Most notable for Roy Scheider only doing it so he was unavailable for Jaws 3.

Neomod

Semi Colin (2012)

IMDB says
QuoteChallenging all notions of genre, Semi Colin is a living, breathing art installation. Part performance, part art, part social comment, Colin philosophizes on his life's obsessive work as an erotic artist.

For some reason this reminded me of a Terence Davies/Peter Greenaway film. Probably the semi classical continuous score and shot style. It's a documentary about Colin Murray,[nb]No not that one[/nb] an erotic graphic artist and basically takes place in one day of his life.

I thought it was a relaxing watch.

Unlike this reviewer
QuoteVery slow, very long and very empty

bgmnts

Mars Attacks. 8/10

Assembling a cast like that for such a stupid film still makes me laugh. Did Burton make a good film after this?

Custard

Love Mars Attacks. It's worth it for the Tom Jones bit alone

Watched Venom again, as 'er indoors loves Tom Hardy. Enjoyed it more on second viewing. It's pure daft comic book, and genuinely funny in places. Hardy is really enjoying himself, which is nice. Riz Ahmed is good as Elon Musk, too

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: greenman on September 06, 2020, 03:18:01 AM
Probably the worst film I own on UHD but still it does look very nice and is rarely boring.

Would love a 90min cut of it, with no hopkins and no sexy rapes

Custard

Drive: Radio 1 Rescores

Zane Lowe whacks on his own soundtrack in place of an already good soundtrack. For some reason

Most of it worked well, but some of it didn't. Foals, FFS. The film is still a corker though, so I really enjoyed it

zomgmouse

Fair Game. Decent outback "three men terrorise a lone woman who then fights back" thriller, shot quite well and some cool set pieces towards the end in particular.

Quote from: bgmnts on September 06, 2020, 08:35:57 PM
Mars Attacks. 8/10

Assembling a cast like that for such a stupid film still makes me laugh. Did Burton make a good film after this?

Yeah Big Fish is ace. Haven't seen Corpse Bride yet but will soon and that's meant to be quite good too right? I didn't mind Sweeney Todd either.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 07, 2020, 02:38:19 AM
Yeah Big Fish is ace. Haven't seen Corpse Bride yet but will soon and that's meant to be quite good too right? I didn't mind Sweeney Todd either.

I'd echo that, and I quite liked Sleepy Hollow and Frankenweenie, they're slight (the latter especially) but fun.

Artie Fufkin

Escape To Athena - 1979

Hmmmm. A host of stars couldn't save this.
Was expecting a different kind of film, tbh.
Casting Roger Moore as a commandant of a POW camp was strange, I thought.
Telly Savalas was a creepy ex-monk who was far too interested in the girls from the local brothel.
Elliott Gould was the comic relief, I guess. Along with Stephanie Powers.
Sonny Bono was weird in it.
Not even David Niven could raise it.
I gave it 2 out of 5.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 07, 2020, 02:38:19 AM
Yeah Big Fish is ace.
Agreed.
I went to see this at the cinema, not really knowing what this was about, I'd say 3 days after my dad died. It ruined me. I sat in the cinema for about 15 minutes after it had finished, blubbing.

Artie Fufkin

It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World - 1963

Another film with a host of stars (some uncredited, like Jerry Lee Lewis).
It was shit. And SO long.
I gave it a VERY charitable 1 out of 5.

Artie Fufkin

The Good Liar - 2019

Gandalf & Helen Mirren are both great in this quiet little thriller. Really enjoyable, although
Spoiler alert
I kinda got the plot twist from the off
[close]
. Very watchable though.
Russell Tovey is great in it, too.
I gave it a hefty 4 out of 5.

SavageHedgehog

The Frankenweenie film is cute, but Burton's original live action short film (from the early 80s and around 25 minutes long) is more effective. The film also has a mean streak which is something I sometimes like but in that it felt kind of our of place to me and made me like the film a little less.

I enjoyed The Good Liar until the last half hour or so which is clunky with far too much exposition.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on September 07, 2020, 11:05:07 AM

Would've loved to see The Killer in it, though.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on September 07, 2020, 11:05:07 AM

I loved that, thought it was a huge amount of fun, but I fancied  some innocent, daft silliness when I watched it and perhaps in a forgiving mood.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 07, 2020, 12:25:55 PM
I loved that, thought it was a huge amount of fun, but I fancied  some innocent, daft silliness when I watched it and perhaps in a forgiving mood.

I also have quite a soft spot for it, but of all those multiple stars vehicle caper films the best one by far is The Great Race.

Always found Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines and its pseudo-sequel to be disappointing.

bgmnts

The Golden Child. 5/10

I have no clue why I remembered it as good as it's bloody rubbish. It's fun seeing all the Big Trouble in Little China guys though.

Artie Fufkin

zomgmouse

Amarcord. Somwhat idyllic reminisces from Fellini about his childhood hometown, conjures a real nostalgic atmosphere and really beautifully made.

El Unicornio, mang

American Ninja (1985) - When I was about 7, this would probably have been my favourite movie. Just the title alone. It's really bad, some of the worst martial arts fight scenes I've witnessed and ninjas (those guys who are supposed to be stealthy and invisible) running around and doing somersaults in bright yellow outfits. But it's definitely in the "so bad it's good" category, a perfect film to watch with a few friends/drinks and take the piss out of. And there's actually some really nice Philippines scenery which looks surprisingly good if you can get hold of the BluRay version.

They made four more of these films.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 08, 2020, 12:52:48 PM
American Ninja (1985) - When I was about 7, this would probably have been my favourite movie. Just the title alone. It's really bad, some of the worst martial arts fight scenes I've witnessed and ninjas (those guys who are supposed to be stealthy and invisible) running around and doing somersaults in bright yellow outfits. But it's definitely in the "so bad it's good" category, a perfect film to watch with a few friends/drinks and take the piss out of. And there's actually some really nice Philippines scenery which looks surprisingly good if you can get hold of the BluRay version.

They made four more of these films.

I absolutely rinsed our local video rental shop with all of the American Ninja films, even the David Bradley ones.  I LOVED them.  When I was 11/12.  I've not seen any of them since.

Am I right in thinking that 2 is now considered as some cult masterpiece?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 08, 2020, 01:38:50 PM
I absolutely rinsed our local video rental shop with all of the American Ninja films, even the David Bradley ones.  I LOVED them.  When I was 11/12.  I've not seen any of them since.

Am I right in thinking that 2 is now considered as some cult masterpiece?
2 is a great deal better than 1, but none of them are exactly classics.

Sebastian Cobb

Did anyone watch that Mubi documentary about Ai Wewei? Seemed pretty good I thought. I guess although he was pushing his luck in an admirable way, he was mostly able to do that because he became notable in the west before he got notable for being subversive in China, at which point he couldn't be disappeared.

Famous Mortimer

The Granny

Like a milder version of "Brain Dead". Surprisingly good fun.

zomgmouse

Smokey and the Bandit. Very dumb and mostly enjoyable though parts feel surprisingly flat for what this is meant to be.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 09, 2020, 07:58:29 AM
Smokey and the Bandit. Very dumb and mostly enjoyable though parts feel surprisingly flat for what this is meant to be.

I can imagine it being disappointing if one went out of their way to see it, but it's always been welcome to doze off to when you're channel-hopping on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 09, 2020, 07:58:29 AM

"Thank you nice lady" is my favorite oddly phrased movie line and I use it almost daily. Never had a diner waitress help me with a bigroll snafu yet though. Always wondered if the paper in the glasses gag wasn't meant to be hanging out of his trousers but got axed for being too much.

Shit Good Nose

I'm a HUGE Smokey fan, and I even have genuine soft spots for 2 and 3.  But the first one - man, that diner scene with the Dr Pepper and diablo sandwich kills me, as does the "Junior, there is no way - NO WAY - that you came from my loins" bit (which is obviously cancelled today, as is most of the film).