Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:46:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2020 Edition)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 01, 2020, 05:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on May 08, 2020, 03:06:17 PM
I just looked at this on IMDb (because it seems a refreshingly original film idea) and now I want to watch all of Potrykus' films.

Buzzard is free on Amazon Prime at the moment.

Sebastian Cobb

Buzzard was great, will check this one out.

Sebastian Cobb

I watched Wake in Fright the other night. A young schoolteacher is stuck in the outback working for 2 years to pay back his training bond. He hopes to go back to Sydney for the Christmas holidays but gets stuck in a town after getting pissed and losing all his money getting greedy gambling at two-up trying to secure enough money to pay his bond. Then it all turns into a bleak downward spiral with various encounters with the rough townspeople.

greenman

Had the bluray on the shelf for awhile but haven't felt in the mood for it, maybe tonight.

If your after something else a little different I'd suggest November from 2017, if CaB remade Marketa Lazarova I'd imagine it would be something like this, Estonian period film full of great B&W visuals and witchcraft but the latter especially is comically over the top, the opening scenes has an enchanted self propelled knife covered wheel kidcap a cow and then turn into a helicopter to escape with it.

"Put you pants in your head, that way the plague will think you have two arses and let you be"

Inspector Norse

Black Hawk Down Tense, gripping, full-on WAR ACTION, but muddled in terms of its handling of Edwin Starr's famous question, and suffers from the familiar war film issue of too many actors, too few characters.

Peeping Tom Fascinating film caught between a classic melodrama and a modern psycho effort. Carl Boehm gives a very weird and memorable performance although he's perhaps too obviously a massive fucking weirdo for the plot to entirely convince. Psychologically really interesting albeit dated: lots of META stuff going on with director Powell himself appearing as Mark's mad scientist father. Moira Shearer's dancing scene is remarkable, all the more so for being so unexpected in a film like this.

Small Man Big Horse

GYO Tokyo Fish Attack (2012) - A Japanese anime which is summed up by an early exclamation from one of the characters - "A fish! But...it's got legs". Soon it's not just one either but thousands of the bastards, including some rather feisty sharks and octopus's, and as our heroine tries to track down her boyfriend she and a new friend almost die a ridiculous amount of times. Meanwhile one of her friends who got hurt early on is transforming in to some rather disgusting, mutated creature, and the rest of humanity may well follow suit unless someone can save us all.
Spoiler alert
But no one does, pleasingly, in this weirdly bleak effort.
[close]
7.5/10

QDRPHNC

Inside Llewyn Davis
Didn't care for it the first and only time I watched it. Seemed very slow and it wasn't what I was expecting. Watching it for the second time, knowing to settle in for something more layered and meditative than I had originally anticipated, was very rewarding. Still wouldn't break to the top 5 Coens for me, but it's close.

A Serious Man
Still my favourite film of all time - confirmed. Probably the most layered and thought-provoking film the Coens have made, and one of the most watchable.

The Big Short
My first time seeing it. I loved learning how all that shit went down, and the performances were mostly great. Found the meta stuff (Here's Margot Robbie! She said fuck!!!) irritating as hell, but luckily there was less of that as it went on. Such an interesting story that it really didn't need that stuff. Found it ironic that while the Pitt character tells his hedge fund friends "just don't dance" when they make a lot of money at the country's expense, Adam McKay took a story about people losing their homes and their livelihoods and seemed to want to make it into something resembling Oceans 11. It was still very enjoyable though. Steve Carrell was good.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 10, 2020, 11:18:22 PM

A Serious Man
Still my favourite film of all time - confirmed. Probably the most layered and thought-provoking film the Coens have made, and one of the most watchable.

[

The oldest thread in this SF is for serious man, can read it if you hit the <previous> link from this thread.
Not seen it but I've seen the thread a lot.

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: Hand Solo on May 08, 2020, 04:33:22 PM
Buzzard is his best, imo.

Watched this last night! Really enjoyed it, so thanks for the tip.

SteveDave

The Taking Of Pelham 123

Inspired by the death of Jerry Stiller (as I'm sure we all were) I saw this last night. I have no idea why I've not seen it before. Everything about it was amazing. Walter Matthau's fed up negotiator man with suspiciously black hair! Fake taches! Robert Shaw! And a satisfying ending.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on May 12, 2020, 09:30:46 AM
Watched this last night! Really enjoyed it, so thanks for the tip.

Such an odd movie, watching a guy eat spaghetti in bed for about 10 minutes etc.

Quote from: SteveDave on May 12, 2020, 12:29:52 PM
The Taking Of Pelham 123

Inspired by the death of Jerry Stiller (as I'm sure we all were) I saw this last night. I have no idea why I've not seen it before. Everything about it was amazing. Walter Matthau's fed up negotiator man with suspiciously black hair! Fake taches! Robert Shaw! And a satisfying ending.

It's a classic but it might be worth watching the re-make just for contrast because it's such a shit-show. John Travolta doing his 'crazy guy' routine, the original ends with Shaw asking about if New York still had the death penalty and upon being informed it doesn't delivers a world-wear "Pity" before pressing his foot against the third rail. In the re-make you get this absolute gubbins.

Oh and this Sunday:

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/film/a32436241/bruce-robinson-live-withnail-and-i-watchalong/

Small Man Big Horse

The Creature Wasn't Nice (1981) - A very, very silly Alien spoof from The First Nudie Musical director Bruce Kimmel that stars Kimmel himself alongside Leslie Nielsen, Patrick Macnee and Shirley from Laverne and Shirley, the first half is more a selection of sketches than a proper film but that doesn't stop it from being very likeable. IMDB lists it as a musical which it isn't really as it only has three songs, but one of them that's sung by the alien is a delight, and though it sags around the 45 minutes mark in it picks up again for the ending and is fun in general. 6.7/10

SteveDave

Drive, He Said

I thought Jack Nicholson was in this but he just directed it. A bit of a meandering thing about a basketball player and his hippie friend who is being drafted. It goes on a bit but looks lovely.

Before this we tried to watch "92 In The Shade" but the copy we "found" looked like it was from a VHS and sounded like it was from a wax cylinder. 

SteveDave

Paper Moon

This film was adorable and I could've watched another two hours of Addie and Moze.

joaquin closet

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 10, 2020, 11:18:22 PM

A Serious Man

Also my favourite of all time, I think.

Armin Meiwes

Amazed by the Serious Man love, really disliked it the first time I saw it and I like/love probably 80% of the coens output. Maybe I should give it another go tho, might have just been in a bad mood or something.

Armin Meiwes

Second worst film of theirs after Intolerable Cruelty which is so bad I still can't believe it was them that made it.

Jim Bob

Their remake of The Ladykillers is shite too.

Egyptian Feast

The Ladykillers is widely regarded as their nadir but I didn't hate it. Intolerable Cruelty is total plops and their absolute worst. I still haven't seen A Serious Man, but I reckon it would have to get up early in the morning to be half as shite.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on May 14, 2020, 06:56:31 PM
The Ladykillers is widely regarded as their nadir but I didn't hate it.

In isolation, I suppose it would be passable.  However, it's not in isolation; it's a remake of a vastly superior film, so that's why it's utter shite for me.

kittens

watched every single coens film over ten days about a week ago. i can confidently say the very worst was hudsucker proxy. intolerable cruelty was bland and boring. hudsucker was fucking shite. pick of the bunch for me were man who wasn't there, big lebowski, no country for old men and burn after reading.

Puce Moment

Good lord, finally a few kicks going in on cab faves the Coen Bros!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: kittens on May 14, 2020, 07:39:02 PM
watched every single coens film over ten days about a week ago. i can confidently say the very worst was hudsucker proxy. intolerable cruelty was bland and boring. hudsucker was fucking shite. pick of the bunch for me were man who wasn't there, big lebowski, no country for old men and burn after reading.

No Miller's Crossing in the good pile?

kittens

looking at my list, i gave that a rating of O.K. to good. i watched it right after hudsucker proxy so was probably not feeling all too charitable. gave it the same rating as the ladykillers, which also seemed fine.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: kittens on May 14, 2020, 07:39:02 PM
i can confidently say the very worst was hudsucker proxy.

I rarely call for a banning when someone has a horrendous opinion but something's clearly gone horribly wrong with Kittens brain and he needs a time out to think about what he's said there.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 14, 2020, 08:15:04 PM
I rarely call for a banning when someone has a horrendous opinion but something's clearly gone horribly wrong with Kittens brain and he needs a time out to think about what he's said there.

Damn straight.

(obviously Kittens is entitled to his opinion, even if it is bafflingly wrong-headed)

phantom_power

I think anyone who doesn't like Hudsucker Proxy is an evil pervert who should by all rights be dead or in prison

kittens

i cordially offer anyone who thinks they like the hudsucker proxy to come and watch it at my house, and every time some terrible cringey shit happens i'll look at you and say 'great film huh? really great movie right?'. guaranteed you will come to my way of thinking before too long.

Armin Meiwes

REALLY liked THP first time I watched it, quite liked it the second time, not sure if that trajectory means I'll think it was shite the third time but I'll stick by the quite like until I see it again.

10 Rillington Place - excellent acting, a layer of grime on every surface, really convincing, but so much so I genuinely feel dirty.

EDIT: cheered up slightly by recognising young Rudolph Walker straight away.