Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:10:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2020 Edition)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 01, 2020, 05:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 09, 2020, 01:27:59 PM
It was right after a post of yours, too :(

Sorry FM! My post made it sound like I only heard about it the other day, but it was Paul Duane on Twitter organising a watch-along a couple of weeks into lockdown that alerted me to its existence and I did see your & SMBH's reviews at the time, which probably helped keep it fresh in my mind. I've been meaning to watch it for months.

This is the point where my partner would be doing a digging motion at me, but it's all true. I do read your posts, I swear! I even follow you on Twitter and *falls into downstairs' living room*

Famous Mortimer

I forgot I only discovered it thanks to SMBH's post so I'm a big fibber anyway. Get Crazy is really good though, innit?

Neomod

The Woman in Black 2012

With talk of the reissue of the 1989 version in another thread I thought I'd give this a go.

I've not seen him in much but Daniel Radcliffe is not a good actor. He seems a nice enough bloke off screen but from this performance he's more suited ability wise to ITV Catherine Cookson adaptations and that would be a stretch. They would be wise to get him some woodworm insurance to be on the safe side.

The film itself had no real sense of dread/unease, art direction was unmemorable and most of the scares were of the lazy jump variety.

Still, it's always nice to see Ciaran Hinds in something.

Dex Sawash

I knew John Carter was the worst name for a scifi ever but had no idea what it was about. It has some fun bits but they are mostly over exploited. Valerian + some other words was a lot more fun, should have rewatched it. i guess the book was probably unusual for when it was written.
Was expecting it to be a lot better than just watchable. 5/10

Sin Agog

Quote from: Neomod on August 09, 2020, 06:16:38 PM
The Woman in Black 2012

With talk of the reissue of the 1989 version in another thread I thought I'd give this a go.

I've not seen him in much but Daniel Radcliffe is not a good actor. He seems a nice enough bloke off screen but from this performance he's more suited ability wise to ITV Catherine Cookson adaptations and that would be a stretch. They would be wise to get him some woodworm insurance to be on the safe side.

The film itself had no real sense of dread/unease, art direction was unmemorable and most of the scares were of the lazy jump variety.

Still, it's always nice to see Ciaran Hinds in something.

I wonder if he'd be any decent if he got someone to dub his lines.  He's routinely given some of the worst line deliveries I've ever heard.  I s'pose it would probably only clear up the line delivery problem and make me notice the lack of facial expressions and body language. I reckon Daniel Radcliffe would actually be a passable actor if he had someone dub his lines while a body double stands-in for him.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 09, 2020, 01:42:29 PM3 has its moments, but it's where it starts to go a bit mawkish and, for boxing fans, completely unrealistic, and that fucking robot needs to go.
Dude, the robot is 4...

Small Man Big Horse

I've not seen Women In Black but I think Radcliffe's really come on a huge amount as an actor, and especially a comic one, and he's excellent in Gunz Akimbo, Swiss Army Man, the interactive Kimmy Schmidt episode and Miracle Workers: Dark Ages.

Jumanji: The Next Level (2019) - More antics with The Rock, Kevin Hart, Jack Black and Karen Gillan fucking about in a console game. I was really fond of the first one but this is much, much weaker effort, some of it's still quite fun, and the action scenes are largely strong, but Kevin Hart channelling Danny Glover is a tedious chore (though that's due to the script rather than Hart's performance), though I like Awkwafina elsewhere she's poor here, and the final set piece
Spoiler alert
against the big bad and end of the movie in general is really bland and by the numbers
[close]
. 5.4/10

kittens

watched midnight cowboy today and i thought it was so wicked

shagatha crustie

Quote from: kittens on August 10, 2020, 08:57:23 PM
watched midnight cowboy today and i thought it was so wicked

Possibly my favourite film, glad you enjoyed it.

Sebastian Cobb

Tie Me Up Tie Me Down. Daft Spanish film where Antonio Banderas kidnaps an actress who falls in love with him. Daft pulp, watchable.

Pink Gregory

Tetsuo the Iron Man

Fucking brilliant.  Can see myself watching it regularly, somehow.  Was tempted to watch Tetsuo II Body Hammer on the same night but it was too warm.

Surprising moments of black humour that I wasn't expecting.

PlanktonSideburns

zomgmouse

Albert Brooks' Mother. As usual neurotic as all hell, but with an unexpected amount of pathos and gravitas to it. Cuts a lot deeper than some of his others I think. Loved it.

zomgmouse

We Are the Flesh. Mexican fable of grotesque and excess - lots to process but I think it errs a little on the "too much" side.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 11, 2020, 01:12:55 AM
Albert Brooks' Mother. As usual neurotic as all hell, but with an unexpected amount of pathos and gravitas to it. Cuts a lot deeper than some of his others I think. Loved it.

I was very fond of that as well, the former Mrs SMBH was a big Brooks fan and that and My First Mister were my two favourites (even though he only stars in and doesn't direct the latter).

Neomod

Drew: The Man Behind the Poster (2013)

Documentary about the artist responsible for some of the most iconic posters in film history (Indiana Jones/Star Wars/Bladerunner/The Cannonball Run), Drew Struzan.

OK with the first half about his early career and how the album cover/film poster design business was run back in the day more interesting than the second full of relatively uninteresting talking heads, Lucas, Spielberg, Ford.

shagatha crustie

My first Almodovar - All About My Mother (1999). Loved it, not seen anything like it really. Loved his feminine-centred world, the way it celebrates sex workers and trans persons without really thinking anything of it, and how easily family, friendship and romance intertwine and trade places.

Also featured the most beautiful and vertiginous shot sequence I've seen in a film for ages.

shagatha crustie

Eric Rohmer's The Green Ray (1986), sweating my tits off in my flat and searched for 'good summer films' and picked the first one that sounded up my street. Did not disappoint. Lovely film.

SteveDave

As recommended a few pages ago California Split

I felt grubby at the end. In a good way. I also enjoyed George Segal's proto Huey Lewis look.

Custard

Wind River (2016)

Hawkeye and Scarlett Witch investigate the murder of a young girl who's body is found face down in the snow

I really liked blokey's previous film Hell Or High Water, and this had the same dark, bleak feel and occasional bursts of horrific violence

A simple yet effective story, and at just over 95 minutes it didn't outstay it's welcome. Good stuff

4 bags, and maybe a little keyring trailer/caravan

Puce Moment

I was surprised by how good this was. The pivotal scene in the trailer is fucking ghastly.

Shit Good Nose

JaDanketies

I'm sure a bunch of folk have watched Knives Out recently because it was added to Amazon Prime.

I really enjoyed it. It was like a particularly good episode of Jonathan Creek. Daniel Craig's accent was probably the only bit of the movie that could be criticised, but it worked for me.

I don't think I'd watch it twice though.

greenman

Quote from: JaDanketies on August 13, 2020, 12:03:57 PM
I'm sure a bunch of folk have watched Knives Out recently because it was added to Amazon Prime.

I really enjoyed it. It was like a particularly good episode of Jonathan Creek. Daniel Craig's accent was probably the only bit of the movie that could be criticised, but it worked for me.

I don't think I'd watch it twice though.

Yeah much the same, enjoyed it at the cinema but haven't bothered to rewatch it since. Maybe some reaction was down to a bit of misdirection? trailers made it look like more of a character ensemble film were as really its more a standard mystery with Craig, De Armas, Plummer and Evans the only ones getting much substance.

Dex Sawash

Spoiler alert
  THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD
[close]
(2007)

The title is a huge spoiler, don't read it if you haven't seen the film.

SteveDave

Elstree 76

This was quite lovely (and is now on Amazon Prime). The man who "played" Greedo reminded me an awful lot of David Edwards from the Brian Gittins podcast.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 14, 2020, 04:28:57 AM
Spoiler alert
  THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD
[close]
(2007)

The title is a huge spoiler, don't read it if you haven't seen the film.

LOLZ

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: SteveDave on August 14, 2020, 08:40:18 AM
Elstree 76

This was quite lovely (and is now on Amazon Prime). The man who "played" Greedo reminded me an awful lot of David Edwards from the Brian Gittins podcast.

Awesome! I've been wanting to watch this for a while, now *thumb*