Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:24:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2020 - Rooney returns

Started by king_tubby, January 01, 2020, 10:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52148955

How do you expect these cunts to live on only a few grand a week?

Abnormal Palm

Just shut down the other leagues which are a drain on the epl

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Level of cowardice from these players is ridiculous.

'I would have no problems whatsoever contributing any of my wages'

FUCKING DO IT THEN!!! What are these arseholes waiting for? You don't need permission from anyone.

Embarrassing any of them are waiting for someone else to dictate a moral position to take.

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 04, 2020, 01:18:10 PM
Level of cowardice from these players is ridiculous.

'I would have no problems whatsoever contributing any of my wages'

FUCKING DO IT THEN!!! What are these arseholes waiting for? You don't need permission from anyone.

Embarrassing any of them are waiting for someone else to dictate a moral position to take.

DH/OF Choo Shin-Soo gave $1,000 to every minor league player in the Rangers' system without waiting to be told that was a nice thing to do. There are about 200 players in a team farm beneath the majors so it's a decent wedge to give away.

He plays for the Rangers so he's inherently evil, but still.

It's crazy the amount of money sloshing around professional sports and most players/teams need a diktat to stop acting like pricks and look after their employees.

dandoystevski

There's this beautiful site: https://footballia.net/

You have to register to watch the game and search is limited to players rather than teams, but it's quite the most incredible archive.

Watched the 58 WC final like a proper bushy-faced, hipster bell.  Pele almost scored a phenomenal half volley early on.  Belting game, for me, Clive.

peanutbutter

Quote from: dandoystevski on April 04, 2020, 04:21:57 PM

You have to register to watch the game and search is limited to players rather than teams, but it's quite the most incredible archive.

Watched the 58 WC final like a proper bushy-faced, hipster bell.  Pele almost scored a phenomenal half volley early on.  Belting game, for me, Clive.
Do the matches display the time and scores in the corner throughout? That's always the thing I found really difficult about watching old football matches, I've never not had that so it feels extremely wrong when it's not there.

dandoystevski

They older ones don't really.  Every fifteen minutes or so they'll flash up the old, three-quarter faced clock.  Part of the magic i find, personally, but ymmv.

dandoystevski

Should add that it also has plenty of games from our current era so we can still see the familiar and comforting glut of statistics like kilos lost per half time shit, for example.

Wonderful Butternut

Ireland's chances of qualifying for the Euros (whenever they may happen) just quadrupled with the appointment of Stephen Kenny. The original plan was for McDinosaur to stay in charge until after Euro 2020.

lankyguy95

Quote from: dandoystevski on April 04, 2020, 04:21:57 PM

You can search for teams on there, you just have to click on the dropdown next to the search bar and go for that option.

It is an amazing site. I've made good use of it for years.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52176562

Bundesliga clubs return to training. Photographers allowed in too? Weird

Uncle TechTip

They're stood outside in the last pic.

Dead Soon

Quote from: dandoystevski on April 04, 2020, 04:44:12 PM
They older ones don't really.  Every fifteen minutes or so they'll flash up the old, three-quarter faced clock.  Part of the magic i find, personally, but ymmv.

The ever-present live clock was introduced as recently as 1992, with the new Premier League. It wasn't even a popular decision to those resistant to any form of change but Sky persevered, for our glorious benefit.

Chollis

Any chat about the ol' furlough business lads?

After calling Spurs and Newcastle a horrible bunch of slugs with no personality my club (LFC) did exactly the same thing because they are a massive bunch of money-grabbing corporate shill soulless grave-dwelling cunts and I hope they die a bit naive and mildly misjudged the fan's view on said furloughing of staff after announcing fucking s*****c amounts of revenue and profit for the financial year but still gonna use the government scheme even though the owner could cover all non-playing staff wages with a droplet of his gold-flecked piss for at least a century.

But now they've backpedalled on it so no harm, no foul as far as I'm concerned obviously and literally 0 damage has been done to the relationship between the fans and the club and I am very happy that we have done this.

it's just not on though is it

OR IS IT?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's a law of natural weightings that Fenway Cunt Group and their spiderling subordinates would in all likelihood fail to think of the fans wishes or even general attitude and embarrass them like this.

Hopefully some of those fans will start keying onto the fact their club is now a hub of evil just like some of the more obviously evil ones and stop being so sanctimonious. History displays what you were, not who you are.

Over at Newcastle there are no such illusions about the Good of The Club and Its Owners. Piles of stinking fat shit that deserve to choke on their own shoddily made knock-off attire.

DrGreggles

I'd like to think that the owners have taken the reaction of the fans into account, but it's just a face-saving PR move isn't it.
And I was actually quite pleased with the reaction of the footballing side of the club until the money men starting trying to fuck everything up.

Captain Z

If anything I have less respect for an organisation that implements a cunty policy then immediately backtracks in the face of public anger than one that at least has the balls to stick to its cunty policy.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Captain Z on April 07, 2020, 03:08:19 PM
If anything I have less respect for an organisation that implements a cunty policy then immediately backtracks in the face of public anger than one that at least has the balls to stick to its cunty policy.

Yes, I definitely have more respect Mike Ashley shoving the economic burden of non-playing staff onto the tax payer so he can skim more money out of Newcastle, (which I presume he spends on lard) and shrugging his shoulders when people criticise him for it, than Liverpool, who with a bit of poking, realised how utterly tone-deaf and immoral they were being, and ultimately decided not to burden the tax payer with staff they can afford to keep paying.

Except no, I don't. Mike is still stealing from the British tax payer, whilst Liverpool, belatedly, have decided not to.

Of course, we could get into other large, profitable, companies who aren't football clubs doing the same fucking thing and getting considerably less air-time. Cos, you know it's okay to ask footballers to step up to the mark, but asking anyone else of similar means but less fame for the same thing is probably Communism is something.[nb]Just for clarity, we should absolutely be going after footballers for a bigger contribution at a time like this and Premier League clubs should not be allowed furlough their staff. But we should go after everyone else as well.[/nb]

chveik

I'm seeing people banging on about that Sunderland netflix series. is it really that good?

DrGreggles

Quote from: chveik on April 07, 2020, 03:46:04 PM
I'm seeing people banging on about that Sunderland netflix series. is it really that good?

Well, it shows no actual footage of Sunderland playing football, so in that respect...

lankyguy95

Quote from: chveik on April 07, 2020, 03:46:04 PM
It's a good laugh, both seasons.

Abnormal Palm

This skullduggery and moral midgetry alone justify the decision to strip LFC of this season's trophy, which they haven't even won and given their recent poor form would arguably not have done.

BlodwynPig

I'd go further, relegate the bunch of wankers to the old 4th division.

rue the polywhirl

So looks like Spurs are still furloughing their non-playing staff with the government job retention scheme for ailing businesses, not even topping up the remaining 20% of their salary and also their first team are back at training in close proximity to each other spreading the corona to everyone despite a little thing called a lockdown in London.  Easily the worst club during this whole saga. They have to be automatically expulled from all league football and there has to come a point where every last one spurs fan admits 'that's it... that's the final straw. I have to support a less morally bankrupt club like a Chelsea or West Ham'

Jockice

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on April 08, 2020, 06:44:01 AM
This skullduggery and moral midgetry alone justify the decision to strip LFC of this season's trophy, which they haven't even won and given their recent poor form would arguably not have done.

Meanwhile in Scotland, some supporters of those moral giants Rangers are trying to claim the same thing,  Even though Celtic weren't even doing remotely similar to Spurs and Newcastle. A newspaper up there had to apologise for suggesting so.

On a different subject, has there been a discussion of that Maradona documentary yet? I watched it last night. I can't help thinking things would have been different if he had signed for Sheffield United in the late 70s. They scouted him but ended up signing some bloke called Alex Sabella instead, who wasn't bad but no world-beater. However he ended up being Argentina's manager. Funny how things turn out.

The really offputting thing about the documentary is that the supposedly fearsome Mafia boss who became mates with Diego looked exactly like the Italian guy in Mind Your Language. Maybe they're related.

Personally I think that one Maradona scored against England is the greatest goal ever. The second wasn't bad either.

BlodwynPig

DrGreggles

Quote from: Jockice on April 08, 2020, 10:56:14 AM
On a different subject, has there been a discussion of that Maradona documentary yet?

I don't think so, but it's a great film.
He's an astonishing person in so many different ways, as well as (in my opinion) the greatest footballer there has ever been.

Enrico Palazzo

There's a Maradona series on Netflix too about his time in charge of a second division Mexican team. Only watched one episode so far but looks promising. Reminded me of the first series of Eastbound & Down.

Jockice

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on April 08, 2020, 12:33:20 PM
There's a Maradona series on Netflix too about his time in charge of a second division Mexican team. Only watched one episode so far but looks promising. Reminded me of the first series of Eastbound & Down.

I've never watched anything on Netflix to date but that sounds promising. Ta for the tip.