Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:02:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2020 - Rooney returns

Started by king_tubby, January 01, 2020, 10:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chollis

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 27, 2020, 03:16:16 PM
Your club has already been responsible for approximately 41 deaths so far. Here's another chance to kill some more.

worth it

Fr.Bigley

See you at Elland road you cunts.

Your club has already been responsible for approximately 41 deaths so far. Here's another chance to kill some more.
To be fair to LFC it was not thier decision whether the game went ahead or not. In fact they asked for it to be postponed. With hindsight you are right looks absolute madness it went ahead but don't blame Liverpool.

bgmnts

Jesus.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: MinnieTimperley on May 27, 2020, 05:58:10 PM
To be fair to LFC it was not thier decision whether the game went ahead or not. In fact they asked for it to be postponed. With hindsight you are right looks absolute madness it went ahead but don't blame Liverpool.

ok, actually on second thoughts...EPL?

It was a UEFA game BlodwynPig those pesky Europeans.

BlodwynPig

JamesTC

ollyboro

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 27, 2020, 10:40:54 AM
He learnt it all during his spell at Coventry. Could have bought him for a million, but SISU said no (and Ray Ranson then left).

Sunderland fans really, really hate Coventry. And Jimmy Hill in particular. Very funny reading their forum when the delayed kick-off from 45 years ago gets brought up. Which it does. Often.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: ollyboro on May 27, 2020, 09:16:17 PM
Sunderland fans really, really hate Coventry. And Jimmy Hill in particular. Very funny reading their forum when the delayed kick-off from 45 years ago gets brought up. Which it does. Often.

All the time. ALL THE TIME. Cov fans view their reaction with a mixture of hilarity and bemusement, especially given the trajectory of both teams fortunes over the past 20 years or so.

I can well imagine their apoplexy if League One gets cancelled, we get promoted and they finished 8th. No doubt they'll see it as a sign of interference from beyond the grave from the divine chin.

BlodwynPig

Were Bristol City not complicit? In any case, I don't see any problem if it meant Sunderland were relegated. I don't think they have ever really recovered.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 27, 2020, 10:41:32 PM
Were Bristol City not complicit? In any case, I don't see any problem if it meant Sunderland were relegated. I don't think they have ever really recovered.

I don't doubt what happened was dodgy in terms of the kick-off being delayed. If Sunderland had been in the same position knowing that both they and their opponent needed to draw to stay up, I'm sure that they would have taken their foot off the gas too.

I just don't get how some of their fans can still be so aggrieved by it 40 years later when they have had a far more successful period (in terms of league position at least) for the best part of 25 years.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 27, 2020, 10:54:20 PM

I just don't get how some of their fans can still be so aggrieved by it 40 years later when they have had a far more successful period (in terms of league position at least) for the best part of 25 years.

A lot of football fans will just hate another team until the day they die even though the entire staff, players, owners, etc change numerous times over the course of their lives. It's mind-numbingly stupid. They're basically hating a badge and that's it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 28, 2020, 10:52:05 AM
A lot of football fans will just hate another team until the day they die even though the entire staff, players, owners, etc change numerous times over the course of their lives. It's mind-numbingly stupid. They're basically hating a badge and that's it.

In Newcastle United's case, its a persistence corrupt ethos that started way back in the 60s and 70s and is awaiting a new Arabian chapter now. A criminal outfit for decades.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 28, 2020, 10:54:34 AM
In Newcastle United's case, its a persistence corrupt ethos that started way back in the 60s and 70s and is awaiting a new Arabian chapter now. A criminal outfit for decades.

It goes back further than that
The history of the Tyne–Wear derby is a modern-day extension of a rivalry between Sunderland and Newcastle that dates back to the English Civil War when protestations over advantages that merchants in Royalist Newcastle had over their Wearside counterparts led to Sunderland becoming a Parliamentarian stronghold

I take no real stock in it despite being a Newcastle fan (by default) but have an automatic slightly negative response to the word "Sunderland" just from years of social conditioning.

I'm relishing this takeover though, get on board mate it's gonna be a wild ride.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 28, 2020, 11:04:18 AM
It goes back further than that
I take no real stock in it despite being a Newcastle fan (by default) but have an automatic slightly negative response to the word "Sunderland" just from years of social conditioning.

I'm relishing this takeover though, get on board mate it's gonna be a wild ride.

If they bring Solano, Asprilla, Ginola, Lee, Batty, Bowyer, and Beardsley back - it would be something to relish. MAKE THE BIGG MARKET GREAT AGAIN

The Culture Bunker

At least Sunderland and Newcastle have a half-decent reason - Civil War nonsense - for dislike of each other. I come from a town where the rivalry with Workington (rugby league rather than football, though) is based on who did or didn't have jam sandwiches back in the old days.

And the answer is Workington did, obviously.

DrGreggles

EOLAN

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52833725

Football returns. 17th June with Sheffield United defeating playing Aston Vila.

[nb]*And Arsenal playing Manchester City[/nb]

Abnormal Palm

Let's hope a lot of the players, staff and fans die of Covid-19 😂😂😂

Chollis

Fr.Bigley

Ferris

Quote from: EOLAN on May 28, 2020, 04:23:44 PM
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52833725
Football returns. 17th June with Sheffield United defeating playing Aston Vila.
[nb]*And Arsenal playing Manchester City[/nb]

Delighted that the Villa will restart proceedings with 3 easy points*

*going to the Blades

Ferris

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on May 28, 2020, 05:30:08 PM
Then villa waving to us as we go up and they go down. MOT

Boring in the prem anyway, bit too mainstream. We're off to scope out the cool new underground indie bars (the championship) while you mugs get wrecked and take photos of yourselves in Vodka Revolution (the prem).

That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

Can we pop Gini Wijnaldum in the AESTHETIC thread please ❤❤❤

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 28, 2020, 05:33:41 PM
Boring in the prem anyway, bit too mainstream. We're off to scope out the cool new underground indie bars (the championship) while you mugs get wrecked and take photos of yourselves in Vodka Revolution (the prem).

That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

Has the Canadian League started up again?

Must renew my Forge membership

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 28, 2020, 06:05:16 PM
Has the Canadian League started up again?

Must renew my Forge membership

Did I tell you I'm a Halifax Wanderers fan now? Went to a few games over the summer.

The league will fold pretty quickly now I reckon, but we'll always have the memories