Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,209
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:43:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2020 - Rooney returns

Started by king_tubby, January 01, 2020, 10:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 01, 2020, 08:57:25 PM
Depends how you define "best", I suppose. They have won a couple of other trophies that I'm sure mean more than finishing 3rd or whatever.

By that logic it doesn't matter whether Rodgers winds up with Leicester finishing 3rd or 7th.

It obviously does however as history will show you Leicester hardly ever do that.

You can't face both ways. You can either argue one of the greatest seasons in their history is meaningless as they didn't win a trophy or do the more sensible thing of pointing out Rodgers has actually had a successful season (spending vast swathes of the season ahead of last years league winners and oil billionaires is pretty fucking good usually), just a slightly schizo one that's coming off the rails.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 01, 2020, 08:19:02 PM
Probs still going to end up being the 3rd most successful season since the late 1920s with Charlatan Manager.

True, but the collapse (the best team they've beaten since the 1st of January is West Ham) is typical Rodgers. Blow smoke up players' arses so they think they're the king shits and play well for a while, but once that wears off there's fuck all other than tactical ineptitude, and the inability to truly improve any player he has, under the surface.

It's what happened at Liverpool condensed into a year and a half. And I doubt his experience of automatically winning at Celtic will have taught him any way to arrest the slide. Just a matter of how long it takes a good six months to cease being a good enough reason to retain him.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 01, 2020, 09:05:19 PM
By that logic it doesn't matter whether Rodgers winds up with Leicester finishing 3rd or 7th.

It obviously does however as history will show you Leicester hardly ever do that.

You can't face both ways. You can either argue one of the greatest seasons in their history is meaningless as they didn't win a trophy or do the more sensible thing of pointing out Rodgers has actually had a successful season (spending vast swathes of the season ahead of last years league winners and oil billionaires is pretty fucking good usually), just a slightly schizo one that's coming off the rails.
If Leicester finish in the top four (not looking likely), then it's one thing. If they finish 5th or 6th, then I can't see how it's a better season then when they finished whatever mid/lower table position but won the League Cup.

That said, if fans prefer finishing third to winning a cup, then it's a sad state of affairs that I can't even begin to understand.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 01, 2020, 09:23:33 PM
If Leicester finish in the top four (not looking likely), then it's one thing. If they finish 5th or 6th, then I can't see how it's a better season then when they finished whatever mid/lower table position but won the League Cup.

That said, if fans prefer finishing third to winning a cup, then it's a sad state of affairs that I can't even begin to understand.

Newcastle supporter, cups are for dreamers and ancestral memory

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 01, 2020, 09:23:33 PM

Have you heard of this thing called the Champions League?

There's a lot of money involved in qualifying for it and it is potentially[nb]I say potentially, because your club could spunk all the money on shite, a bit like Leicester did last time, thus defeating the purpose[/nb] better for your clubs financial position and ability to potentially challenge for greater honours in the future than the League Cup.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on July 01, 2020, 09:27:34 PM

There's a lot of money involved in qualifying for it and it is potentially[nb]I say potentially, because your club could spunk all the money on shite, a bit like Leicester did last time, thus defeating the purpose[/nb] better for your clubs financial position and ability to potentially challenge for greater honours in the future than the League Cup.

An illusion of entertainment for Qatari teenagers to gawp in awe at a toned man prancing under bright lights. Awful stuff.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on July 01, 2020, 09:27:34 PM

It's certainly worked out that way for Spurs in lifting them from occasional bottle jobs to the regular version.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 01, 2020, 09:31:03 PM
An illusion of entertainment for Qatari teenagers to gawp in awe at a toned man prancing under bright lights. Awful stuff.

Pays out though.

Some quality commentary from Carragher here: https://youtu.be/aeGMUSmkS8E?t=113

Didn't think a man's voice could go that high.

king_tubby

What about the voice of Geddy Lee?

DrGreggles

Head Gardener

chveik

Captain Z

imitationleather

That VAR decision was a total joke. It's hard to muster up enthusiasm about football when stuff like that can happen.

BlodwynPig

Michael Brown with the most bizarre of sentences

QuoteThey got the decision correct. It's the law, the rules. That's what is difficult to take. We want to watch goals - it's really harsh on Spurs.

Waldorf and Stadler in one sentence + WE WANT TO WATCH GOALS - THAT IS ALL FOOTBALL IS ABOUT

bgmnts

Ha jesus christ.

Eric Dier looks like a bloke who won a competition to be a Spurs defender for a day.

imitationleather

BlodwynPig

Shoulders?-Stomach!

BlodwynPig

Head Gardener

Good to hear effin' and jeffin' on the pitch at The Etihad with no crowd sound on Sky, commentators apologising of course

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hope any betting folk stuck all their money on a Man City win for this game.

Head Gardener

Am a quid on LFC for 3:2 so fingers x for the 2nd half

Captain Z

Kinnell, I don't think much of these champions.

Head Gardener

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Head Gardener on July 02, 2020, 08:58:11 PM
Am a quid on LFC for 3:2 so fingers x for the 2nd half

3-0, sucker.

BTW, Liverpool in line for 10 point deduction, so this result becomes very interesting

bgmnts

Haha this is great to be fair. Let them celebrate while eating out of the league trophy tonight.

Bet half of them are still hungover.

BlodwynPig