Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:54:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2020 - Rooney returns

Started by king_tubby, January 01, 2020, 10:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 03, 2020, 11:39:28 AM
Has it been decided what's happening with this season's champions league yet?

A mini-tournament in Lisbon in August, single-leg fixtures only: https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/025e-0f9a3f8c5c4d-3323c8a96a4d-1000--champions-league-final-eight-in-lisbon/

RE: Liverpool's defence, it seems they, Man City and Man U are fighting over Koulibaly from Napoli. I know nothing about Italian football but he's apparently one of the best centre backs in the world. I get a feeling whichever team he arrives at will get an immediate boost, à la Van Dijk at Liverpool.

sevendaughters

I heard re: Liverpool next season is that TAA wants to play midfield and that Klopp is amenable to giving it a go and letting Neco Williams have a run at right-back.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 03, 2020, 11:36:55 AM
Why should the new champions, Champions League perennials and one of the biggest clubs in the world, who spent nothing last summer and very little in January be looking to strengthen on the cheap?

Most clubs are a bit tight on cashflow courtesy of COVID and a lot will be in 'sell to buy' mode for the summer, and there'll be more swaps (like Artur for Pjanic) and part exchanges than normal. Notable exceptions are Chelsea, because they couldn't spend the money they got for Hazard last summer due to their transfer embargo, and Ajax because they got over £150m for de Ligt, de Jong and Dolberg last summer and have spent very little of it.

Liverpool have additional constraints in that we've consistently paid more to agents than most other clubs (for whatever reason) for the past few seaons, aren't getting the performance related payments for Coutinho, that we had budgeted on the assumption of getting, because he's been shit, and we paid a lot more up front for van Dijk than is normal for a transfer of that size because we illegally approached him. That, along with bonus payouts to players for winning the league, offsets any extra money we get for winning.

JamesTC

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 03, 2020, 11:58:40 AM

RE: Liverpool's defence, it seems they, Man City and Man U are fighting over Koulibaly from Napoli. I know nothing about Italian football but he's apparently one of the best centre backs in the world. I get a feeling whichever team he arrives at will get an immediate boost, à la Van Dijk at Liverpool.

Liverpool aren't buying Koulibaly. All just nonsense from Italian media reposted from the Metro. United seem to buy a big money CB every year or two so maybe they would buy him.

But he'd be an incredible signing for any team that got him. As you say, he is one of the best defenders in the world.

JamesTC

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 03, 2020, 12:01:54 PM
I heard re: Liverpool next season is that TAA wants to play midfield and that Klopp is amenable to giving it a go and letting Neco Williams have a run at right-back.

Neco has been great in the cup games. But Trent would be wasted in midfield.

Wonderful Butternut

Koulibaly's 29 and Napoli apparently want £80m for him. They won't get that at his age.

lankyguy95

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 03, 2020, 12:01:54 PM
Trent could definitely play in midfield but with the structure of this team, I think his best position is right back - he gets more space to run into, more space to pass and cross, and is able to control that outside channel in possession without necessarily needing much support. Put him in midfield and he'd have more covering responsibility and less space. It's something worth experimenting with and certainly might be an option in the long term but it's not especially necessary right now.

If it's tried it would have to be because a) Neco Williams is ready to step up, and b) Trent clearly shows he's a better option in midfield than the other options at the time.

DrGreggles

Quote from: lankyguy95 on July 03, 2020, 12:49:47 PM
Trent could definitely play in midfield but with the structure of this team, I think his best position is right back - he gets more space to run into, more space to pass and cross, and is able to control that outside channel in possession without necessarily needing much support. Put him in midfield and he'd have more covering responsibility and less space. It's something worth experimenting with and certainly might be an option in the long term but it's not especially necessary right now.

If it's tried it would have to be because a) Neco Williams is ready to step up, and b) Trent clearly shows he's a better option in midfield than the other options at the time.

If only there were a few games coming up to try such things out...

I can see Williams, Jones and Elliot getting starts in the remining matches, along with the other squad players. Focus the regulars on preparing for next season, especially as the pre-season plans are a bit buggered.

lankyguy95

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 03, 2020, 03:27:57 PM
If only there were a few games coming up to try such things out...
Haha I was talking in reference to it being a regular thing next season. It's definitely worth experimenting with in the meantime.

BlodwynPig

^ ^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^

"My God, it's full of *"

https://twitter.com/marksparko/status/1279000646335836163?s=21

This is wild if true. Wigan bought, so they could go into admin, so that a poker player could win a bet that they would get relegated?!

Dubious, but I'm struggling to think how a club could go into administration a few weeks after being taken over.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on July 03, 2020, 04:56:58 PM
https://twitter.com/marksparko/status/1279000646335836163?s=21

This is wild if true. Wigan bought, so they could go into admin, so that a poker player could win a bet that they would get relegated?!

Dubious, but I'm struggling to think how a club could go into administration a few weeks after being taken over.

Ha ha - the game is fucked as soon as you let those playboy crooks in through the door.

Extra *

sevendaughters

There's a lot of rumour, conjecture, hearsay, and magical thinking going around the Wigan forums. I'm not sure I'd believe some of the wilder things, but something stinks and what really hurts is that the EFL will sit on their hands as ever whilst applying the letter of a law that isn't fit for purpose.

DrGreggles

Some lovely old shit going down at Fleetwood v Wycombe

- Goal direct from a corner
- Dodgy penalty scored
- Straight red card
- Penalty missed
- Joseph Barton with a big fish

All in the opening half hour!

holyzombiejesus

You've missed 3 of the best things. Joey Barton turning in to Joe Pasquale, Gareth Ainsworth's hair and the Fleetwood 'fans'.

BlodwynPig

Fleetwood - the prison team? Just saw this is where Ched Evans ended up

bgmnts

Quite a funny ending to the Derby Forest game.

king_tubby

Especially if you're a Derby fan. Chris 'Elbows' Martin, a true hero.

Ferris

Quote from: king_tubby on July 04, 2020, 02:43:44 PM
Especially if you're a Derby fan. Chris 'Elbows' Martin, a true hero.

He gets a lot of shit for being in Coldplay as you well know.

DrGreggles

FAO: German cup final fans

The German cup final is about to start (BT Sport 1)

Sheffield Wednesday

I hope all small clubs close down for financial reasons. Big deal who cares

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Lazio's title challenge over. Bayern win the cup, all the usual cunts win. What a shit day of results.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 05, 2020, 03:27:11 AM
Lazio's title challenge over. Bayern win the cup, all the usual cunts win. What a shit day of results.

Capitalism wanted this, capitalism got what it wanted - fans feeling confused and bereft is of tertiary concern

DrGreggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 02, 2020, 10:46:48 PM
Been watching Real Madrid struggle against Getafe* for 80 minutes, then get bailed out with another penalty...

Been watching Real Madrid struggle against Bilbao for 73 minutes, then get bailed out with another penalty...

Wonderful Butternut

What has Divock Origi done to his head? It's like having Djibril Cisse again.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 05, 2020, 02:41:12 PM
Been watching Real Madrid struggle against Bilbao for 73 minutes, then get bailed out with another penalty...

How many games in a row has Ramos scored a penalty?

edit. he's scored 7 penalties this season, 3 being in the last 4 games...and also the decisive goal

His first penalty of 22 was scored back in 2010

Blue Jam

Sir Captain Tom Moore just popped up on BBC1 to tell us it's time to start football properly again.

chveik

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 05, 2020, 08:18:50 PM
Sir Captain Tom Moore just popped up on BBC1 to tell us it's time to start football properly again.

I don't think we're allowed to play with burmese children's heads anymore Captain Tom

bgmnts

Southampton defending as though the club has every player's family hostage.