Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:36:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

The year 2000 is as far from 1980 as it is from now.

DrGreggles

People put HNY in messages and it means Happy New Year.

BlodwynPig

Although there is a year 2020, there was no year 0202, merely 202.

Imagine living in the year 202.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 02, 2020, 10:17:13 PM
People put HNY in messages and it means Happy New Year.

You okay HNY?

love, Trish and Brian
           x

Ray Travez

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 02, 2020, 10:22:58 PM
We're all fucked

You're fashionably late to the "we're all fucked" party. Help yourself to doomed nibbles.

Ray Travez

'Chinos' means Chinese. They're a Chinese trouser.

Ferris

Posting so I stay in the loop on this thread, but not a single thing to contribute. Shambles.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 03, 2020, 02:46:12 AM
Posting so I stay in the loop on this thread

If you mean what I think you mean, then an obvious thing that you ought to realise is that there's a NOTIFY button at the bottom of the page.

Mind you, I've never used it and/or maybe it doesn't work the way you like, so maybe it's me that needs to realise an obvious thing...

EDIT: and I just spotted the "0".  Very good...

Endicott

Doesn't notify mean send you an email? Whereas what Ferris has done means replies will show up on this page.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=unreadreplies

It's a crude but effective way of filtering out other threads. (obv i could be wrong about F's intentions)

Ferris

Quote from: Endicott on January 03, 2020, 02:06:02 PM
Doesn't notify mean send you an email? Whereas what Ferris has done means replies will show up on this page.

It's a crude but effective way of filtering out other threads. (obv i could be wrong about F's intentions)

Correct on both counts.

Endicott

Ferris

Quote from: Endicott on January 03, 2020, 02:28:15 PM
That's me outed as popcorn's double agent.

You lack the moral cowardice and woeful lack of judgement to truly be popcorn.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Endicott on January 03, 2020, 02:06:02 PMDoesn't notify mean send you an email? Whereas what Ferris has done means replies will show up on this page.

Ah, although aware of its existence, I never use that.  I just browse everything the old fashioned way.

I know Notify sends an email, but on another place I used to use it ALSO did an in-forum pop-up notification as well; since I've never used it I wasn't sure if ours did too.

Thanks for the info.

olliebean

Quote from: Endicott on January 03, 2020, 02:06:02 PM

I'm pretty sure Notify does the same thing. Whether it sends you an email or not depends on how you've set it up on the Notifications page at https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=notification.

One of the settings is "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic", and that's essentially what's happening when you post a reply so you can follow the thread - exactly the same as if you'd clicked the Notify button.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Ray Travez on January 03, 2020, 01:27:28 AM
You're fashionably late to the "we're all fucked" party. Help yourself to doomed nibbles.
surprised there are any left tbh. May be pocketing some later on

touchingcloth

Watched a programme earlier where Gareth Malone was in prison teaching the prisoners how to choir, and I realised that prisoners the UK get to wear just normal clothes - Adidas and whatnot - rather than orange jumpsuits with arrows on them. But maybe icehaven can confirm.

QDRPHNC

newbridge's profile pic was from Nathan for You.

What happened to newbridge?

Icehaven

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 06, 2020, 11:41:57 PM
Watched a programme earlier where Gareth Malone was in prison teaching the prisoners how to choir, and I realised that prisoners the UK get to wear just normal clothes - Adidas and whatnot - rather than orange jumpsuits with arrows on them. But maybe icehaven can confirm.

Yep most prisoners do wear their own clothes. It depends a lot on what prison you're in (Category A/high security ones might be different), whether or not you're convicted and if your family are bothered enough to bring you any clothes in or if you can afford/choose to buy yourself some (there's catalogues etc.) You can only have so much brought in though, and how much and when depends on whether you're convicted or not, it's something like once every 6 months. There's some restrictions in the one I work in (which are probably the same in most prisons) that aren't unlike some pubs, no hoods, football tops or anything deemed offensive. Black isn't supposed to be allowed either as the officer's uniforms are mostly black, but that isn't always enforced particularly strictly. There's still standard issues clothes as well of course, it's currently a grey tracksuit or burgundy jumpers here, and there's burgundy or green work trousers for different jobs too. And then there's the delightful banana suits for anyone who's deemed an escape risk;

Paul Calf

Norton Canes

AFC Wimbledon consider training outfit redesign

Ray Travez

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 03, 2020, 05:35:01 PM
surprised there are any left tbh. May be pocketing some later on

They're a bit radioactive, and some of them are on fire, but they're still nice enough

Replies From View

petril

its full title is Waltzy Towers Dining Experience

touchingcloth

The punchline "Doyouthinkhesaurus Rex" is based on Rex apparently being a common name for a dog. So common that I've never met one, but then I've never met a dog called Fido it a cow named Daisy.

Replies From View

"POKE-MEN" is short for Nintendo Pocket Monsters

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 08, 2020, 01:04:21 AM
The punchline "Doyouthinkhesaurus Rex" is based on Rex apparently being a common name for a dog. So common that I've never met one, but then I've never met a dog called Fido it a cow named Daisy.

The punchline doesn't have "Rex" on the end.

Tyrannosaurus Rex is all about the second boy-who-turns-into-a-dog in Woof! though; you are right.

Cerys

Yes it does.  There are two parts to the joke told in Jurassic Park.