Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:14:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Dexter Fletcher also directed them both (but not really Bohemian Rhapsody, which is why you're absolutely correct in one film being incredible and the other being garbage).

I don't watch Game of Thrones so I hadn't made that connection, but is my memory correct in that Reid isn't portrayed as a total arsehole in Bohemian Rhapsody?

touchingcloth

Bright Eyes' Road to Joy is a reference to Ode to Joy.

touchingcloth

ME AGAIN

Liverpool have somehow not won the footie for 30 years, so since I was 3. I'm not a follower of the foots balls, but from memory when I was at school they were one of the teams it was fairly common for non-local kids to support (I've lived in various places around the country, and the closest to Liverpool has been Manchester), so I always assumed that was because they were dead good and always winning. Maybe the kids in my schools just really loved The Beatles. Or hated The Sun.

Spudgun

Quote from: Darles Chickens on June 26, 2020, 09:43:32 AM
Also Oh Well.

From the 90s, there were Ghosts and, erm, Doop.

Madness were named after someone else's song, if that counts. (Which they covered, of course.) That was in the late 70s.

QuoteLiverpool have somehow not won the footie for 30 years . . . I always assumed that was because they were dead good and always winning

They won everything else multiple times in those 30 years, just not this particular competition.

Out of interest, why did they not win the Premier League while one the top three teams for decades?

Spudgun

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 27, 2020, 12:23:36 AM
Out of interest, why did they not win the Premier League while one the top three teams for decades?

Well, Liverpool weren't always one of the top three in that 30 years, so I suppose there's your first answer. A quick count at this site says four second-place finishes since they last won it, five third-place, and seven fourth-place, with the rest being fifth to eighth. Which isn't really that bad in the grand scheme of things - for instance, Tottenham Hotspur haven't been champions since 1961, or Newcastle United since 1927, and both have been relegated in the intervening years - but it is a bit of a quirk to have been champions of Europe (and champions of the world) before being champions of England. In short:

- Not good enough to put together a consistent season in those 30 years, but still good enough to beat anyone on their day and therefore win cups
- The rise of Ferguson's Man Utd, Wenger's Arsenal, Abramovic's Chelsea, and the Sheikh's Man City in that time
- Going back to square one each time they changed their manager every four or five years, rather than promoting continuity
- A million and one other little things that all add up

To win the Premier League, pretty much everything has to come together near enough perfectly at the same time. Unfortunately, this is something very easy to avoid doing (as my own team has proven throughout its entire history) - especially if few or none of your players have ever won it before. Now that they've won it, though, I'd be surprised if they don't win it again within the next couple of years.

Oh, and Jurgen Klopp. He's brilliant, and a perfect fit for the club.

Sebastian Cobb

I don't care about or really understand football at all but have ended up seeing some of Klopp's response to winning and think it was really lovely. Probably the most emotional response I've had from anything to do with football including national matches tbh.

Paul Calf

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 27, 2020, 12:23:36 AM

Because it's a team of sprinters and the Premier League is a marathon.

Paul Calf

olliebean

None of this stuff about football is obvious or indeed interesting. (That's obvious, but I realised it a very long time ago.)

touchingcloth

I have no idea what Aussie rules football involves. How many players are on a team, whether the balls are round or not, what shape the goals are, whether they can punch each other in the faces, mate.

petril

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 27, 2020, 09:40:23 PM
I have no idea what Aussie rules football involves. How many players are on a team, whether the balls are round or not, what shape the goals are, whether they can punch each other in the faces, mate.

18, no they're eggs, four vertical poles like someone flicking a V but wrong and using the middle and ring fingers, doubt it but you can knee cunts in the back of the head as long as it's to get a platform game style boost jump

studpuppet

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 27, 2020, 09:40:23 PM

I once heard it described as being invented by a bunch of Irishmen, who wanted to play football on a cricket pitch with a rugby ball.

touchingcloth

Quote from: studpuppet on June 27, 2020, 11:40:37 PM
I once heard it described as being invented by a bunch of Irishmen, who wanted to play football on a cricket pitch with a rugby ball.

Where does the Irishness present itself? Is it like hurling?

petril

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 28, 2020, 12:34:41 PM

it's the reason they were in Australia

studpuppet

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 28, 2020, 12:34:41 PM

You can carry, bounce and 'hand off' the ball similar to Gaelic Football, but the person who said it was alluding more to how the rules have an 'Irish' logic to them.

(Yes, he was being a bit racist)

buttgammon

There's enough of a similarity between Aussie Rules and Gaelic football that teams from both sports sometimes compete against each other, so it works on that level (though bearing in mind studpuppet's post, that may just be a coincidence as far as the bloke who made the comparison was concerned).

Small Man Big Horse

I've been pronouncing Louis Armstrong as if it were "Louie Armstrong" my whole life, but recently learnt that it should be said as if it's "Lewis Armstrong". Sorry Louis.

Ferris

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 28, 2020, 04:08:39 PM
I've been pronouncing Louis Armstrong as if it were "Louie Armstrong" my whole life, but recently learnt that it should be said as if it's "Lewis Armstrong". Sorry Louis.

...really?! Shit.

Puce Moment

Brett Goldstein pronounces Roisin Conaty's name as 'Rose In' instead of 'Roe Sheen'. He did it all the way through the podcast. Can someone tell him? Or is that how her name is pronounced? I'm Irish and I have never pronounced it that way, or even heard it pronounced so literally.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 28, 2020, 04:22:46 PM
...really?! Shit.

Yeah, I only discovered it while watching Hello, Dolly! last weekend, and this scene in particular: https://youtu.be/hWdv5MQNImo?t=19

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 28, 2020, 04:26:06 PM
Brett Goldstein pronounces Roisin Conaty's name as 'Rose In' instead of 'Roe Sheen'. He did it all the way through the podcast. Can someone tell him? Or is that how her name is pronounced? I'm Irish and I have never pronounced it that way, or even heard it pronounced so literally.

I've a friend called Roisin and she's definitely off the "Roe Sheen" variety, so I imagine Brett's wrong. (Ivo Graham also calls her "Roe Sheen" here, which backs us up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NA_HNG_PaY)

Ambient Sheep

Count me in as another "Louie Armstrong"... are we really sure about this?!

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 28, 2020, 04:26:06 PM

Relax.  Whenever she's been on 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, she's been introduced by Jimmy Carr as the proper "RoeSheen".

NoSleep

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on June 28, 2020, 06:15:15 PM
Count me in as another "Louie Armstrong"... are we really sure about this?!

The bottom line is Louis didn't like being called Louie.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 28, 2020, 04:29:16 PM
Yeah, I only discovered it while watching Hello, Dolly! last weekend, and this scene in particular: https://youtu.be/hWdv5MQNImo?t=19

I've a friend called Roisin and she's definitely off the "Roe Sheen" variety, so I imagine Brett's wrong. (Ivo Graham also calls her "Roe Sheen" here, which backs us up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NA_HNG_PaY)

I've listened to her on a couple of podcasts recently, as well hearing her mate Greg Davies talking about her, and she's always been roe-sheen or Rosh (with the o from toe, so not rhyming with Josh) for short.

Gregory Torso

Feel d. stupid about this, but you can see a CaB user's fullsize avatar by right clicking on it

touchingcloth

Gregory Torso

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 30, 2020, 11:05:50 PM
C&A clothing is a going concern.

Don't just drop this sentence on me without a full briefing.

Gregory Torso

And by 'full briefing' I mean an underpant full of cock and balls.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Gregory Torso on June 30, 2020, 11:26:30 PM
Don't just drop this sentence on me without a full briefing.

I thought they'd gone bust for some reason, but I saw one today and it took me back to the days when high streets were awash with Woolworthses and Mothercares.