Author Topic: Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020  (Read 49589 times)

touchingcloth

• You wanna plack the rick, you ha.
Re: Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020
« Reply #1020 on: June 26, 2020, 01:05:01 PM »
Dexter Fletcher also directed them both (but not really Bohemian Rhapsody, which is why you're absolutely correct in one film being incredible and the other being garbage).

I don't watch Game of Thrones so I hadn't made that connection, but is my memory correct in that Reid isn't portrayed as a total arsehole in Bohemian Rhapsody?

touchingcloth

« Reply #1021 on: June 26, 2020, 01:05:36 PM »
Bright Eyes' Road to Joy is a reference to Ode to Joy.

touchingcloth

« Reply #1022 on: June 26, 2020, 03:56:50 PM »
ME AGAIN

Liverpool have somehow not won the footie for 30 years, so since I was 3. I'm not a follower of the foots balls, but from memory when I was at school they were one of the teams it was fairly common for non-local kids to support (I've lived in various places around the country, and the closest to Liverpool has been Manchester), so I always assumed that was because they were dead good and always winning. Maybe the kids in my schools just really loved The Beatles. Or hated The Sun.

« Reply #1023 on: June 26, 2020, 11:50:40 PM »
Also Oh Well.

From the 90s, there were Ghosts and, erm, Doop.

Madness were named after someone else's song, if that counts. (Which they covered, of course.) That was in the late 70s.

Liverpool have somehow not won the footie for 30 years . . . I always assumed that was because they were dead good and always winning

They won everything else multiple times in those 30 years, just not this particular competition.

thecuriousorange

• WELCOME THRILLHOU
« Reply #1024 on: June 27, 2020, 12:23:36 AM »
Out of interest, why did they not win the Premier League while one the top three teams for decades?

« Reply #1025 on: June 27, 2020, 01:23:35 AM »
Out of interest, why did they not win the Premier League while one the top three teams for decades?

Well, Liverpool weren't always one of the top three in that 30 years, so I suppose there's your first answer. A quick count at this site says four second-place finishes since they last won it, five third-place, and seven fourth-place, with the rest being fifth to eighth. Which isn't really that bad in the grand scheme of things - for instance, Tottenham Hotspur haven't been champions since 1961, or Newcastle United since 1927, and both have been relegated in the intervening years - but it is a bit of a quirk to have been champions of Europe (and champions of the world) before being champions of England. In short:

- Not good enough to put together a consistent season in those 30 years, but still good enough to beat anyone on their day and therefore win cups
- The rise of Ferguson's Man Utd, Wenger's Arsenal, Abramovic's Chelsea, and the Sheikh's Man City in that time
- Going back to square one each time they changed their manager every four or five years, rather than promoting continuity
- A million and one other little things that all add up

To win the Premier League, pretty much everything has to come together near enough perfectly at the same time. Unfortunately, this is something very easy to avoid doing (as my own team has proven throughout its entire history) - especially if few or none of your players have ever won it before. Now that they've won it, though, I'd be surprised if they don't win it again within the next couple of years.

Oh, and Jurgen Klopp. He's brilliant, and a perfect fit for the club.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #1026 on: June 27, 2020, 01:39:13 AM »
I don't care about or really understand football at all but have ended up seeing some of Klopp's response to winning and think it was really lovely. Probably the most emotional response I've had from anything to do with football including national matches tbh.

Paul Calf

• LOTION MAN
  • Golden Member
  • พระบาทสมเด็จพระวชิรเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัวเป็นคนงี่เง่าของฆาตกร
« Reply #1027 on: June 27, 2020, 08:33:23 AM »

Because it’s a team of sprinters and the Premier League is a marathon.

Paul Calf

• LOTION MAN
  • Golden Member
  • พระบาทสมเด็จพระวชิรเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัวเป็นคนงี่เง่าของฆาตกร
« Reply #1028 on: June 27, 2020, 08:34:17 AM »
Well, half-marathon.

« Reply #1029 on: June 27, 2020, 11:22:48 AM »
None of this stuff about football is obvious or indeed interesting. (That's obvious, but I realised it a very long time ago.)

touchingcloth

« Reply #1030 on: June 27, 2020, 09:40:23 PM »
I have no idea what Aussie rules football involves. How many players are on a team, whether the balls are round or not, what shape the goals are, whether they can punch each other in the faces, mate.

petrilTanaka

• Are we counting shites?
« Reply #1031 on: June 27, 2020, 10:12:37 PM »
I have no idea what Aussie rules football involves. How many players are on a team, whether the balls are round or not, what shape the goals are, whether they can punch each other in the faces, mate.

18, no they're eggs, four vertical poles like someone flicking a V but wrong and using the middle and ring fingers, doubt it but you can knee cunts in the back of the head as long as it's to get a platform game style boost jump

« Reply #1032 on: June 27, 2020, 11:40:37 PM »

I once heard it described as being invented by a bunch of Irishmen, who wanted to play football on a cricket pitch with a rugby ball.

touchingcloth

« Reply #1033 on: June 28, 2020, 12:34:41 PM »
I once heard it described as being invented by a bunch of Irishmen, who wanted to play football on a cricket pitch with a rugby ball.

Where does the Irishness present itself? Is it like hurling?

petrilTanaka

• Are we counting shites?
« Reply #1034 on: June 28, 2020, 02:39:30 PM »

it's the reason they were in Australia

« Reply #1035 on: June 28, 2020, 03:35:05 PM »

You can carry, bounce and 'hand off' the ball similar to Gaelic Football, but the person who said it was alluding more to how the rules have an 'Irish' logic to them.

(Yes, he was being a bit racist)

buttgammon

• How thick is wall?
« Reply #1036 on: June 28, 2020, 03:59:05 PM »
There's enough of a similarity between Aussie Rules and Gaelic football that teams from both sports sometimes compete against each other, so it works on that level (though bearing in mind studpuppet's post, that may just be a coincidence as far as the bloke who made the comparison was concerned).

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #1037 on: June 28, 2020, 04:08:39 PM »
I've been pronouncing Louis Armstrong as if it were "Louie Armstrong" my whole life, but recently learnt that it should be said as if it's "Lewis Armstrong". Sorry Louis.

FerriswheelBueller

• CaB rear of the year 2020
  • Silver Member
  • Take it easy, but take it.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #1038 on: June 28, 2020, 04:22:46 PM »
I've been pronouncing Louis Armstrong as if it were "Louie Armstrong" my whole life, but recently learnt that it should be said as if it's "Lewis Armstrong". Sorry Louis.

...really?! Shit.

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #1039 on: June 28, 2020, 04:26:06 PM »
Brett Goldstein pronounces Roisin Conaty's name as 'Rose In' instead of 'Roe Sheen'. He did it all the way through the podcast. Can someone tell him? Or is that how her name is pronounced? I'm Irish and I have never pronounced it that way, or even heard it pronounced so literally.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #1040 on: June 28, 2020, 04:29:16 PM »
...really?! Shit.

Yeah, I only discovered it while watching Hello, Dolly! last weekend, and this scene in particular: https://youtu.be/hWdv5MQNImo?t=19

Brett Goldstein pronounces Roisin Conaty's name as 'Rose In' instead of 'Roe Sheen'. He did it all the way through the podcast. Can someone tell him? Or is that how her name is pronounced? I'm Irish and I have never pronounced it that way, or even heard it pronounced so literally.

I've a friend called Roisin and she's definitely off the "Roe Sheen" variety, so I imagine Brett's wrong. (Ivo Graham also calls her "Roe Sheen" here, which backs us up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NA_HNG_PaY)

Ambient Sheep

• Please help me, I'm lost. I don't know what to do.
« Reply #1041 on: June 28, 2020, 06:15:15 PM »
Count me in as another "Louie Armstrong"... are we really sure about this?!

Relax.  Whenever she's been on 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, she's been introduced by Jimmy Carr as the proper "RoeSheen".

NoSleep

• This is your Uncle Jim speaking
    • Space Is The Place
« Reply #1042 on: June 28, 2020, 06:34:28 PM »
Count me in as another "Louie Armstrong"... are we really sure about this?!

The bottom line is Louis didn't like being called Louie.

touchingcloth

« Reply #1043 on: June 29, 2020, 01:27:13 AM »
Yeah, I only discovered it while watching Hello, Dolly! last weekend, and this scene in particular: https://youtu.be/hWdv5MQNImo?t=19

I've a friend called Roisin and she's definitely off the "Roe Sheen" variety, so I imagine Brett's wrong. (Ivo Graham also calls her "Roe Sheen" here, which backs us up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NA_HNG_PaY)

I’ve listened to her on a couple of podcasts recently, as well hearing her mate Greg Davies talking about her, and she’s always been roe-sheen or Rosh (with the o from toe, so not rhyming with Josh) for short.

« Reply #1044 on: June 30, 2020, 02:07:46 PM »

Gregory Torso

• blood-spattered blossom
« Reply #1045 on: June 30, 2020, 10:19:08 PM »
Feel d. stupid about this, but you can see a CaB user's fullsize avatar by right clicking on it

touchingcloth

« Reply #1046 on: June 30, 2020, 11:05:50 PM »
C&A clothing is a going concern.

Gregory Torso

« Reply #1047 on: June 30, 2020, 11:26:30 PM »
C&A clothing is a going concern.

Don't just drop this sentence on me without a full briefing.

Gregory Torso

« Reply #1048 on: June 30, 2020, 11:39:50 PM »
And by 'full briefing' I mean an underpant full of cock and balls.

touchingcloth

« Reply #1049 on: July 01, 2020, 12:22:54 AM »
Don't just drop this sentence on me without a full briefing.

I thought they’d gone bust for some reason, but I saw one today and it took me back to the days when high streets were awash with Woolworthses and Mothercares.

Tags: