Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:25:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

The TV show Queer Eye isn't a dating show in which someone goes on dates with several different people and has to work out which of them are gay. Not only is that a shit concept for a programme, it's potentially offensive and wouldn't even work.

Replies From View

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 12, 2020, 03:25:42 PM
The food mixer company was started by a bloke called Ken Wood. That pleases me for some reason.

It's like Superman-impersonator Clark Kent being derived from the inspiring Chairman-of-British-American-Tobacco-who-is-also-a-Tory MP, Kenneth Clarke.

olliebean

Quote from: icehaven on January 15, 2020, 03:36:58 PM
The TV show Queer Eye isn't a dating show in which someone goes on dates with several different people and has to work out which of them are gay. Not only is that a shit concept for a programme, it's potentially offensive and wouldn't even work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playing_It_Straight

Quote from: WikipediaPlaying It Straight is a 2004 American reality show in which one woman spent time on a ranch with a group of men in an attempt to discern which of them were gay and which of them were straight. All of the gay men pretended to be straight. The woman went on individual dates with the men, in addition to engaging in group activities with them. Over the course of the episodes, she voted to eliminate the men she believed to be gay.

At the end of the show, the woman had to choose one man. If he was straight, the man and woman would split the prize money, but if he was gay, then he would receive all the money and the woman would receive nothing.

(There was also a UK version which ran for two series - twice as many as the original US version - on Channel 4, in 2005 and 2012.)

touchingcloth

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 15, 2020, 02:25:53 PM
Task master, contestants, alphabetical order.

I thought you meant this in the sense that each series has been creeping up the alphabet. But no, you've realised that in each series the contestants sit in alphabetical order, which I had noticed before but not remembered so I had a momentary NO FUCKING WAY on reading your post.

Icehaven

Quote from: olliebean on January 15, 2020, 09:45:12 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playing_It_Straight

(There was also a UK version which ran for two series - twice as many as the original US version - on Channel 4, in 2005 and 2012.)

Ha! Bloody hell, that's probably how I got confused then. Still a shit idea isn't it.

Cerys

Ferris

The shapes in tetris are all different permutations of 4 blocks.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 16, 2020, 02:45:02 AM
The shapes in tetris are all different permutations of 4 blocks.

But is it all the different permutations? I suppose that's unknowable.

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 16, 2020, 03:17:15 AM

I'm going to go ahead and say - yes.

NoSleep

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 16, 2020, 03:17:15 AM

It isn't all the permutations but it's all the possible shapes. Rotation gets you all the permutations.

touchingcloth

The soundtrack is similarly all the different permutations of four notes.

Norton Canes

NoSleep

olliebean

NoSleep

NoSleep

Your initial pic made me wonder whether 3D Tetris was a possibility. Did it ever catch on?

Ambient Sheep

I had a great PC game back in the early 90s called (I think) Welltris.  Was a wire-frame 3D Tetris with you looking down into a square well and the pieces dropping past you into it.  Six keys to rotate in X, Y or Z either direction, plus the usual space-bar to drop.

Think Tetris crossed with Tempest and you're there.

Fake EDIT: Nope, turns out that Welltris is something different... in that one it looks like the pieces themselves are just 2D, in a 3D playfield.

Turns out that the truly 3D version I remember was called Blockout, and you can see some YouTube videos of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTkxmE2AAoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpeSH6pbio4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vOpgpvenHA

Great game, spent far too much of the early 90s playing that and/or posting on Fidonet whilst waiting for Neil to invent CaB.

gib

Dewt

The lyrics in the song that Blue Boy's "Remember Me" samples are "Remember me? I'm the one who had your babies."

That's quite good. Should toddle off to whosampled and find the original

Pseudopath

Quote from: Dewt on January 16, 2020, 09:10:21 PM
The lyrics in the song that Blue Boy's "Remember Me" samples are "Remember me? I'm the one who had your babies."

That's quite good. Should toddle off to whosampled and find the original

Here you go. Great tune.

buzby

Quote from: Dewt on January 16, 2020, 09:10:21 PM
Technically it's "Remember me? I'm the one who had your babies, I"

As a crossover from the 'dodgy samples' thread in Oscillations, the version of 'Remember Me?' everybody remembers is the 7" edit of the 'Sure Is Pure; remix of the track.  The track was originally released in 1996 on the Scattered Emotions EP on the Chicago-based label Guidance Recordings, which is interesting in itself as The Blue Boy (an alias of producer/DJ Lex Blackmore) was from Scotland. After becoming a club hit (and being featured in the first volume of San Francisco DJ Mark Farina's Mushroom Jazz mix CD series in the US), the track was licenced the following year by Zomba's dance sublabel Jive and they then commissioned Sure Is Pure, Deep Zone and Rae & Christian to produce some more polished remixes of the track for a full release (in the UK is was on their short-lived Pharm sublabel).

The Blue Boy's original mix of the track from the EP sounds more like a demo in comparison - the sample of the vocal line in particular sounds terrible, with so much background noise it sounds like it was recorded by holding a mic in front of an AM radio. None of the other vocal samples (all taken from the same version of Woman Of The Ghetto from the Live At Montreux album, so presumably from the same record) sound as poor quality as that main vocal hook. It's possible Blackmore may have been running out of memory in his sampler (due to the other long 'geng-geng' scat vocal sample) so had to sample the other vocal line at a lower sampling frequency which would exacerbate any noise on the source.

Sure Is Pure (an alias for brothers Danny Spencer and Kelvin Andrews of Candy Flip 'fame') did a good job of filtering most of the noise out on that sample on their more polished version.

The band intro from the same live version of Woman Of The Ghetto was also sampled by St Germain on the classic Rose Rouge (alongside a sample of Take Five by the Dave Brubeck Quartet). St Germain was signed to Blue Note at the time (which by then was a sublabel of EMI), so at least wouldn't have had much trouble licencing the Marlena Shaw samples.

Ferris

Dex Sawash

Dex Sawash

phantom_power

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 17, 2020, 01:40:35 AM
Five shapes in tetris tho

It is the four blocks the shapes are made up of that it is referring to though I think

NoSleep

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 17, 2020, 01:40:35 AM
Five shapes in tetris tho

Seven.

Square, pole, L-shape, reverse L-shape, z-shape, reverse z-shape, T-shape.

Sebastian Cobb

The shapes are called Tetromino's hence the name, hth.

NoSleep