Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,467
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:53:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lordofthefiles

The "Comedy" forum is the least amusing forum on the whole of CaB.

Paul Calf

Sebastian Cobb

Just the sort of English myopia I've come to expect in this place.

seepage

colleague used to make a bowl of porridge with water, plus 75g melted butter and lots of black pepper

JaDanketies

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 05, 2020, 02:35:32 PM
Who makes porridge with water?

Ugh.

I do half water and half (plant) milk. It's less fatty and it tastes fine, probably just the same as  all-milk. I also use half milk and half water in protein shakes. Saves money!

Hand Solo

Badminton.

A sport so named because sweaty men lurch and contort making strange disturbed noises in a bare echoey chamber.

olliebean

In the Red Dwarf theme song, it's not "Goldfish-ohs" that are "nibbling at my toes," it's "Goldfish shoals". Bloody Goodall couldn't even be bothered to make it rhyme properly.

Come to think of it - and this is something I've just realised, as opposed to something I've just read on another website - apart from the line "Fun fun fun in the sun sun sun," none of that damn song rhymes.

Hand Solo

Quote from: olliebean on August 06, 2020, 05:24:48 PM
In the Red Dwarf theme song, it's not "Goldfish-ohs" that are "nibbling at my toes," it's "Goldfish shoals". Bloody Goodall couldn't even be bothered to make it rhyme properly.

Come to think of it - and this is something I've just realised, as opposed to something I've just read on another website - apart from the line "Fun fun fun in the sun sun sun," none of that damn song rhymes.

That's because he's using an ABAC rhyming scheme? Only the first and third line of each stanza rhyme. Granted he rhymes Comatose with toes.. which is a bit rubbish.. but the goldfish shoals bit is quite a playful way of pre-empting/strengthening the rhyme.

It's cold outside, there's no kind of atmosphere,
I'm all alone, more or less.
Let me fly, far away from here,
Fun, fun, fun, In the sun, sun, sun.

I want to lie, shipwrecked and comatose,
Drinking fresh, mango juice,
Goldfish shoals, nibbling at my toes,
Fun, fun, fun, In the sun, sun, sun,

Captain Z

The White House is not located in the state of Washington in the North-West of the USA, and Washington DC is not the capital of this state. Washington DC is a small, stateless district on the East coast between Maryland and Virginia.

Now I know how Americans feel trying to work out the difference between England, Britian and the UK.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Captain Z on August 06, 2020, 11:52:53 PM
The White House is not located in the state of Washington in the North-West of the USA, and Washington DC is not the capital of this state. Washington DC is a small, stateless district on the East coast between Maryland and Virginia.

Now I know how Americans feel trying to work out the difference between England, Britian and the UK.

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 19, 2020, 10:51:45 PM
New York city is not the capital of New York state.

Lincoln was a republican.

I made that post after watching either Lincoln or Hamilton, but didn't note that the current capital of NY and original capital of the US are the same place: Albany.

Unlike you I knew that DC was a stateless enclave on the east coast and not related to Washington state on the west, but I used to think it was in the North, and specifically surrounded by NY state. Partly I think this is because Virginia looks like it is in the present North when during the time of the 13 colonies it was actually way to the South. It's also due to 9/11 - I knew that flights 77 and 93 were headed for the White House and Pentagon, but I had made the assumption that both buildings were in New York state.

Ferris

It was created via constitutional amendment (I think?) as a 10 mile square capital district. Maryland said "ok cool", but for reasons I forget Virginia disagreed which is why DC's boundaries are square in MD but end at the river (aka the boundary with Virginia that ultimately refused to cede territory).

Dex Sawash

I only learned Scotland wasn't on a different island from England from watching Braveheart when Mel Gibson walked to England. Ithought they had fucked that up for sure and then looked it up.

non capisco

The rude bit in the Ghostbusters theme song when Ray Parker Jr. sings "Bustin' makes me feeeeel gooood!"

Retinend

"Dickens" is like a short version of "Dickinson"

Icehaven

Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen, Jason Segel and Vince Vaughan aren't all the same person.

Icehaven

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

How can you drink anything when you're comatose?

Quote from: non capisco on August 07, 2020, 12:42:55 PM
The rude bit in the Ghostbusters theme song when Ray Parker Jr. sings "Bustin' makes me feeeeel gooood!"

This informative video really hammers that point home.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 09, 2020, 11:56:53 AM

Is parody of

Well, if (and the Family Guy one) are more a parody of the TV ad that was inspired by the original print ad. Needless to say, the UK version of the ad (starring Bauhaus' Peter Murphy) was much cooler, right down to the music and tagline. There was a corresponding videotape version of the ad too (I'm surprised Murphy didn't end up blind with all those lasers flying about).

The UK ads were directed by Howard Guard, who at the time was a partner in Ridley & Tony Scott's firm RSA. He also directed the long running Turkish Delight 'Shifting Sands' advert (14 years, an industry record), The first in the series of  Asda advert to use Fairground Attaction's 'Perfect', Roxy Music's Avalon video and Bauhaus' video for She's In Parties (as a favour to Murphy - he even paid for it himself, as Beggars Banquest couldn't afford him). He also suggested Bauhaus to Tony Scott when he was looking for a band for the nightclub scene in The Hunger.

touchingcloth

Annie Labuntur

This week's Annual Girls-Jumping-in-the-Air Day

Icehaven

When making poppadoms you don't have to fry them in one piece, they can be broken in half or quarters or whatever beforehand, they're much easier to manage like this too.

Dusty Substance

The bloke who directed Tropic Thunder and his father who played George Costanza's Dad have the same first names as the Ben And Jerry ice cream guys.

Marner and Me

Quote from: icehaven on August 11, 2020, 01:10:57 PM
When making poppadoms you don't have to fry them in one piece, they can be broken in half or quarters or whatever beforehand, they're much easier to manage like this too.
You can also microwave them.

Retinend

Quote from: Dusty Substance on August 12, 2020, 04:16:02 PM
The bloke who directed Tropic Thunder and his father who played George Costanza's Dad have the same first names as the Ben And Jerry ice cream guys.

Obvious.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Retinend on August 12, 2020, 06:39:53 PM
Obvious.

I think it is. I know that the actor who played George's dad is called Jerry mainly by being more familiar with his son Ben, but I'd never connected the dots.