Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,471
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:12:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Quote from: mjwilson on January 14, 2020, 09:55:06 PM
Brandon Stark, known as Bran,
His uncle Brandon Stark,
Big fan of legendary figure Bran Stark (the builder)

Too many Bran Starks
spider-man theme tune considers rewrite

Jerzy Bondov

Clearing four lines at once is a 'Tetris' hth as well

Quote from: buzby on January 16, 2020, 10:43:04 PM
The band intro from the same live version of Woman Of The Ghetto was also sampled by St Germain on the classic Rose Rouge (alongside a sample of Take Five by the Dave Brubeck Quartet). St Germain was signed to Blue Note at the time (which by then was a sublabel of EMI), so at least wouldn't have had much trouble licencing the Marlena Shaw samples.

I never knew that, nice spot. The St Germain track is a favourite of mine.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 17, 2020, 11:35:07 AM
The shapes are called Tetromino's hence the name, hth.

Yeah, when I was a kid my cousin had a little puzzle called "Tetrominos" which was a set of the shapes in yellow, that had to be fitted correctly into a red rectangular tray.  Something like that, anyway.

Replies From View

Quote from: gib on January 16, 2020, 08:25:52 PM
tetra = four

Tell that to the twats who say "quadrilogy".  "There was no pre-existing word for it!" they insist.  Tell them or grave them, thank you.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Replies From View on January 18, 2020, 01:05:30 PM
Tell that to the twats who say "quadrilogy".  "There was no pre-existing word for it!" they insist.  Tell them or grave them, thank you.

Yeah...it should really be a "tetralogy" as in the Tetralogy of Fallot (one for the congenital heart defect fans there).

NoSleep

Replies From View

olliebean

Quote from: Pseudopath on January 18, 2020, 01:08:42 PM
Yeah...it should really be a "tetralogy" as in the Tetralogy of Fallot (one for the congenital heart defect fans there).

But "trilogy" is "tri" like "triangle," so four should be a "squalogy," yeah? Or maybe a "rectalogy"...

touchingcloth

Replies From View

petril

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 18, 2020, 04:36:44 PM
I'm tetrasexual - I only fuck cartons.

same here, but I only fuck offensive campaigns by the Viet Cong

DrGreggles

Christopher Lloyd was in 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?'.

imitationleather

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 18, 2020, 10:55:16 PM
Christopher Lloyd was in 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?'.

Yep I'd also not realised this.

touchingcloth

The numbers on Scrabble tiles are not assigned randomly.

Quote from: imitationleather on January 18, 2020, 10:58:59 PM

How did you miss it? He plays Bob Hoskins.

beanheadmcginty

Legendary Channel 4 Teletext quizmaster Bamber Boozler of "Bamboozle" fame's first name is a tribute to legendary University Challenge quizmaster Bamber Gascoigne.

imitationleather

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 19, 2020, 12:29:12 AM
Legendary Channel 4 Teletext quizmaster Bamber Boozler of "Bamboozle" fame's first name is a tribute to legendary University Challenge quizmaster Bamber Gascoigne.

touchingcloth

Fuck me, I'd forgotten that I'd forgotten Bamboozle.

Did anyone else used to feel that Bamboozle and Teletext in general was something secret and unknown? I did, I can't remember my school peers ever talking about it so wherever I found out about it from it seemed like some magic box.

You's lot are too young, Telextext was popular in ther 80s for TV listings and holidays (booked it, packed it, fucked off).

I remember being excited to get home and check the Top 40 on Tuesdays after school when the charts were released.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 19, 2020, 01:36:14 AM
You's lot are too young, Telextext was popular in ther 80s for TV listings and holidays (booked it, packed it, fucked off).

I remember being excited to get home and check the Top 40 on Tuesdays after school when the charts were released.

I remember the holidays and the listings, but somehow anything interactive seemed secret.

Ferris

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 19, 2020, 01:36:14 AM

I had a record reviewed on teletext. 8/10. Still have a photo of the review.

My guitar work was described as "smouldering". Ok cheers

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 19, 2020, 01:38:15 AM
I remember the holidays and the listings, but somehow anything interactive seemed secret.

Sorry to say it, but you may have indirectly outed yourself as a rich moneybags flashcunt there.
The reason your peers didn't wax lyrical about the interactivity of Teletext is because it wasn't interactive for them (apart from the reveal button).
In order to play Bamboozle and other things of that ilk, you needed a posh TV equipped with Fastext (the coloured buttons).
We never had it growing up, which is why I still so clearly remember the sad yet thrilling day I inherited my dead grandad's Fastext-enabled Sony Trinitron in the second year of university and I could finally fulfil my childhood dream of actually being able to play and win Bamboozle. We'd all dash home from lectures at lunchtime to play it after that.

If anybody wants a genuine snap of Bamber Boozler surfing without a top on, PM me.

olliebean

Everyone I watched on TV when I was a teenager is now old or dead.

Quote from: olliebean on January 19, 2020, 10:15:47 AM
Everyone I watched on TV when I was a teenager is now old peado or dead peado.

FTFY

touchingcloth

Bruce Lee was an American.

EDIT: And to follow on from that, Brandon Lee wasn't killed by a blank round in the way I'd assumed - a blank going off in too close proximity - but by a bullet lodged in the gun's barrel being ejected by a blank round. So he got properly shot by a slightly less powerful bullet, rather than fake shot with a more powerful than usual blank, which is the idea I've had in my mind for god knows how many years.

imitationleather

Since all those self-aggrandising edit glitch removal accounts are apparently doing something more important I guess I'll have to step in.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 19, 2020, 08:07:40 PM
Bruce Lee was an American.

EDIT: And to follow on from that, Brandon Lee wasn't killed by a blank round in the way I'd assumed - a blank going off in too close proximity - but by a bullet lodged in the gun's barrel being ejected by a blank round. So he got properly shot by a slightly less powerful bullet, rather than fake shot with a more powerful than usual blank, which is the idea I've had in my mind for god knows how many years.

Did your school have a completely incorrect rumour about how Bruce Lee died?

Replies From View

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 19, 2020, 12:29:12 AM

Actually Bamber Gascoigne changed his name by deed poll in tribute to his favourite Teletext game.  Prior to the 90s his name was Edward Graveshandy.