Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,400
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:16:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Also you can wipe your arse on kitchen roll if you run out of bog roll.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 09, 2020, 09:39:33 PM
Isn't kitchen roll made from farmed trees and recycled stuff? It's probably worse using killowatts of electricity to hot/boil wash teatowels.

We've got reusable nappies and we don't even hot wash them unless they've got actual shit all over them

teatowels go in with the not-too-shitty nappies on a 40 degree wash with some sensitive skin detergent

kalowski

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 09, 2020, 10:04:07 PM
We've got reusable nappies and we don't even hot wash them unless they've got actual shit all over them

teatowels go in with the not-too-shitty nappies on a 40 degree wash with some sensitive skin detergent

I always do my teatowels on 60. The white ones are still discoloured and have greasy marks on them, and the black ones have red patches where they've caught the bleach.

Bag of shite.

touchingcloth

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 09, 2020, 10:04:07 PM

We don't have nappies, and the tea towels which have been used for cleaning rather than drying just go in a normal warm colours wash.

Sebastian Cobb

touchingcloth

All of them go in at 40, except some old linen things which go in with the whites for no particular reason.

Also sick of shitty supermarket sponges, so we've started cleaning the dishes with some old cut up terry cloth, and they get washed with the colours.

This is all in service of a slightly obsessive and arguably ultimately futile effort to reduce plastic waste and single use things.

The Mollusk

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 09, 2020, 10:20:21 PM
This is all in service of a slightly obsessive and arguably ultimately futile effort to reduce plastic waste and single use things.

Nah mate you're doing good work, nowt arguable about it. What's the alternative, not trying? Yeah, like those cunts are winning.

touchingcloth

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 09, 2020, 10:23:41 PM
Nah mate you're doing good work, nowt arguable about it. What's the alternative, not trying? Yeah, like those cunts are winning.

I think it's good mental discipline if nothing else, plus some things are definitely cheaper and it all means fewer trips to the bins (we don't have collections from the house here so have to walk to the recycling bins).

It's a little annoying when you have to make trade offs here and there. We found recycled bog roll which came in recycled paper packaging rather than plastic, but we had to get it shipped quite far and figured it's better to buy more locally recycled paper in plastic.

One thing I'm dead pleased with finding are toothpaste tablets which you chew up before brushing, as they ship in paper rather than those plasticised foil monstrosities.

olliebean

Quote from: NoSleep on September 09, 2020, 04:30:32 PM
According to this site there are 3904 Movies & 1946 TV series on Netflix UK:

https://www.finder.com/uk/netflix-tv-shows
https://www.finder.com/uk/netflix-movies

It's a pity these other sites are not much better for browsing the content.

EDIT: and it's out of date. I saw Harold and Maude was apparently available, but it isn't.
EDIT: posted 2015

6,395 titles in total according to https://uk.newonnetflix.info/stats. It doesn't break it down into movies and TV shows, but it does have break-downs according to genre, release year, and IMDB rating.

Meanwhile, https://usa.newonnetflix.info/stats shows only 5,969 titles on US Netflix, which surprised me - really expected that figure to outnumber the UK one.

olliebean

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 09, 2020, 10:01:42 PM

You shouldn't flush it, though - it doesn't break down the way bog roll does, and could clog the pipes.

Sebastian Cobb

I think it's important to know when your gestures are futile and you're just wasting time.

It's like those zero waste places, I'm sure they just encourage people to drive to them with lots of cumbersome tupperware and bottles, when taking the plastic waste of some items on the chin and getting delivery (vastly more efficient than going yourself) plus bulk buying some things (buy the same gallon jug of washing up liquid they have in their dispensers) and refilling at home and you'll be doing about as well.

Given we're all on scant amounts of borrowed time, going out of your way to do very tedious tasks for very little gain can be viewed as a very subtle form of suicide.

This isn't a justification to do nothing though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: olliebean on September 09, 2020, 10:42:38 PM
You shouldn't flush it, though - it doesn't break down the way bog roll does, and could clog the pipes.

As long as you use small scraps rather than massive wads, it's generally fine.

JaDanketies

I'm gonna hate it when me and my offspring die of climate change despite all the vegan meals and public transport I took

touchingcloth

Quote from: olliebean on September 09, 2020, 10:41:12 PM
6,395 titles in total according to https://uk.newonnetflix.info/stats. It doesn't break it down into movies and TV shows, but it does have break-downs according to genre, release year, and IMDB rating.

Meanwhile, https://usa.newonnetflix.info/stats shows only 5,969 titles on US Netflix, which surprised me - really expected that figure to outnumber the UK one.

Could it that there are more streaming services with exclusivity on things in the US? When I tune into US talk shows or podcasts they always seem to be name dropping the latest platform, so I think we have fewer of them in the UK with the same number of titles to go round.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 09, 2020, 11:05:11 PM
Could it that there are more streaming services with exclusivity on things in the US? When I tune into US talk shows or podcasts they always seem to be name dropping the latest platform, so I think we have fewer of them in the UK with the same number of titles to go round.

I think fragmentation is even worse in the US than here, there's already the likes of Hulu and Netflix now Disney are on the scene but now the cable operators are trying to muscle in too, then there's HBO as well.

The same happens in the UK bit, but it's basically split between netflix/amazon and Now Tv (Comcast - but Sky atlantic basically is HBO and that's included).

This ignores smaller niche stuff like mubi/bfi/tubi/shudder which all exist or have equivalents either side of the pond.

touchingcloth

On zero waste places, every time I've been to one of those scoopy shops I've always assumed the bins of Coco Pops were filled by emptying a load of normal sized boxes from Tesco's.

We buy all our cleaning products in 5-25l bottles and refill smaller ones from them. I'd love it if there was some day the option - or a mandate - for supermarkets only selling some liquids that way with customers bringing their own containers. Here in Portugal a lot of people buy all of their drinking water bottled, and a company has sprung up where you buy a bottle for life type thing which you can fill from their machine in store, then if you bring your bottles back for refills it's something like 3 cents a litre rather than more like 15. We have potable tap water (from a well then through a UV filter), but I'd totally use those refill things if I needed to go bottled.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 09, 2020, 10:46:42 PM
As long as you use small scraps rather than massive wads, it's generally fine.

Having a septic tank and no plumbing which is the responsibility of the council or a utility company makes you quite paranoid about what goes down the drain. We had to get a drain clearing company round recently to deal with a blockage which turned out to be mostly undissolved laundry detergent.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 09, 2020, 11:17:00 PM

We buy all our cleaning products in 5-25l bottles and refill smaller ones from them. I'd love it if there was some day the option - or a mandate - for supermarkets only selling some liquids that way with customers bringing their own containers.

I think a bottle exchange would be better, as it works with drinks in some places.

As I said, zero waste stores potentially push people out of delivery which is often far more environmentally friendly.

Similarly plastic waste is obviously bad, but it's worth noting part of the reason it became so ubiquitous is because it cut down on fuel required to move things around, going back to glass coke bottles everywhere without localised distribution could be far worse.

touchingcloth

Most of our cleaning products come delivered in bulk packaging from as few different suppliers as possible. The art is trying to get as many of the bulk dispensers to finish at the same time as possible so you're placing as few orders as you can.

I'm most pleased with things like our recycled washing up rags, as that stops an old thing going to the bin, saves on shipping and plastic for the sponges, and they do as good a job for most stuff. WIN WIN

Menu

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 09, 2020, 12:53:17 PM
and while we're here, this site will tell you what service a given film/prog is on.
http://justwatch.com

Mate, that's amazing. Thanks.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 09, 2020, 10:01:42 PM

It's actually much better than bog roll, but you shouldn't flush it.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 09, 2020, 10:45:15 PM
It's like those zero waste places, I'm sure they just encourage people to drive to them with lots of cumbersome tupperware and bottles, when taking the plastic waste of some items on the chin and getting delivery (vastly more efficient than going yourself) plus bulk buying some things (buy the same gallon jug of washing up liquid they have in their dispensers) and refilling at home and you'll be doing about as well.
It's better to buy in bulk yourself, drive to CostCo in the car club electric car or whatever, but bulk buying has always been a solution for the rich to save even more money, useless for those without money, transport, or storage space. Sadly I don't think zero waste places cater particularly for the poor/those who can't buy in bulk either, but maybe I'm being unfair.

The other side is that buying expensive storage containers for your zero waste is bad. Keep and reuse empty jars or tubs or bottles, don't buy special artisan things. People love to be virtuous by spending huge amounts of money on eco-friendly reusable products that they don't need and often don't reuse. I get the impression that people are ashamed to go into a zero-waste store with a big plastic bottle that says Unilever on the side, when that's more environmentally friendly than taking £30 artisan ceramic flask air-freighted from Mozambique.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 09, 2020, 10:30:47 PM
We found recycled bog roll which came in recycled paper packaging rather than plastic, but we had to get it shipped quite far and figured it's better to buy more locally recycled paper in plastic.

Seeing as you're committed, wouldn't one of these allow you to reduce consumption or potentially sack it off entirely?

they do kits on ebay for a tenner.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 11, 2020, 11:35:25 AM
The other side is that buying expensive storage containers for your zero waste is bad.

I do that anyway, I store dry stuff like rice in old big saurkraut jars etc. Keep old spice pots and jars to keep the better value rajah whole spices in. The recycling here is crap but I end up keeping all the glass for storing other stuff anyway.

What I could do with are some good glass tupperware things for the freezer as the plastic ones tend to go manky if you microwave them.

I'm pretty bad at using sandwich bags for everything in the freezer or sometimes using them to season stuff by putting food in them and shaking the fuck out of it.

olliebean

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 11, 2020, 11:25:28 AM
It's actually much better than bog roll, but you shouldn't flush it.

Not for my arse it isn't, unless you can get it with aloe.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 11, 2020, 11:38:03 AM
Seeing as you're committed, wouldn't one of these allow you to reduce consumption or potentially sack it off entirely?

We have a bidet which I am trying to get to grips with, so maybe one day I will eschew paper altogether.

I've stopped using spray/roll on deodorants and swapped it for a crystal thing that you rub on your pits instead. I'm sceptical of that kind of thing at the best of times and doubly so when you drop CRYSTALS into the mix, but the science/theory seemed to check out pre-purchase and I don't think I stink. However my partner and I switched at the same time so we might just be getting used to it.

Sebastian Cobb

I've got one of them after you mentioned it.

I think it works, mostly, lockdown has disrupted my routine enough that I sometimes don't shower and as a result forget and then I find my t-shirt smells which it doesn't if I use it.

Although I caught a faint whiff of something when I used it and cycled into work so perhaps it's not that good if you do anything strenuous.

Mine was a 60g stick, I've had it months and it's only starting to look a little misshapen as the top has dissolved.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60g-Natural-Rhinestone-Deodorant-Alum-Stick-Body-Odor-Remover-Antiperspirant/233707883669?hash=item366a134c95:g:oCwAAOSw741fWHq1

touchingcloth

They're kind of miraculous, so it's good to hear that someone else outside of our stinky household finds the same. The first few weeks I used it I would obsessively rub my fingers on my pits to see if I could detect a whiff, but like you say it only seems to be if you do something strenuous that the stench starts to become present.

I actually find how well I clean my pits is more of a factor, and if I can smell myself after a shower then the crystal does nothing to mask it. I think spray ons help out there because they just outcompete the smell of sweat, whereas the crystal seems to pause your armpits at their present level of stink for an extended period.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 11, 2020, 11:38:03 AM

Bum gun. Became convinced of the superiority of these over all other forms of rectal cleansing in a visit to South-East Asia. They're fucking brilliant.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 11, 2020, 02:58:34 PM
They're kind of miraculous, so it's good to hear that someone else outside of our stinky household finds the same. The first few weeks I used it I would obsessively rub my fingers on my pits to see if I could detect a whiff, but like you say it only seems to be if you do something strenuous that the stench starts to become present.

I actually find how well I clean my pits is more of a factor, and if I can smell myself after a shower then the crystal does nothing to mask it. I think spray ons help out there because they just outcompete the smell of sweat, whereas the crystal seems to pause your armpits at their present level of stink for an extended period.

Yes and once any of it gets in your clothes it's game over.

I think I can wear my clothes for slightly less time, which isn't normally a problem if I'm at work or seeing people as I'd change shirts/t-shirts daily anyway. Just a bit more noticeable now I'm an anchorite and cutting about in turmeric-stained shit that should rightfully be demoted to being an oil-checking rag.