Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:55:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 11, 2020, 02:59:00 PM
Bum gun. Became convinced of the superiority of these over all other forms of rectal cleansing in a visit to South-East Asia. They're fucking brilliant.

I want a go but does it not leave you wandering around with a soggy arse?

Once while pissed at a christmas do I went for a dump in a club toilet that had no bogroll, and a toilet attendant (so I couldn't use my socks or pants and ditch them) and in my panic flushed the bog and washed my arse with the (now clean) water in the shit-pan and definitely had a soggy bum.

ProvanFan

popcorn

Honeycomb, as in the stuff in Crunchie bars, has no honey in it.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 11, 2020, 02:47:44 PM
I've got one of them after you mentioned it.

Mine was a 60g stick, I've had it months and it's only starting to look a little misshapen as the top has dissolved.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60g-Natural-Rhinestone-Deodorant-Alum-Stick-Body-Odor-Remover-Antiperspirant/233707883669?hash=item366a134c95:g:oCwAAOSw741fWHq1

Ah, but does it work on your taint when that needs, you know, a bit of a freshen up?

touchingcloth

touchingcloth

Joseph Fiennes was in Shakespeare in Love and Elizabeth in the same year, 1998. He wore hose for a year and then never did anything else ever.

steve98

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 12, 2020, 10:10:12 PM
Joseph Fiennes was in Shakespeare in Love and Elizabeth in the same year, 1998. He wore hose for a year and then never did anything else ever.

He did this: Man To Man, but it was never properly released (I dunno why, but it's a pity, cos I'm in it)

touchingcloth

The flecks of red in a BIR pilau rice? Food colouring.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: steve98 on September 13, 2020, 05:44:27 PM
He did this: Man To Man, but it was never properly released (I dunno why, but it's a pity, cos I'm in it)

YOU'RE Kristin Scott-Thomas?

olliebean

The Greek letters Omicron and Omega are, respectively, "O micron" and "O mega" - literally, "small O" and "big O". So called because Omicron represents a short "O" sound, and Omega represents a long "O" sound.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: olliebean on September 13, 2020, 09:03:26 PM
The Greek letters Omicron and Omega are, respectively, "O micron" and "O mega" - literally, "small O" and "big O". So called because Omicron represents a short "O" sound, and Omega represents a long "O" sound.

One person's obvs thing is another's hat well fucked

NoSleep

touchingcloth

touchingcloth

Keeping on the Greek theme, a Hippodrome like what some theatres are called is what the Greeks used to call racing stadiums for chariots - hippos like a horse, innit.

From what I can tell it was adopted by theatres to imply a sense of scale and a large number of seats, a bit like "Titanic" being used by some people to describe the state of my penis b

I've only today noticed (and only then because it was mentioned on a podcast) that Alvin and Ziggy have the same surname.

kalowski

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on September 14, 2020, 01:54:43 PM
I've only today noticed (and only then because it was mentioned on a podcast) that Alvin and Ziggy have the same surname.
Ziggy and the Chipmunks?

Dunno. I just heard someone say that they share a surname but can't remember what it was. If we're talking about that era I was more of a Glitter fan anyway.

NoSleep

MojoJojo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 11, 2020, 02:47:44 PM
Although I caught a faint whiff of something when I used it and cycled into work so perhaps it's not that good if you do anything strenuous.

It's somehow appropriate that a deodorant crystal only works if you don't sweat.

SpiderChrist

JaDanketies

The Belcher surname on Bob's Burgers is a joke. It means 'someone who belches'.

buzby

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 14, 2020, 01:52:39 PM
Keeping on the Greek theme, a Hippodrome like what some theatres are called is what the Greeks used to call racing stadiums for chariots - hippos like a horse, innit.

From what I can tell it was adopted by theatres to imply a sense of scale and a large number of seats, a bit like "Titanic" being used by some people to describe the state of my penis b
Most of the theatres that were called Hippodromes date from the turn of the 20th century and were built by the competing promoters Thomas Barrasford and Moss Empires (the conglomeration of Edward Moss, Oswald Stroll and Richard Thornton's theatre chains). They were usually designed as multi-use venues (or were refurbished existing circus venues, such as those run by Charles Hengler) to house circuses, ice skating and aquatic shows as well as regular theatre, variety and music hall shows, and as such had stages that were actually a circus ring (the floor of which could usually be lowered to convert it to a water tank) with the seats arranged around them, hence the 'hippodrome' name, It was only later on that they were converted to normal theatres.
http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/Archive/Jan2003/Hippodromes.htm
There are only two surviving 'hippodrome' style ring stage venues left - the Blackpool Tower Circus and the Great Yarmouth Hippodrome

Quote from: buzby on September 15, 2020, 11:20:03 AM
Most of the theatres that were called Hippodromes date from the turn of the 20th century and were built by the competing promoters Thomas Barrasford and Moss Empires (the conglomeration of Edward Moss, Oswald Stroll and Richard Thornton's theatre chains). They were usually designed as multi-use venues (or were refurbished existing circus venues, such as those run by Charles Hengler) to house circuses, ice skating and aquatic shows as well as regular theatre, variety and music hall shows, and as such had stages that were actually a circus ring (the floor of which could usually be lowered to convert it to a water tank) with the seats arranged around them, hence the 'hippodrome' name, It was only later on that they were converted to normal theatres.

There are only two surviving 'hippodrome' style ring stage venues left - the Blackpool Tower Circus and the Great Yarmouth Hippodrome
Interesting, thanks.  Buzby,  how come you know everything?!

touchingcloth

Quote from: buzby on September 15, 2020, 11:20:03 AM

Ta. I knew the Bristol Hippodrome had (and I think still has) a water tank under the stage, but having attended it I couldn't see that it was ever usable for horse shows as it feels like a purpose-built proscenium arch theatre, when in my mind an animal show would work better in the round like a circus big top. Maybe they never routinely presented horse shows in that particular venue, but the aquatics side of things was close enough that the Hippodrome name suggested the kinds of show to expect to a 19th Century audience, rather than solely the size of the place like what I said.

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on September 16, 2020, 11:44:17 AM

It's his job. You know google works by a Buzy API, right?

buzby

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on September 16, 2020, 11:44:17 AM
I don't know everything, but I did know about the Liverpool Hippodrome, even though by the time I was born it had been long closed. It had originally been built by Charles Hengler to house his Grand Cirque before being taken over by Thomas Barrasford and refurbished into the Royal Hippodrome. It was eventually converted into a cinema in the 1930s and closed in 1970. It was demolished in 1980 but the ground level facade was still there as a wall for the builder's merchants that took over the site until the early 90s.

The bus we used to get into town went past it, so I had asked my dad what it was and he told me it's history. It then also made sense that the pub that had been built nearby for the new Ratcliffe council estate in the 1970s had been named Hengler's Circus (it would too later be renamed The Hippodrome, before being demolished to make way for an NHS Walk-In Centre).

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 16, 2020, 01:26:56 PM
Ta. I knew the Bristol Hippodrome had (and I think still has) a water tank under the stage, but having attended it I couldn't see that it was ever usable for horse shows as it feels like a purpose-built proscenium arch theatre, when in my mind an animal show would work better in the round like a circus big top. Maybe they never routinely presented horse shows in that particular venue, but the aquatics side of things was close enough that the Hippodrome name suggested the kinds of show to expect to a 19th Century audience, rather than solely the size of the place like what I said.
The page on that site for the Bristol Hippodrome says it was built with ramps at the sides of the stage for horses, and it opened on the 16th of December 1912 with a variety bill that included a melodrama called 'The Sands O' Dee' which was a water spectacular featuring diving horses.

It was one of the last of the Hippodrome theatres built, and by 1911 circus shows were out of fashion so the later Hippodromes were built with more normal proscenium stages and seating rather than ring stages with seating in the round.

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 16, 2020, 01:26:56 PM

It's his job. You know google works by a Buzy API, right?

Ha.  I suspect he's probably banned from all quiz machines everywhere.