Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:04:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

sirhenry

A lump of muscovado sugar improves coffee far better than a similarly-coloured and -packaged lump of raisins.

NoSleep

Try molasses instead (the syrupy form, not the granules). I think the easiest place to find molasses is Holland & Barrett (or well stocked independent health store); tends not to be available in supermarkets.

sirhenry

I wasn't going for something different and unusual, just fumbling around in the half-light at 5 this morning and the two packets were next to each other...
Plus straight molasses doesn't give the sugar hit that coffee at 5am cries out for. And jaggery, the other locally-available sugar substitute, is just weird in coffee. Like the dreaded white sugar but somehow wrong.

NoSleep

I wouldn't have thought of molasses as different and unusual compared to muscovado sugar. More like the flavour dialled up a couple of extra notches in the same direction that muscovado was going anyway.

sirhenry

Fair enough. But dialling up the flavour a bit and the sweetness down just doesn't seem right for the first cup of the day. And I don't take any sweetener in any after that.
I'll stick to using molasses in christmas cakes (thankfully it keeps for years).

JaDanketies

Interested in this molasses and coffee hybrid. We bought it for the wee'un as it's got iron in it, although giving kids any kind of syrup is a botulism risk. It looks like professor Google says that you can give them molasses earlier than you can give them honey.

I remember enjoying it on my porridge as a child, but I tried it as an adult and it ruined it. Strange that there is a food I would like as a kid and not as an adult, usually it's the other way around.

JaDanketies

On a related note - probably true about molasses but I first heard it about honey - a teaspoon of honey has more sugar in it than a teaspoon of sugar.

Ferris

JaDanketies

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 17, 2020, 03:51:57 PM
Molasses is just "treacle" in the UK, no?

I think they're made slightly differently. Molasses is a bit bitter-tasting.

MojoJojo

Molasses is dark or black treacle in British English - but it's not used very much here, so molasses is becoming the more used term.

NoSleep

Molasses is a by-product of refining sugar (what's left over after you make white sugar). Has a powerful flavour compared to sugar, but I'm puzzled by this idea that it isn't sweet enough and that it tastes bitter. I recognise it as the most significant taste present in liquorice (moreso than the liquorice element).

Tastes good in hot chocolate too. Also it's the most nutritious sweetener (better than honey in this matter). A teaspoon to tablespoon's worth is good as a way to feed the yeast in breadmaking as well as kicking the flavour up a notch.

touchingcloth

Putting molasses in a cup of coffee? Fucking sissies, don't you just boil up some molasses and bung a spoon of Maxwell House in? Fucking state of you, what would your grandads say if they saw you putting a little bit of molasses in a normal mug of coffee?

Sebastian Cobb

2 tblsp coconut oil and 1tbsp unsalted butter is what you want in a coffee. You'll need to blend it otherwise it'll be like an oil-slick but it's a magic solution, with the coffee giving you a boot up the arse and the oils giving you a slow burn.

touchingcloth

You know what you've done there, don't you? What you've done is you've confused coffee, right - the drink - with a Thai curry, haven't you?

JaDanketies

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 17, 2020, 06:45:24 PM
2 tblsp coconut oil and 1tbsp unsalted butter is what you want in a coffee. You'll need to blend it otherwise it'll be like an oil-slick but it's a magic solution, with the coffee giving you a boot up the arse and the oils giving you a slow burn.

I'm already concerned about my BMI thanks

Sebastian Cobb

It made my shits greasier, so I think it just passes through.

SpiderChrist

That everything is shit, we're all fucked, and there's no point in pretending otherwise or trying to do anything about it.

touchingcloth

Hans Zimmer barely bothered to alter his Gladiator Coliseum theme before using it as the main theme for Pirates.

And Russel Crowe has been given the haircut of a Manchester scally in the film.

JaDanketies

That coffee and molasses thing is very nice, thanks. I don't usually have sugar or sweeteners in my coffee but the burnt taste of molasses complements filter coffee very well. :)

Quote from: SpiderChrist on September 17, 2020, 07:40:56 PM
That everything is shit, we're all fucked, and there's no point in pretending otherwise or trying to do anything about it.

That might be true, but have you ever tried molasses in your coffee?

Dex Sawash

Just had the molearses in coffee and it was shit. Was 2 years out of date though.

NoSleep

I don't think being out of date would affect it much. Unless it was actual mole arses, which start to honk three days after opening the jar. You likely put too much in.

NoSleep

Dr Rock

This isn't the right thread but I'm putting it here because it's more convenient than looking for that other thread.

Did you know that technically there is no such colour as brown? Don't believe it, look in the colour spectrum, where's brown? Not there is it? All brown is, right, is dark orange.

NoSleep

I remember from early painting lessons that you could mix black and red to get brown.

Dr Rock

JaDanketies

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 18, 2020, 01:34:01 PM
This isn't the right thread but I'm putting it here because it's more convenient than looking for that other thread.

Did you know that technically there is no such colour as brown? Don't believe it, look in the colour spectrum, where's brown? Not there is it? All brown is, right, is dark orange.

they didn't even have a name for orange a few hundred years ago, they called it yellowy-red. There are also a bunch of cultures that think that the colours blue and green are the same word and this is also the case for some greens and yellows.

This reminds me of a book I read that suggested that people thought their internal narrative was God until surprisingly late on in civilisation. God told them what to do, and they did it.

Which also reminds me that human-looking people have been wandering around for about 2 million years, and for 1.5 million of these years, we just kept making the same stone axe over and over again. There was not the level of culture where you build upon the successes of your ancestors, but they were very modern-human-like in other respects.

NoSleep

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 18, 2020, 01:41:37 PM
Paint and light have different rules. You can get black paint, but black isn't a proper colour either (no offense).

Just using RGB will yield a brown with G & B set to "0" and R at a lowish setting.

Fr.Bigley

When you get Crohn's disease, they sew up your arsehole. I hope I don't get it because i'll have nothing to talk out of.