Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:42:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I don't think every crohns sufferer ends up on the bag. Not right away anyway.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 18, 2020, 03:50:24 PM
I don't think every crohns sufferer ends up on the bag. Not right away anyway.

That's a relief. can't imagine it to be fair. looks horrendous. never liked Dynamo for the craft (hate magic) but seems like a lovely lad and it's obviously ravaged him.

JaDanketies

I know a guy with Crohn's. Weed does some incredible stuff for him, better than anything that a doctor can prescribe. But it's illegal.

touchingcloth

Gmail search understands an exclamation point for a "not", so I can do "in:unread !in:inbox" to save clicking into and clearing out each subfolder separately.

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 18, 2020, 06:23:33 PM
Gmail search understands an exclamation point for a "not", so I can do "in:unread !in:inbox" to save clicking into and clearing out each subfolder separately.

How is this, in any way, obvious?

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 18, 2020, 04:10:55 PM
I know a guy with Crohn's. Weed does some incredible stuff for him, better than anything that a doctor can prescribe. But it's illegal.

I hear it's pretty good for a lot of "Chronic" conditions.

Paul Calf

Fr.Bigley

Paul Calf

kittens

Fr.Bigley

Chris Rhea has a cousin in Caerphilly called Dai.

JaDanketies

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 18, 2020, 06:23:33 PM

I'm sure you know that emails to all the following email addresses get sent to the same inbox:

jadanketies@gmail.com
ja.dank.eties@gmail.com
ja.dank.eties@googlemail.com
jadanketies+tescoclubcard@gmail.com
jadanketies+stuffaboutmycar@gmail.com
and more.

This means:

You can use the same inbox to sign up for a website multiple times
You can set up filters for emails that are sent from particular organisations, or groups of organisations.
And you can even tell which arsehole company has sold on your email address.

I had a colleague who set up the website hisname.co.uk and then he would give his email address as tesco@hisname.co.uk, amazon@hisname.co.uk, all of which forward to the same email address, which is even neater.

I think my number one trick about computers though is - everyone ought to know that you press ctrl+c to copy and ctrl+v to paste. However it was very recently that I learned that ctrl+shift+v pastes and strips the formatting from the text you copied, so it instead uses the same formatting as the surrounding text on the page.

sirhenry

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 18, 2020, 01:49:14 PM
This reminds me of a book I read that suggested that people thought their internal narrative was God until surprisingly late on in civilisation. God told them what to do, and they did it.
That would be the book with my all-time favourite title: The Origin of Consciousness and the Rise of the Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes - a wonderful thought experiment that, it turns out, is still being argued about.

The basic idea is that the two halves of the brain only started to communicate with each other fully with the development of the the corpus callosum, which Jaynes posits only developed around 3000 years ago. Before that the subconscious made itself known through the internal voice that people assumed was really external, and so must come from the gods. He also suggests that leaders/commanders/bosses/owners voices had the same effect and so could control their minions more effectively.

I have no idea how the theory has survived the last 40 years since I read it, but the Psychology student I borrowed it from still hadn't got round to reading it last time I saw her 3 years ago. But I'll tell you what I told her - read it; it is quite wonderful.

NoSleep

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on September 18, 2020, 03:57:05 PM
That's a relief. can't imagine it to be fair. looks horrendous. never liked Dynamo for the craft (hate magic) but seems like a lovely lad and it's obviously ravaged him.

Just thought I'd add that I know two people who have crohns who are in their forties and are still bag free. It's unpleasant for sure but doesn't always end up that way.

Also, I had sex with one of them on December 31st 2000, and she's now a racist, but again, that's not the crohns fault (or mine, probably).

touchingcloth

Quote from: Special K on September 19, 2020, 06:44:05 AM
How is this, in any way, obvious?

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 19, 2020, 11:48:53 AM
Because '!' Is a negator.

Like Paul says, it's common in code (and writing of formal logic) for "!" to mean "not". I'd tried writing "not in:inbox" before on the assumption that that would be the sensible thing to for an email client where more people would understand the word than the symbol. Go figure!!!!!

kalowski

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 19, 2020, 12:25:21 PM

Also, I had sex with one of them on December 31st 2000, and she's now a racist, but again, that's not the crohns fault (or mine, probably).
I'm not so sure. The signs are all there.

Sebastian Cobb

I like the idea that SMBH has some sort of Midas quality that turns people into racists when he touches them with his willy.

studpuppet

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 19, 2020, 02:11:26 PM
I like the idea that SMBH has some sort of Midas quality that turns people into racists when he touches them with his willy.

That's a Wimblewrong shot just asking to be made.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 19, 2020, 02:11:26 PM

I feel we need to run an experiment to see if it does have that ability, and so will be prepared to sleep with as many Cabbers as possible to find out if it does.

DrGreggles

kalowski

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 19, 2020, 11:07:06 PM
I feel we need to run an experiment to see if it does have that ability, and so will be prepared to sleep with as many Cabbers as possible to find out if it does.
I am already a racist so it will be interesting to see the effect your willy has on me.

SpiderChrist

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: SpiderChrist on September 20, 2020, 05:48:50 PM
Where the fuck did that cunt disappear to?

He's got a lot of Fray Bentos to get through, it's Sunday.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on September 20, 2020, 05:51:48 PM
He's got a lot of Fray Bentos to get through, it's Sunday.

Didn't know he liked Brazilian food.

touchingcloth

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 19, 2020, 12:07:02 PM
I'm sure you know that emails to all the following email addresses get sent to the same inbox:

jadanketies@gmail.com
ja.dank.eties@gmail.com
ja.dank.eties@googlemail.com
jadanketies+tescoclubcard@gmail.com
jadanketies+stuffaboutmycar@gmail.com
and more.

This means:

You can use the same inbox to sign up for a website multiple times
You can set up filters for emails that are sent from particular organisations, or groups of organisations.
And you can even tell which arsehole company has sold on your email address.

I had a colleague who set up the website hisname.co.uk and then he would give his email address as tesco@hisname.co.uk, amazon@hisname.co.uk, all of which forward to the same email address, which is even neater.

I think my number one trick about computers though is - everyone ought to know that you press ctrl+c to copy and ctrl+v to paste. However it was very recently that I learned that ctrl+shift+v pastes and strips the formatting from the text you copied, so it instead uses the same formatting as the surrounding text on the page.

I love ctrl+shift+v, and get annoyed whenever I use something which doesn't interpret it as me wanting to ignore the formatting.

I'm a heavy user of adding touchingcloth+spunkingondogs@cab.com so I know to get in touch with the ICO if anyone other than spunkingondogs.com emails me on that address. This works on my work gmail as well, but annoyingly the t.ouc.hi.n.g.clo.th thing doesn't work in the business version of gmail.

touchingcloth

I've never seen Star Trek, but I'm aware it has Kirk (a human), Spock (a alien) and Data (a robot). Because of this I'd always assumed it was like Red Dwarf where a ragtag bunch of different species and holograms all rub along together, but apparently this is incorrect.

Sin Agog

This must be in here some place but it only just hit me that tablets (as in ipads etc.) are called that because of ancient clay tablets things like Hammurabai's laws were written on.  Gilgamesh was the world's first epub file.

Sebastian Cobb

Not 'only just' I guess it was more of a slow burner that revealed itself but when I was little I thought Central (ITV) was called that because it was in the middle of the buttons on television sets, a line of infant thinking that succeeds the opening of Channel 4 but precedes anyone in my immediate family getting a telly with a remote control.