Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:50:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjwilson

This is stolen from a recent Adam Buxton podcast, but the word for someone who runs a restaurant is restaurateur, not restauranteur.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Quote from: mjwilson on October 14, 2020, 08:34:29 PM
This is stolen from a recent Adam Buxton podcast, but the word for someone who runs a restaurant is restaurateur, not restauranteur.

touchingcloth

No Country for Old Men isn't a comedy caper with a couple of Jack Lemmon/Walter Matthau types going "oh god, what are we like?! Cuh, my knees." It sounds quite different to that.

touchingcloth

Pigeonholes aren't the holes on the outside of dovecotes to let the birds in and out, but the more numerous nesting holes covering the insides which act more like, well, pigeonholes.

olliebean

Bird's nest soup isn't a fanciful name for a soup with stuff in it which vaguely resembles birds' nests, but is actually a soup made from literal birds' nests. Of further interest is the fact that the particular birds in question make their nests out of their own saliva, so bon appétit.

touchingcloth

Quote from: olliebean on October 16, 2020, 11:02:43 AM
Bird's nest soup isn't a fanciful name for a soup with stuff in it which vaguely resembles birds' nests, but is actually a soup made from literal birds' nests. Of further interest is the fact that the particular birds in question make their nests out of their own saliva, so bon appétit.

You'll shit bricks when you hear about thousand-year egg.

JaDanketies

Paul Calf

touchingcloth

touchingcloth

When I think people are talking about tomalley in weird contexts, they're probably actually talking about tamale.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 17, 2020, 10:08:51 PM
When I think people are talking about tomalley in weird contexts, they're probably actually talking about tamale.

Isn't that the police captain Cypress Hill say they're going to put a 'slug' into?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 17, 2020, 10:22:04 PM
Isn't that the police captain Cypress Hill say they're going to put a 'slug' into?

I'd imagine so.

Poobum

Canal/Channel, same thing, same etymology. You could say it's too obvious. You could certainly say.

touchingcloth

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Poobum on October 18, 2020, 03:36:49 PM
Canal/Channel, same thing, same etymology. You could say it's too obvious. You could certainly say.

I'd never really put this together despite watching quite a bit of stuff from France's StudioCanal/Canal+ I'm a fucking idiot.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 17, 2020, 10:08:51 PM

On the Bake Off Extra Slice show they introduced someone in the audience called Salmon Dave which seemed a reasonable name for someone on a cooking show... then I realised it was two people...

olliebean

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on October 18, 2020, 05:23:39 PM
On the Bake Off Extra Slice show they introduced someone in the audience called Salmon Dave which seemed a reasonable name for someone on a cooking show... then I realised it was two people...

Well, after all, the show was originally presented by Melon Sue...

touchingcloth

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on October 18, 2020, 05:23:39 PM

Was one of them Salmon Dave?

DrGreggles

touchingcloth

The sport of "real tennis" which normal tennis derives from is still played in some places, and uses a fucking state of a court design:

Careful, mate. Dedans penthouse, that.

If anyone would like to photoshop that image to change the names of each line and area I would support that.

kalowski

Dedans penthouse was my favourite Dungeons and Dragons module.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 19, 2020, 08:50:19 AM
The sport of "real tennis"

Does that mean all other tennis is merely imaginary? Heavy.

touchingcloth

Quote from: SpiderChrist on October 19, 2020, 09:39:36 AM
Does that mean all other tennis is merely imaginary? Heavy.

Yep. You'll shit bricks when you hear about Real Madrid.

poodlefaker

The other sort of tennis is relatively new.  It was invented in the late 19th century but only started to get really popular after it was shown  on television, and it was shown on TV largely because it was easy to film - small tv-screen-shaped pitch, easy to zoom in on spectator reactions etc.

Sebastian Cobb

touchingcloth

petril

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 19, 2020, 08:50:19 AM
The sport of "real tennis" which normal tennis derives from is still played in some places, and uses a fucking state of a court design:

Careful, mate. Dedans penthouse, that.

If anyone would like to photoshop that image to change the names of each line and area I would support that.

tennis got it backwards. Lawn Tennis is what you were trying to play; Real Tennis what happens when want to do that but you live in a shithole and have to make accomodations for whatever space you have, plus the diversity of ability, age, and willingness to throw a complete fucking benny about things not going your way

kalowski

Real Tennis can definitely fuck right off
QuoteThere are two basic designs in existence today: jeu quarré, which is an older design, and jeu à dedans. The court at Falkland Palace is a jeu quarré design which unlike jeu à dedans court lacks a tambour and dedans.
QuoteThere are numerous and widely varying styles of service. These are given descriptive names to distinguish them – examples are "railroad", "bobble", "poop", "piqué", "boomerang", and "giraffe".
QuoteFor instance, when the ball bounces twice on the floor at the service end, the serving player does not generally lose the point. Instead a "chase" is called where the ball made its second bounce and the server gets the chance, later in the game, to "play off" the chase from the receiving end; but to win the point being played off, their shot's second bounce must be further from the net (closer to the back wall) than the shot they originally failed to reach.
And we moan about VAR?!

touchingcloth

Fifteen men in a Dedans penthouse, yo ho ho that's a lot of cum.

olliebean

Quite amusing that one of the most popular sports is based on a game that someone clearly invented as a wind-up.