Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:53:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
In the "Why don't Americans have proper names?" thread, one of the tags is "Tyson Legend Jnr from Garry, Indiana"

It's legend Gary isn't it...

phes

I thought the phrase Carrot and Stick represented a reward and something used to hang the reward just out of reach, such that the reward would be pursued continually. I think I imagined people on donkeys holding carrots out in front of them to make them run.

Come on. It makes sense

Replies From View

olliebean

Quote from: phes on October 21, 2020, 08:32:54 PM
I thought the phrase Carrot and Stick represented a reward and something used to hang the reward just out of reach, such that the reward would be pursued continually. I think I imagined people on donkeys holding carrots out in front of them to make them run.

Come on. It makes sense

So did I, for ages.

touchingcloth

There's not a big budget Spiderman film from the seventies like the Christopher Reeve Supermans.

Hand Solo

Quote from: olliebean on October 21, 2020, 10:52:29 PM
So did I, for ages.

Carrot & Stick was actually a folk comedy double-act from the 70s.

touchingcloth

Lobster rolls are sandwiches, not roulades.

pigamus

(+1 for carrot and stick.)

Industrial Light and Magic. Never occured to me what that's supposed to mean. Like, "Industrial light... and magic!" I've always just had it in my head like Freeman, Hardy and Willis or something.

NoSleep

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 05, 2020, 02:35:32 PM
Who makes porridge with water?

Ugh.

Really? I've only ever made porridge with water; milky porridge is kiddy slop. Also try toasting the dry oats in the pan for a minute (until they start to change colour) before adding the water for extra flavour and texture.

Norton Canes

touchingcloth

Quote from: NoSleep on October 22, 2020, 09:43:57 AM
Really? I've only ever made porridge with water; milky porridge is kiddy slop. Also try toasting the dry oats in the pan for a minute (until they start to change colour) before adding the water for extra flavour and texture.

I think people's aversion to porridge made with water is that unlike with milk it needs some seasoning adding, but I personally prefer it made with water and a bit of salt because I can't chow down on huge amounts of anything milky. Milkshakes and the idea of drinking big gulps of milk from a glass like some people enjoy turn my stomach.

bgmnts

Yeah water and salt is my go to porridge now. I dont know how sweet porridge made with water would go, or savoury porridge made with milk.

NoSleep

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 22, 2020, 10:39:38 AM
I think people's aversion to porridge made with water is that unlike with milk it needs some seasoning adding, but I personally prefer it made with water and a bit of salt because I can't chow down on huge amounts of anything milky. Milkshakes and the idea of drinking big gulps of milk from a glass like some people enjoy turn my stomach.

I don't add salt to porridge but a little cinnamon is nice. Milk just cancels any other flavours in whatever you add it to.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Captain Z on October 22, 2020, 12:08:53 PM
Maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary

I haven't thought of that lyric for over twenty years. I remember it, but I never really questioned what it meant to "dance the funky chicken". Turns out it's just an elbows-out dance in the manner of a chicken. You know, like what cunts do.

Sebastian Cobb

I'll make with water, but 2/3rds water and 1/3rd milk is what I go for if I've got milk in.

Almond milk works well in that ratio too.

Quote from: bgmnts on October 22, 2020, 10:40:29 AM
Yeah water and salt is my go to porridge now. I dont know how sweet porridge made with water would go, or savoury porridge made with milk.

I add honey to water+salt porridge and it comes out quite nice.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 19, 2020, 08:50:19 AMIf anyone would like to photoshop that image to change the names of each line and area I would support that.

touchingcloth

petril

Dexter (as in yer serial killer fella) is the opposite of Sinister, not the same like I thought because he was a serial killer, ahhh

touchingcloth

Icepicks look like screwdrivers with points instead of heads, not like tiny pickaxes.

Ferris

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 23, 2020, 01:42:35 PM
Icepicks look like screwdrivers with points instead of heads, not like tiny pickaxes.

Would've added some much needed levity to the Basic Instinct bedroom scenes.

Sebastian Cobb

You do get ice axes though. One of my mates had some for climbing in ice.

NoSleep

Quote from: petrilTanaka on October 22, 2020, 10:23:14 PM
Dexter (as in yer serial killer fella) is the opposite of Sinister, not the same like I thought because he was a serial killer, ahhh

Dexter means the right hand and sinister means the left hand. Sinister came to mean "evil" because witches, etc "followed the left hand path".

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 23, 2020, 01:46:41 PM
Or a gimlet

A quick google tells me gimlets have twisty drill bits at one end which I'd forgotten, so not at "awl" the same. See what I did there.

Pathetic.

petril

Quote from: NoSleep on October 23, 2020, 07:23:17 PM
Dexter means the right hand and sinister means the left hand. Sinister came to mean "evil" because witches, etc "followed the left hand path".

they kept the right path free. biggidy biggidy bong

buzby

Quote from: pigamus on October 21, 2020, 11:30:24 PM
(+1 for carrot and stick.)

Industrial Light and Magic. Never occured to me what that's supposed to mean. Like, "Industrial light... and magic!" I've always just had it in my head like Freeman, Hardy and Willis or something.
It was chosen to disguise the activities of what they were doing. Their original location was a warehouse in an industrial area of Van Nuys in LA and Lucas wanted to keep it a secret that there was film making activities going on there ,so he picked a name that sounded like they were an electronic components distributor.

When they moved from Van Nuys to San Rafael in 1978 the ILM name had become too famous, so they name on the front of the new building was 'Kerner Co.' (the premises was sited on Kerner Boulevard). Lucas spun the practical effects departments off in 2006 (ILM becoming a digital-only effects company) in a management buyout, and the new company named itself Kerner Optical. It went bankrupt in 2011.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 23, 2020, 01:44:07 PM
So a bradawl then?
A Bradawl has a sharpened flat tip like a small chisel. An Awl has a sharp point, like an icepick.

touchingcloth