Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:13:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Meat Platter

Ferris

JesusAndYourBush

famethrowa

Here's a really, really obvious one that I only just realised a moment ago: there's still a Luftwaffe. And it's bigger than ever.

NoSleep

touchingcloth

Quote from: NoSleep on October 24, 2020, 10:25:18 AM
Orgy/orgasm.

Wiktionary has this for orgy:

QuoteOriginally in plural from French orgies, from Latin orgia, from Ancient Greek ὄργια (órgia, "secret rites, mysteries").

An orgasm is certainly a kind of secret mystery!!!!!! But, alas:

QuoteFrom French orgasme or New Latin orgasmus, from Ancient Greek ὀργασμός (orgasmós, "excitement, swelling"), from ὀργάω (orgáō, "to swell with moisture").

Hot.

NoSleep

Merely coincidence, then. Or maybe the first secret rituals were organised by swingers. Just realised organ and organised are also in the "starting with org" family.

Dr Rock

NoSleep

NoSleep

kittens

NoSleep

Just realised that:

Sarcasm/sarcastic ≍ spasm/s*****c (spasmodic notwithstanding).

Stoneage Dinosaurs

The sample on It' Tricky by Run-DMC is My Sharona. RIP Oscillations

Menu

Quote from: NoSleep on October 24, 2020, 12:40:51 PM
Merely coincidence, then. Or maybe the first secret rituals were organised by swingers. Just realised organ and organised are also in the "starting with org" family.

That's similar to the fact that the words 'pen' and 'pencil' do not have the same etymological root. See also, 'male' and 'female'.  Still can't get my head round those.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Menu on October 24, 2020, 09:30:34 PM
That's similar to the fact that the words 'pen' and 'pencil' do not have the same etymological root. See also, 'male' and 'female'.  Still can't get my head round those.

Fuck. My. Hat.

Also:

From Anglo-Norman and Old French pincil (see the variant pincel, which gave rise to Modern French pinceau ("paintbrush")), from Latin pēnicillum, diminutive of pēniculus ("brush"), itself a diminutive of pēnis.

Tee hee.

olliebean

So you're saying "pencil dick" is actually tautologous?

touchingcloth

Johnny Vegas' wiki page has got an interesting disambiguation clause at the top:

For the golfer, see Jhonattan Vegas. For the footballer, see Johnny Vegas Fernández. For the saxophonist, see Tim Burton (musician).

Ominous Dave

Kaitlin Olson from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is not one of the Olsen Twins (yes it's not even spelled the same, I know that now).

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ominous Dave on October 25, 2020, 01:43:32 AM
Kaitlin Olson from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is not one of the Olsen Twins (yes it's not even spelled the same, I know that now).

It actually is spelled the same - Olsen is the plural form of Olson.

DrGreggles

Andy147

Quote from: Menu on October 24, 2020, 09:30:34 PM

Though the "-ale" ending in female is from the association with "male"; otherwise it'd be something like "femelle".

touchingcloth

Quote from: Andy147 on October 25, 2020, 11:20:22 AM
Though the "-ale" ending in female is from the association with "male"; otherwise it'd be something like "femelle".

*touchingcloth heads for Wiktionary again*

Aye. Apparently the word which became female was modified so that it matched the word male, which is different to woman which was created with man as its root rather than being an existing word with its spelling shifted.

These word things are my favourite posts in this thread.

gib

lin is an old word for flax, so a flaxen cloth is a linen cloth and flaxseed is linseed

Andy147

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 25, 2020, 12:47:53 PM
*touchingcloth heads for Wiktionary again*

Aye. Apparently the word which became female was modified so that it matched the word male, which is different to woman which was created with man as its root rather than being an existing word with its spelling shifted.

These word things are my favourite posts in this thread.

Similarly, "gauntlet" as in "run the gauntlet" is from an entirely different root from "gauntlet" as in "throw down the gauntlet" (the former being altered from "gantlope" by confusion with the latter).

Insurance policy and government policy are also apparently from different roots.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Andy147 on October 25, 2020, 01:14:32 PM
Similarly, "gauntlet" as in "run the gauntlet" is from an entirely different root from "gauntlet" as in "throw down the gauntlet" (the former being altered from "gantlope" by confusion with the latter).

What about "run the gamut"?

touchingcloth

Quote from: gib on October 25, 2020, 12:55:12 PM
lin is an old word for flax, so a flaxen cloth is a linen cloth and flaxseed is linseed

Graham Flax à Han.

sirhenry

Steam cleaning things leaves them all bright and shiny for weeks afterwards - even hands and faces.

olliebean

"Silly English kerniggets" = silly English knights.

Icehaven

Twitter has been around for 14 years. If I'd had to guess I'd have said about 6 or 7, so maybe since 2013 at the earliest, but I'm watching a film from 2011 and someone mentioned it. 14 years of hurt.