Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:23:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Frank Bough, Brian Clough - different people.

imitationleather

The Cloud of Unknowing

Quote from: olliebean on October 25, 2020, 09:55:31 PM
Frank Bough, Brian Clough - different people.

My father-in-law told me this morning that Brough Scott had died. Not a good week for sports presenters, I thought, but of course he was just being a confused idiot as usual.

touchingcloth

In the US Office, Andy Bernard's friend who is often mentioned but never seen - Broccoli Rob - has a name which is a pun on foodstuff broccoli rabe.

touchingcloth

"Grand slam" is what some individual tennis tournaments are called, rather than a name for winning all of the tennises.

Sebastian Cobb

I thought it was when you burped and farted at the same time.

buttgammon

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 26, 2020, 09:03:03 PM
"Grand slam" is what some individual tennis tournaments are called, rather than a name for winning all of the tennises.

It's both - so the events in questions are individually grand slams, but a player is said to win the grand slam if they win all four in a year.

touchingcloth

Quote from: buttgammon on October 26, 2020, 10:51:59 PM
It's both - so the events in questions are individually grand slams, but a player is said to win the grand slam if they win all four in a year.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 19, 2020, 12:29:09 PM
tennis is such a cunt's sport. in the bin.

The Cloud of Unknowing

I've been listening to Zappa for years but the penny's only just dropped on the pun in 'In France' - diseases like you ain't never seen, and a blow-job that can turn your peter green.

famethrowa

Quote from: The Cloud of Unknowing on October 27, 2020, 01:01:25 AM
I've been listening to Zappa for years but the penny's only just dropped on the pun in 'In France' - diseases like you ain't never seen, and a blow-job that can turn your peter green.

I don't know the song, but is there any PG musical quotation there? They couldn't let that one pass by. In the song where he says "come to skim the CREAM" there's a blast of the Sunshine riff real quick.

touchingcloth

Richard Herring's podcasts about playing himself at snooker and clearing a field of stones are real, not just long-running jokes. I am worried, proper All Work and no Play stuff.

imitationleather

I've always been curious how the snooker one would even work, but nowhere near enough to actually listen and find out.

Hand Solo

Quote from: imitationleather on October 27, 2020, 01:24:41 PM
I've always been curious how the snooker one would even work, but nowhere near enough to actually listen and find out.

It's simple isn't it? It's how Bobby Fischer got so good at chess, he constantly had a tiny magnetic set on him he'd use continuously by trying to play against himself each move. You just pretend you're playing an opponent and try to pot something or snooker them, then switch to the mindset of the imagined opponent and do the same to your previous guise. And black out and murder prostitutes.

imitationleather

Paul Calf

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 27, 2020, 02:18:49 PM
They usually 'call' on the night and the loser makes a dignified concession speech.
Not expecting one of those next week...

FUCK ME ITS NEXT WEEK

Ferris

Quote from: imitationleather on October 27, 2020, 01:57:09 PM
But in a podcast?

The idea that it doesn't work at all (in combination with Herring's gleeful commitment to it) is why it works.

I mean, I haven't listened to Rich's output for literally 3 years at this point, but used to enjoy them. Knockabout bit of absurdist humour.

The Cloud of Unknowing

Quote from: famethrowa on October 27, 2020, 10:00:08 AM
I don't know the song, but is there any PG musical quotation there? They couldn't let that one pass by. In the song where he says "come to skim the CREAM" there's a blast of the Sunshine riff real quick.

Not as far as I can tell, although the whole thing's a kind of swampy blues. Could just have been a funny coincidence.

Marner and Me

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 26, 2020, 09:19:45 PM
I thought it was when you burped and farted at the same time.
I thought it was when you pissed, shit and vomited your bed all in one night after a nights slurp.

JaDanketies

touchingcloth

Icehaven

Hammer House of Horror wasn't the name of the studio that made horror films, it was a TV anthology series. 

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on October 30, 2020, 12:30:16 PM
Hammer House of Horror wasn't the name of the studio that made horror films, it was a TV anthology series.

Fuck my hat!

phes

When something disintegrates it dis-integrates. I dunno, surely I can't have just realised this which is beyond obvious. I have just dropped a cherished ornament of a nuthatch and dis-integrated into particles again that which was previously integrated and formed into the shape of its beak. Sakes

Sebastian Cobb

Rudeness of staff is proportional to the quality of a country's labour laws.

Ferris

Man on the Moon and Imitation of Life are two different R.E.M. songs.

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 30, 2020, 06:42:24 PM

Mate

That's me in the sugarcane that tasted good

Mate

JaDanketies

Did you know that Michael Stipe from REM and Kurt Cobain were neighbours and bet each other who could write a hit song with the most 'yeahs,' and REM did Man on the Moon and Nirvana did Lithium?

Jockice

But that one about pushing an elephant down the stairs isn't.