Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:27:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petril

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 09, 2020, 10:40:07 AM
Aye, the convention is meaningless but the British colour coding predates the American one. Apparently some networks used to go with red for left and blue for right, but at some point one network made the decision that the current way was more logically correct because Red = Republican. Jesus wept if so.

the bold Red of communism and the brits

JaDanketies

And Democrats are way more of the plain crisps of the world.

touchingcloth

If Walkers made Democrats, they'd probably be green.

gib

Quote from: NoSleep on November 09, 2020, 10:19:09 AM
Engineer is not derived from engine but the other way round. Engineer derives from the latin ingeniator, sharing common roots with the word ingenious.

etymonline (which admittedly isn't always right) disagrees

Quotec. 1300, "mechanical device

https://www.etymonline.com/word/engine#etymonline_v_8676

Quotemid-14c., enginour

https://www.etymonline.com/word/engineer#etymonline_v_25786

NoSleep

Engineers make all kinds of things (not just engines). The word has a similar meaning to the word designer.

gib

Quote from: NoSleep on November 09, 2020, 11:54:18 AM
Engineers make all kinds of things (not just engines). The word has a similar meaning to the word designer.

Yes, the meaning of the word evolved, like so many words. I don't see what this has to do with the question of which word derived from which.

NoSleep

You missed this from that page you linked to (related to the verb "to engineer") which also dates back to the 13th century (and shows how the word evolved):

Quote1818, "act as an engineer," from engineer (n.). Figurative sense of "arrange, contrive, guide or manage (via ingenuity or tact)" is attested from 1864, originally in a political context. Related: Engineered. Middle English had a verb engine "contrive, construct" (late 14c.), also "seduce, trick, deceive" (c. 1300) and "put to torture."

Similar to how the word "art" originally derived from words like artful and artless implying some kind or lack) of trickery or artifice.

I guess people back then were generally suspicious of those who could think their way through situations.

NoSleep

Also from those pages you linked:

Quotemid-14c., enginour, "constructor of military engines," from Old French engigneor "engineer, architect, maker of war-engines; schemer" (12c.), from Late Latin ingeniare

Dex Sawash

dissolute ocelot

Aye, the convention is meaningless but the British colour coding predates the American one. Apparently some networks used to go with red for left and blue for right, but at some point one network made the decision that the current way was more logically correct because Red = Republican. Jesus wept if so.
Wikipedia has a long history of election map colouring. There was no standard until 2000, with different networks using different things, and many tried to mix it up rather than keep fixed colours. NBC reportedly decided to use blue for the incumbents in 2000 which is how they made the Democrats blue; CBS had used blue for Democrats from 1984; ABC had yellow Republicans in 1976. As touchingcloth says, that bastion of intellectualism the The New York Times reportedly decided on red=Republican in 2000 purely for alliterative reasons (I guess it's as good a way to choose as any). Even in 2000 on election night there was no standardisation, but after the election the current scheme gradually became shared and a meme was born. Apparently the Californian Republican Party now has blue as its official colour, so they can hide in swimming pools for nefarious sexual purposes.

gib

kalowski

Quote from: gib on November 09, 2020, 04:29:33 PM
You are correct. According to John Ayto:

My copy of Chambers' agrees: ingenium originally meant "mother wit"

gib

hang on, Ayto seems to be saying engine preceded engineer

NoSleep

He's saying (a word that meant) ingenious preceded them both.

zomgmouse

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Cerys

I think you'll find it actually means Duck Fart.

touchingcloth

Quote from: The Cloud of Unknowing on November 10, 2020, 12:54:28 AM
What about Farokh Engineer?

The spelling is actually based on a misunderstanding. It should really be Faroukh Enginier, because he's more enginey than most other Faroukhs, however he is not the enginest.

beanheadmcginty

When people refer to "Clive" on here, as in a phrase like "Not for me Clive", they are referencing a football commentator and not, as I had always assumed, Keith Floyd's cameraman.

touchingcloth

Oh. I thought it was some kind of reference to Clive Anderson, maybe to the Bee Gees interview in some way I was too much of a dunce to grasp.

Dex Sawash

Paul Calf

Icehaven

It's dock leaves, not doc as in doctor because they heal nettle stings.

Menu

No, up until 2000 blue was used for the incumbent and red was used for the challenger. But because of the drawn-out ending to the 2000 election blue just became permanently attached to the Dems(who were the incumbents) and red for the Republicans.

Ambient Sheep

It's especially bewildering coming from the country that brought us the phrase "reds under the bed".

touchingcloth

Quote from: Menu on November 11, 2020, 02:13:25 AM
No, up until 2000 blue was used for the incumbent and red was used for the challenger. But because of the drawn-out ending to the 2000 election blue just became permanently attached to the Dems(who were the incumbents) and red for the Republicans.

Not according the Wiki page someone else posted earlier: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_states_and_blue_states

There were some places that used blue for the incumbents, but it wasn't a standard thing and didn't become one until the 2000 election cemented it in the brains of the public. NBC's use of blue for incumbent would have fed into that, but it's not the whole story.

QuoteBy 1996, color schemes were relatively mixed, as CNN, CBS, ABC, and The New York Times referred to Democratic states with the color blue and Republican ones as red, while Time and The Washington Post used the opposite scheme. NBC used the color blue for the incumbent party, which is why blue represented the Democrats in 2000.

In the days following the 2000 election, whose outcome was unclear for some time after election day, major media outlets began conforming to the same color scheme because the electoral map was continually in view, and conformity made for easy and instant viewer comprehension. On election night that year, there was no coordinated effort to code Democratic states blue and Republican states red; the association gradually emerged. Partly as a result of this eventual and near-universal color-coding, the terms "red states" and "blue states" entered popular use in the weeks following the 2000 presidential election.

buzby

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 10, 2020, 08:51:06 AM
When people refer to "Clive" on here, as in a phrase like "Not for me Clive", they are referencing a football commentator and not, as I had always assumed, Keith Floyd's cameraman.
Clive Tyldesley, specifically the phrase 'Not for me, Clive' which was coined by his ITV co-commentator Andy Townshend