Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:36:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Nitin Sawnhey, the man behind Ibiza Sunday morning classic doper anthem Immigrant (among others) is the same Nitin Sawnhey who co-created Goodness Gracious Me with Sanjeev Bhaskar.

Icehaven

I haven't seen Cheers! since the early 90s and it's on C4 in the mornings at the moment so I've been watching it, and I always thought Kirstie Alley was in it before Shelley Long, and that Frasier was involved with Diane after his divorce from Lilith rather than before. The episodes I'm watching at the moment are pure Neighties too, I'd just been assuming they were made in the mid 80s until yesterday where Sam said "It's the 90s".

Paul Calf

Icehaven

The whole thing about Big Ben bonging Brexit at 11pm on the 31st was because we're leaving the EU by Brussels time and it'll be midnight there at 11pm here.

Gulftastic

Quote from: icehaven on January 29, 2020, 04:47:40 PM
I haven't seen Cheers! since the early 90s and it's on C4 in the mornings at the moment so I've been watching it, and I always thought Kirstie Alley was in it before Shelley Long, and that Frasier was involved with Diane after his divorce from Lilith rather than before. The episodes I'm watching at the moment are pure Neighties too, I'd just been assuming they were made in the mid 80s until yesterday where Sam said "It's the 90s".

Stop getting Cheers wrong!

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: icehaven on January 29, 2020, 09:07:33 PM
The whole thing about Big Ben bonging Brexit at 11pm on the 31st was because we're leaving the EU by Brussels time and it'll be midnight there at 11pm here.

Ah, that makes sense.  I assumed it was because Farage's party in Parliament Square has to end by 11:15pm and everyone would have gone home by midnight.

Norton Canes

In the Doctor Who Sylvester McCoy title sequence, the three asteroid things appear in time with the theme music notes

phantom_power

Quote from: icehaven on January 29, 2020, 09:07:33 PM

There's some sort of irony there but I can't quite grasp it

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 30, 2020, 11:04:06 AM
In the Doctor Who Sylvester McCoy title sequence, the three asteroid things appear in time with the theme music notes

Yeah I always assumed they were balls of scrunched-up newspaper as well.

olliebean

Quote from: phantom_power on January 30, 2020, 03:28:37 PM
There's some sort of irony there but I can't quite grasp it

I think we should insist on staying in until midnight. We shouldn't let the EU impose their weird continental time on our lovely British Brexit.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on January 24, 2020, 09:39:27 PM
Actually named because it became fashionable to use them for mopping up after sessions of handkerchief-pandkerchief.
According to a Wikipedia page I just read, handkerchiefs were invented by Richard II (of the dull Shakespeare play without a proper ending) who was the first to use scraps of cloth to wipe his nasal secretions. He was big on handkerchief-pandkerchief, less keen on kinging. This is neither obvious nor a thing, though, and I'm not sure it counts as a realisation.

Icehaven

Looking For Linda wasn't by Pat and Mick, it was Hue and Cry

Icehaven

Chandler from Friends = Eric from the 80s Dungeons and Dragons cartoon

Replies From View

Quote from: icehaven on February 02, 2020, 04:32:55 PM
Chandler from Friends = Eric from the 80s Dungeons and Dragons cartoon

*does a google*

In a universe in which Chandler from Friends was played by someone called Don Most.

touchingcloth

Xena: Warrior Princess was a spin off from some other show, and was filmed in New Zealand.

DrGreggles

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 07, 2020, 07:59:45 AM
Xena: Warrior Princess was a spin off from some other show

'Xena's Mum: Warrior Queen'.

NoSleep

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 07, 2020, 07:59:45 AM
Xena: Warrior Princess was a spin off from some other show, and was filmed in New Zealand.

Sam Raimi and Robert Tapert (producers of Evil Dead, Hercules & Xena; the latter being Xena's real-life husband) discovered it was cheap to film in NZ; they were still doing it up to Spartacus & Ash Vs Evil Dead.

touchingcloth

Quote from: NoSleep on February 07, 2020, 09:23:46 AM
Sam Raimi and Robert Tapert (producers of Evil Dead, Hercules & Xena; the latter being Xena's real-life husband) discovered it was cheap to film in NZ; they were still doing it up to Ash Vs Evil Dead.

My post was originally going to end with "...filmed in New Zealand, way before Lord of the Rings made it cool", but then I realised it was only about a year before that.

NoSleep

Neville Chamberlain

Apparently spelling your name "Stephen" or "Steven" tells you whether you're a Catholic or a Protestant. Some bloke at work told me that earlier today.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on February 07, 2020, 03:31:52 PM
Apparently spelling your name "Stephen" or "Steven" tells you whether you're a Catholic or a Protestant. Some bloke at work told me that earlier today.

As in everyone who spells their name either Stephen or Steven is either a Cath or a Prot, and no one else is? I wonder what John Paul makes of that, or would make of it if he weren't so thoroughly grave.

Gulftastic

The film title 'Die Hard' is a pun on 'try hard'.

touchingcloth

The thread in the film forum titled "Uncut Gems" is about a film of that name, not a place to discuss films which...I don't know, this is unravelling rapidly the more I actually think about it. I guess I assumed it might be about really good films in their uncut form. But all films are cut, aren't they, it's sort of one of their main selling points over things like CCTV.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 07, 2020, 07:41:46 PM
The thread in the film forum titled "Uncut Gems" is about a film of that name, not a place to discuss films which...I don't know, this is unravelling rapidly the more I actually think about it. I guess I assumed it might be about really good films in their uncut form. But all films are cut, aren't they, it's sort of one of their main selling points over things like CCTV.

The excellent 2015 film Victoria is a single take. Didn't think about that did you?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 07, 2020, 07:43:24 PM
The excellent 2015 film Victoria is a single take. Didn't think about that did you?

Still snipped off the end and the start, didn't they. Didn't think of that one, did you, pal?

Also Birdman. All filmed in a single three hour take. The film reel was the size of the London Eye.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 07, 2020, 07:49:36 PM
Still snipped off the end and the start, didn't they. Didn't think of that one, did you, pal?

Also Birdman. All filmed in a single three hour take. The film reel was the size of the London Eye.

How do you know? Maybe they started acting before they started filming.

touchingcloth

Nah, I've seen the snipped bits. Should see what Victoria is up to before filming proper starts, not to mention after. I can see where Andrew gets it from.

beanheadmcginty

Death Row is so called because it is a pun on death throes.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 07, 2020, 07:41:46 PM

I often see threads in the film forum and think "That can''t be the actual name of the film can it?" *click* "Bloody hell! It is!"