Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,354
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:24:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Sebastian Cobb

Bypasses are called bypasses because they go round stuff, not because they have two lanes, which would be bi-pass.

NoSleep

Replies From View

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on February 07, 2020, 03:31:52 PM
Apparently spelling your name "Stephen" or "Steven" tells you whether you're a Catholic or a Protestant. Some bloke at work told me that earlier today.

Obvious this

DrGreggles

TLDR means "Too Long, Didn't Read".
A youth* at work pointed this out to me.

*probably mid-30s

Dewt

There is no game called "Silly Putty". It's called Putty. I'm just remembering the game magazine previews that mentioned it by its original name back in the early 90s.

KennyMonster

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 07, 2020, 07:41:46 PM
The thread in the film forum titled "Uncut Gems" is about a film of that name, not a place to discuss films which...I don't know, this is unravelling rapidly the more I actually think about it. I guess I assumed it might be about really good films in their uncut form. But all films are cut, aren't they, it's sort of one of their main selling points over things like CCTV.

You guys need to be careful if a guy in a nightclub offers to sell you a film of say, Citizen Kane, because you might find that a lot of it has been cut with something cheaper such as Ernest Saves Christmas.

touchingcloth

The three biggest parties in the ROI all contain a word which looks similar enough that I've always assumed they share a root and translate to something like "party", but apparently not:

Fianna Fáil: Soldiers of Destiny / Warriors of Fáil

Sinn Féin: We Ourselves

Fine Gael: Family of the Irish

Apologies for any butchery of translations; blame Jimmy Wales.

NoSleep

Each word describes a group (or 'party') of people.

touchingcloth

Quote from: NoSleep on February 11, 2020, 07:26:45 AM
Each word describes a group (or 'party') of people.

I had that same thought almost as soon as I'd posted. Finna and fine share a root:

From Old Irish fíann, from Proto-Celtic *wēnos ("hero"), from Proto-Indo-European *wenh₁- ("strive for, wish, desire"). Cognate with Latin vēnor ("I hunt"), Old English wynn ("joy, desire")
From Old Irish fine, from Proto-Celtic *weniyā ("family"), from Proto-Indo-European *wenh₁- ("desire"); compare Old English wine ("friend")

I like the fact that the same root has led to those Irish meanings as well as the English "friend".

Féin has different derivation so far as I can tell, but then it's a pronoun rather than a noun so that's not too surprising.

olliebean

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 10, 2020, 11:56:40 PM
TLDR means "Too Long, Didn't Read".
A youth* at work pointed this out to me.

*probably mid-30s

Oh god, loads of these. Most recently probably TIL = Today I Learned.

DrGreggles

Quote from: olliebean on February 11, 2020, 08:50:48 AM

'LOL' has always annoyed me the most.
Only mildly when written down, but when people actually say it INSTEAD OF LAUGHING... Cunts, the lot of 'em.

touchingcloth

Quote from: olliebean on February 11, 2020, 08:50:48 AM

People at work started going on about how we should organise a series of AMAs - AMA this on one day, AMA that the next, AMA the other some time later. When I asked I was told it was Ask Me Anything, which I was momentarily cool with before they said the idea had come from Reddit and so I did one of those workplace massacres you hear about.

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 11, 2020, 08:53:04 AM
'LOL' has always annoyed me the most.
Only mildly when written down, but when people actually say it INSTEAD OF LAUGHING... Cunts, the lot of 'em.

Fuck these people. I have an American colleague who says it a lot - I think with a sense of irony - but their accent makes it rhyme with "pole", which irks me no end. Lole. More acceptable than the friend whose partner I have never once heard laugh but who I have heard thousands of times say "...that's funny". No exclamation mark on the end, just a monotone and frankly psychotic statement of fact. I can imagine them calmly saying it as they do one of those workplace massacres you hear about.

NoSleep

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 11, 2020, 08:35:29 AM

I like the fact that the same root has led to those Irish meanings as well as the English "friend".

The meaning I took from the quote was that the Old English word "wine" (which means "friend") was related to the Old Irish word "fine".

touchingcloth

That's what I took from it as well, or rather than "fine" in Irish and "friend" in English both come ultimately from the same words way back when.

The Edge is fine. Adam Clayton is féin. The other one is fianna.

olliebean

"Fetlock" = "Foot-lock," referring to the lock of hair that grows on the back of a horse's foot.

Tony Tony Tony

The 1980's disco smash Funkytown was performed by Lipps Inc. You can say it as Lip Sync which is what most bands did on Top of the Pops.

Also gives me a chance to post this toppermost of the poppermost link https://youtu.be/3jM0FY154I4

buzby

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on February 12, 2020, 07:56:17 AM
The 1980's disco smash Funkytown was performed by Lipps Inc. You can say it as Lip Sync which is what most bands did on Top of the Pops.

Also gives me a chance to post this toppermost of the poppermost link https://youtu.be/3jM0FY154I4
In Lipps Inc's case the name was mostly due to the 'band' being a revolving cast of session musicians from the Minneapolis scene revolving around writer/producer Steven Greenberg and vocalist Cynthia Johnson, so if any TV appearances were to be made they would have been replaced by stand-ins anyway (in 1970s TOTP's case it would have meant the TOTP Orchestra would have had to try and recreate it, as stand-ins miming to session musicians' work wasn't allowed by the Musician's Union rules). Here's what one of the lineups looked like (Greenberg is on the far left)

As it was, even Cynthia Johnson was never asked to appear on TV as Lipps Inc (it's not even her in the promo video), even on Soul Train in their home country. For TOTP they went with Legs & Co. and for the rest of Europe (Top Pop in Holland, Musikladen and ZDF Disco in Germany) the TV appearances were made with Skegness-born dancer Debbie Jenner recruited by Casablanca's European arm to mime ('lipsync') to Johnson's vocals alongside each show's resident dancers. (her appearances led her to be recruited by Dutch producer Piet Souer to front a girl band called Doris D and The Pins, who had come chart success in Holland in the early 80s).

The song is also notable in that there was no 'extended' version of the track - the original version from the Mouth To Mouth album was over 7 minutes long, so it was edited down to 4:44 for the 7" release and radio play.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on February 11, 2020, 11:58:17 AM
"Fetlock" = "Foot-lock," referring to the lock of hair that grows on the back of a horse's foot.

Horse's foot is such a cunt

Fetlock = special kind of minuscule testicle squishing chastity sphere thing they demonstrate on fetish sites.

DeadJefferson

you haven't heard it until you've heard James Last and his orchestra of disinterested teutons give it a good punishment beating

Tony Tony Tony

Thanks to Buzby for that encyclopedic like knowledge of Lipps Inc. That pic looks like a police line up... "tell me which one of these touched you". My money is on second from the left.

NoSleep

It's a very poor photomontage isn't it? Look at the size of the guy 2nd left, compared to the tiny guy to the far left who he's allegedly locking arms with.

studpuppet

It's also the subject of this lady's favourite ever memory in Brain Candy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFIAaD3hWl4

buzby

Quote from: NoSleep on February 12, 2020, 01:42:59 PM
It's a very poor photomontage isn't it? Look at the size of the guy 2nd left, compared to the tiny guy to the far left who he's allegedly locking arms with.
That is the guitarist Tom Riopelle (tall) linking arms with Steven Greenberg. Riopelle was formerly a member of Minnesota-based prog rock group Fairchild.

Replies From View

Quote from: buzby on February 12, 2020, 02:13:48 PM
That is the guitarist Tom Riopelle (tall) linking arms with Steven Greenberg. Riopelle was formerly a member of Minnesota-based prog rock group Fairchild.

Smallchild more like.

lazyhour

Quote from: Gulftastic on February 07, 2020, 07:31:06 PM
The film title 'Die Hard' is a pun on 'try hard'.

I guess you're joking (?) but it's a ref to "Old habits die hard", no?