Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:23:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Cerys on January 08, 2020, 01:57:19 AM
Yes it does.  There are two parts to the joke told in Jurassic Park.

Oh I thought he just meant as the original playground joke.

What's the Jurassic Park version?

Cerys

'What do you call a one-eyed dinosaur?' and 'what do you call a one-eyed dinosaur's dog?'.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Replies From View on January 08, 2020, 07:16:08 AM
Oh I thought he just meant as the original playground joke.

What's the Jurassic Park version?

Quote from: Cerys on January 08, 2020, 08:02:12 AM
'What do you call a one-eyed dinosaur?' and 'what do you call a one-eyed dinosaur's dog?'.

I know them as playground jokes, and I'm 99% sure I knew them both before the film due to owning several joke and dinosaur books. I was born to know them.

Doyouthinkhesaurus works quite well, but I've never been on board with the "Rex" addendum. It was actually watching Jurassic Park last night that made me think about it anew, and I also realised for the first time somehow that Hammond says "we spared no expense" about ten million times during the film.

popcorn

The "Flaming Homer" from The Simpsons is a pun on "flaming homo".

Replies From View

Quote from: Cerys on January 08, 2020, 08:02:12 AM

The second one doesn't make sense.  It should be "What do you call a one-eyed dinosaur when addressing a dog that is called Rex?" "Doyouthinkhesawus, Rex?"

Anyway it's shit and it makes me hate dinosaurs so I hope they are all fully happy with themselves.

Cerys

pigamus

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: QDRPHNC on January 06, 2020, 11:47:26 PM
newbridge's profile pic was from Nathan for You.

What happened to newbridge?

Scissored Isle at last sign-in? Unless you're thinking of an earlier one.

Norton Canes

In Ghosts, right - the BBC sitcom - in the fifth episode, where the ghosts are upstairs watching Friends, and the DVD won't work, and the Captain says, "Could that be any more vexing?"

That's not... that's not a phrase the Captain has made up. That's something which, it transpires, someone called Chandler uses as a kind of catchphrase in Friends. Except not necessarily ending with "vexing".

Who knew? Not me. I never watch fucking Friends. Why would I? Why would I watch fucking Friends?

So all the times since that episode of Ghosts that I've employed variations of the phrase "Could that be...", thinking I was cleverly showing how much I loved the BBC sitcom Ghosts... all I've actually been doing, is making people wonder why the fuck I've suddenly started using a phrase from fucking Friends from fucking decades ago.

Replies From View

Quote from: Cerys on January 09, 2020, 12:37:12 AM
Maybe it's more like dyouthinkhesaurus' Rex.

It wouldn't be pronounced the same way.

Icehaven

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 09, 2020, 12:15:00 PM
In Ghosts, right - the BBC sitcom - in the fifth episode, where the ghosts are upstairs watching Friends, and the DVD won't work, and the Captain says, "Could that be any more vexing?"

That's not... that's not a phrase the Captain has made up. That's something which, it transpires, someone called Chandler uses as a kind of catchphrase in Friends. Except not necessarily ending with "vexing".

Who knew? Not me. I never watch fucking Friends. Why would I? Why would I watch fucking Friends?

So all the times since that episode of Ghosts that I've employed variations of the phrase "Could that be...", thinking I was cleverly showing how much I loved the BBC sitcom Ghosts... all I've actually been doing, is making people wonder why the fuck I've suddenly started using a phrase from fucking Friends from fucking decades ago.

Having watched Friends through at least a few times, I can honestly say I can only remember Chandler saying "Could it be..." once, maybe twice. There's an episode where the other Friends were taking the mickey out of him and one of them does an impression of him by doing it, which is probably more where the thing of it being his catchphrase comes from, but other than that it's something that sounds like something he'd say a lot more than he actually says it.

popcorn

Quote from: icehaven on January 09, 2020, 12:43:15 PM
Having watched Friends through at least a few times, I can honestly say I can only remember Chandler saying "Could it be..." once, maybe twice. There's an episode where the other Friends were taking the mickey out of him and one of them does an impression of him by doing it, which is probably more where the thing of it being his catchphrase comes from, but other than that it's something that sounds like something he'd say a lot more than he actually says it.

I've barely seen any Friends in my life on account of finding it shite. But I've seen that "could it be" thing in reference to it a lot, so I'm sure it was a Friends reference in Ghosts.

Replies From View

I guess you need to follow the world of pokeman to find that one world-breaking.

Pokeman is based off of Pacman and uses poking instead of packing.

KennyMonster

I've just realised that when the whipper-snappers on here talk about the TV Show 'Friends' they are not talking about a new show.

They are using young person's slang for the 90s TV comedy show 'Coffee Friends'.

Icehaven

Quote from: popcorn on January 09, 2020, 01:22:21 PM
I've barely seen any Friends in my life on account of finding it shite. But I've seen that "could it be" thing in reference to it a lot, so I'm sure it was a Friends reference in Ghosts.

No it is definitely a Friends reference in Ghosts and other things, but my point was that it's become so due to being Chandler's 'catchphrase' even though he hardly ever says it in the whole series.

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on January 09, 2020, 12:43:15 PM

He probably says the actual phrase as often as Jerry Seinfeld says "what's the deal with...". While that story about David Cameron isn't true...

He actually said it word-for-word about three times. There's a compilation on YouTube that's 75% the other character's doing impressions of it.

touchingcloth

Hey'd you ever notice that what's the deal with be?

the

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 10, 2020, 12:38:40 AMHe actually said it word-for-word about three times. There's a compilation on YouTube that's 75% the other character's doing impressions of it.

Yeah, he says it a smattering of times in the first two seasons, then it later gets thrown into the spotlight when Joey puts on all of Chandler's clothes ("Look at me, I'm Chandler, could I be wearing any more clothes?"). From that point on it's almost always used by other characters as shorthand for 'something Chandler would say'.

The writers effectively make one character highlight a dialogue trope that they instilled in another character in the first place.

phes

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 10, 2020, 12:38:40 AM
He actually said it word-for-word about three times. There's a compilation on YouTube that's 75% the other character's doing impressions of it.
Quote from: touchingcloth on January 10, 2020, 12:21:43 AM
He probably says the actual phrase as often as Jerry Seinfeld says "what's the deal with..."

Watching that compilation drives home just how much funnier and layered the Seinfeld ribbing was.

kittens

thanks to thread 'chisels' i now understand where the phrase cutting edge comes from

phantom_power

Quote from: kittens on January 10, 2020, 09:20:37 AM
thanks to thread 'chisels' i now understand where the phrase cutting edge comes from

Isn't that more applicable to knives?

kittens

Yes. perhaps i should have expanded further in my original comment. i saw people talking about 'the cutting edge' of a chisel, which led to my realisation that it probably came from a knife or something.

kittens

actually no it definitely started with chisels because they are the 'cutting edge' technology when it comes to chiseling.

touchingcloth

Ferris

A "cheese and pickle" sandwich could be reduced down to a "chees-el" sandwich for the sake of efficiency. That sounds a bit like "chisel". Please advise.

kittens

Hi Ferrus,

My advice is that's dumb. plenty of things end in 'el' or 'le' that could plausibly be included in a sandwich with cheese. the fact that i cannot think of any examples right now does nothing to disprove how dumb your original comment was.

Yours For-ever,

Kitten

Ferris

They all laughed at Columbus when he said the world was round. That's you*, that is.

*not Columbus, the other ones

Jerzy Bondov

Oh that reminds me, yesterday I found out Colombo is in Sri Lanka, not South America. I was getting it mixed up with Colombia.