Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:07:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: lazyhour on February 12, 2020, 10:26:11 PM
I guess you're joking (?) but it's a ref to "Old habits die hard", no?

Which is itself a pun on "old habits try hard", which is what mouthy student monks say.

Replies From View

Piffle!  It's actually a reference to Nuns on the Run 2:  Dying Hard in Old Habits.

buzby

Quote from: lazyhour on February 12, 2020, 10:26:11 PM
I guess you're joking (?) but it's a ref to "Old habits die hard", no?
die-hard (n): One who stubbornly resists change or tenaciously adheres to a seemingly hopeless or outdated cause.

Boring Fact: The book the film script was based on was called Nothing Lasts Forever, but the producer Larry Gordon thought it sounded too much like a romance novel and wanted it changed  Joel Silver phoned up Lethal Weapon screenwriter Shane Black, who was working on a script called Die Hard and asked him if he could use that title for the film he was working on. Black agreed and retitled his script The Last Boy Scout.

bgmnts

I knew it was based on a book but that title is utter dogshit.

I like the sound of the novel though, bit darker.

imitationleather

lazyhour

Quote from: buzby on February 12, 2020, 11:37:39 PM
die-hard (n): One who stubbornly resists change or tenaciously adheres to a seemingly hopeless or outdated cause.

Yes, indeed! I believe the phrase 'old habits die hard' predates 'die-hard' on its own.

Danger Man

The train message 'See it, Say it, Sorted' is not 'See it, Say it, Sort it' as I have thought since whenever they started playing that fucking thing.

Thank you for your time.

poodlefaker

The Deftones are not a British sub-Oasis guitar band with Weller haircuts

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Danger Man on February 13, 2020, 11:48:28 AM
The train message 'See it, Say it, Sorted' is not 'See it, Say it, Sort it' as I have thought since whenever they started playing that fucking thing.

Thank you for your time.

I find those messages really sinister. Especially the nebulous 'doesn't seem right', just emboldens grasses and people who can't mind their own business.

Ambient Sheep

Yup.  As I wrote a couple of years ago:

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 24, 2017, 02:21:57 PMWhen I moved back [to the home counties] again in 2011 [after 20 years away], the thing that most shocked me when I first went into London on the train was all the:

"unattended bags may be removed and destroyed by the security services"

announcements.  I think it was the "by the security services" bit that got me.  Very pre-1990 Eastern Europe, very Orwellian.  Now we just take it for granted, but from a born Londoner who'd grown up through all the IRA stuff (and yes, we had unattended bag notices back then, and the occasional announcement about not leaving bags unattended), hearing all this regularly-automatically-broadcast "destroyed by the security services" stuff on my return to my birthplace came across as chilling.  That's the sort of thing I mean [below] about the government wanting us to be afraid.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 24, 2017, 02:13:01 PMThe biggest difference between now and then I can see is that back then the government were actively keen to stamp out fear, to insist that we all carry on as usual, etc. etc.  It was very much "Keep Calm and Carry On" only without the posters.  Nowadays the government actually seem to want us to be afraid, even if they half-heartedly deny it.  I'm trying to pinpoint when the change happened, because for all of Thatcher's other sins (including many over Irish republicanism, e.g. the stupid voice ban thing), this is something that she had right too.

When did fear become a political tool in the UK?  Sometime in the 2000s, I think...

Looper

The original Bladerunner was set in the year 2019 where Rutger Hauer died.
Rutger Hauer died again in 2019.

touchingcloth

Those cars with front bench seats are real, and not just a screenwriter's device for having more than two people in a car talk at once.

Replies From View

Quote from: imitationleather on February 12, 2020, 11:50:44 PM
Is it a Christmas book?

Apparently Bruce Willis wears one of those Scandinavian vests in it with the 8-bit Christmassy design.

Replies From View

When a Sega starts up and the word "Sega" comes on the screen and the voice says "Sega", it is actually saying "Sega" and not "Anus".

Looper

Quote from: Replies From View on February 14, 2020, 09:15:52 PM
When a Sega starts up and the word "Sega" comes on the screen and the voice says "Sega", it is actually saying "Sega" and not "Anus".
A bit of pub knowledge: The name Sega, an abbreviation of Service Games, was first used in 1954 on a slot machine, the Diamond Star.

studpuppet

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 14, 2020, 07:34:38 PM
Those cars with front bench seats are real, and not just a screenwriter's device for having more than two people in a car talk at once.

Not only that, but being the smallest and youngest child I was usually placed in between my parents on the front seat our our Renault 4 without a seatbelt, while they both wore theirs.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: studpuppet on February 14, 2020, 11:44:19 PM
Not only that, but being the smallest and youngest child I was usually placed in between my parents on the front seat our our Renault 4 without a seatbelt, while they both wore theirs.

My uncle had a Bedford Midi, the 'middle' seat was a bit of carpet on top of the engine. It used to give you a warm arse.

The van, not me uncle.

touchingcloth

Quote from: studpuppet on February 14, 2020, 11:44:19 PM

My Renault 4 has two separate front seats. What year was this, pardon for asking?

Dex Sawash

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 15, 2020, 11:37:37 PM
My Renault 4 has two separate front seats. What year was this, pardon for asking?

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 15, 2020, 11:37:37 PM

Why is it called a Renault 4 if it only has two front seats?

hamfist

The pokemon Ekans is a snake.

Just realised why it's called Ekans.

Ferris

Quote from: hamfist on February 16, 2020, 10:16:20 PM

Wait til you realize why it evolves into Arbok

popcorn

It still doesn't make any fucking sense though does it. If it were some kind of backwards snake creature it would make sense. What if they had other pokemon called DRIB and YEKNOM would that be cool????

Replies From View

Quote from: hamfist on February 16, 2020, 10:16:20 PM

Alright then clever clogs why is it called Elvis?

Icehaven

The 'egg timer' on my work computer is a little blue loop going round clockwise, and I've just realised if I move the mouse right with the right timing it looks like it's rolling across the screen.

Sebastian Cobb

This Jameela Jamil people have been bollocking on about isn't Jamelia.

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on February 17, 2020, 08:14:06 AM
It still doesn't make any fucking sense though does it. If it were some kind of backwards snake creature it would make sense. What if they had other pokemon called DRIB and YEKNOM would that be cool????

The puns all work in different languages. I was playing a friendly game of Pokémon stadium and friends wife (who is French) knew all the names of them en francais and explained why they were funny.

They were of course much better in English, but interesting innit.