Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:54:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: greencalx on February 23, 2020, 05:52:13 PM
A kidney dish is not so named because that's what you're expected to put in it.

In real life it is actually a kidney bean dish.  For the serving of one kidney bean.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: olliebean on February 23, 2020, 02:22:52 PM
The band Mungo Jerry (who I know essentially nothing about apart from their name) are named not after a band member called Jerry, but after the cat Mungojerrie in Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. I know the musical based on the poems well, but I've never made the connection before.

Likewise, it was only a few years ago that I discovered that the name Bombalurina that Timmy Mallett used to release his song Itsy Witsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini (Ah yeah!) was also the name of one of the cats.

olliebean

Quote from: Bobtoo on February 23, 2020, 03:54:07 PM
In the Summertime is allegedly the third biggest selling single of all time, behind White Christmas and the 1997 version of Candle in the Wind.

Bloody hell, did you just today listen to the same crappy Paul Sinha radio show that I just listened to today even though it was on months ago?

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on February 23, 2020, 05:20:14 PM
Gnarles Barkley is a pun on Charles Barkley.

I read this not knowing who Gnarles or Charles Barkley are, and I thought to myself "surely it would be a pun on that Niles Barkley chap what had a hit with Crazy". And then I googled.

touchingcloth

Rumpleteazer from Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats is named after Rumpelstiltskin and Malteasers.

And there's a bonus Obvious Thing. Maltesers like the Falcon (I assume), and not Malteasers because they're malty things that tease you, though I'm sure the ambiguity did cross their minds lmao!

olliebean

Pretty sure Maltesers are so-named because they've got barley malt extract in them. Why would they be named after a country they have absolutely no connection with?

touchingcloth

Either way it's confusing. It's either called Maltese despite having no connection to Malta, or has the ending "teser" despite that not being a real word. Delicious though, om nom teser.

Replies From View

I've just worked out that "Maltesers" is an anagram of "smelt arse".  It might be my best discovery ever.

Cerys

It's 'Malteasers'.  I found this out after far too many years.

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 23, 2020, 11:16:18 PM
Rumpleteazer from Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats is named after Rumpelstiltskin and Malteasers.

And there's a bonus Obvious Thing. Maltesers like the Falcon (I assume), and not Malteasers because they're malty things that tease you, though I'm sure the ambiguity did cross their minds lmao!

It's actually a reconstruction of the phrase 'teazelrumper', as the feline in question was named after its habit of sexually assaulting the local shrubberies.

Bobtoo

Quote from: olliebean on February 23, 2020, 08:12:49 PM
Bloody hell, did you just today listen to the same crappy Paul Sinha radio show that I just listened to today even though it was on months ago?

I listened to it when it was first on. I don't remember much else from it but that stuck in my mind.

Replies From View

Quote from: Replies From View on February 24, 2020, 12:04:33 AM
I've just worked out that "Maltesers" is an anagram of "smelt arse".  It might be my best discovery ever.

I can't believe that nobody else is bowled over by this.  It's incredible news.

DrGreggles

Agreed. That should have 'Fuck My Hat' status at a minimum!

Jerzy Bondov

A big bag of Maltesers should be called a Malty Pack

olliebean

Quote from: Cerys on February 24, 2020, 12:12:39 AM
It's 'Malteasers'.  I found this out after far too many years.

Really? Explain this then, wise guy:

dissolute ocelot

QuoteMaltesers were created by the American Forrest Mars Sr. in England in 1936, and first sold in 1937. They were originally described as "energy balls" and aimed at slimming women.
From Wikipedia. They also have different ingredients in different countries because Canadians can't get enough ammonium salt of phosphorylated glyceride.

touchingcloth

Maltesers Teasers are shite. Chocolate for idiots.

Sebastian Cobb

Is that just Malteser crap in the new mould that fucked up Aero's?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 24, 2020, 10:17:22 AM
A big bag of Maltesers should be called a Malty Pack

The German supermarkets call their version of Shreddies Malt Wheaties.

Had some for the first time in about 20 years this morning. I've been missing out.

Replies From View

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 24, 2020, 09:15:52 AM
Agreed. That should have 'Fuck My Hat' status at a minimum!

I have now hubristically shared it in that thread to see whether it fucks anyone else's hat.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 24, 2020, 07:04:56 PM
Is that just Malteser crap in the new mould that fucked up Aero's?
Aero is a Nestle product, not Mars-Wrigley. The Teaser is a bar with crushed-up Malteser cinder toffee in it:

The moulds are a similar shape, but the seqments on the Teaser are more globular that in the mould used for Aero:

Johnboy

There are Go Down and Go Up buttons on CAB thread pages. Fancy that.

Cerys

kittens

the name of the pokemon 'ponyta' is probably a play on the word 'bonita'

NoSleep

Probably just chopped-down "ponytail", given the Japanese love of chopping english words into little bits. Immediately there's pokemon, which is chopped-down "pocket" and "monster". I only found out a week ago that Sega (first used in 1954) is chopped-down English for Service Games, the name of the company until 1960.

gib

touchingcloth

Quote from: NoSleep on February 25, 2020, 04:23:37 PM
Probably just chopped-down "ponytail", given the Japanese love of chopping english words into little bits. Immediately there's pokemon, which is chopped-down "pocket" and "monster". I only found out a week ago that Sega (first used in 1954) is chopped-down English for Service Games, the name of the company until 1960.

False. Sega didn't exist until 1984 when Shen Mue was launched on the Neo Geo Mega-CD.

Sebastian Cobb

I was watching the film Clockers recently and got quite excited that the kid in it was constantly wearing bits of Sega promotional props from their ill-fated Sega VR system.

lazyhour

The film title "Beavis & Butt-Head Do America" is a play on "Debbie Does Dallas"!!!