Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:00:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 10, 2020, 04:07:54 PM
Oh that reminds me, yesterday I found out Colombo is in Sri Lanka, not South America. I was getting it mixed up with Colombia.

And neither of them is spelt the same way as the shabby detective.

Pseudopath

Oh that reminds me, yesterday I found out Colombo is in Sri Lanka, not South America. I was getting it mixed up with Colombia.

There is a Colombo in Brazil too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colombo,_Paran%C3%A1. It's famous for having a flag and coat of arms seemingly designed in MS Paint.

non capisco

The username Gregory Torso is most probably a pun on Beat poet Gregory Corso.

Sebastian Cobb

Most of the time he was in Los Angeles but he did also solve that crime in London.

Dewt

Almost every character in The Simpsons has normal hair, except for the Simpsons family who have yellow hair that is the same colour as their skin (due to being drawn that way in the Tracey Ullman shorts)

Sebastian Cobb

Holy shit. This is almost as big as when I found it Kelsey Grammar was Silent Bob.

Ferris

Quote from: Dewt on January 10, 2020, 08:08:22 PM
Almost every character in The Simpsons has normal hair, except for the Simpsons family who have yellow hair that is the same colour as their skin (due to being drawn that way in the Tracey Ullman shorts)

And everyone in TV shows has a different name, because it would get confusing for audiences if there was more than one Steve or whatever. Neighbours is so long running they ran out of normal names and had to call one of them "Toadfish".

Dewt

Oh yeah well why are the consultants in Office Space both called Bob explain that one genius

Dewt

the

Quote from: Dewt on January 10, 2020, 08:44:22 PMOh yeah well why are the consultants in Office Space both called Bob explain that one genius

See also The Adventures of Pete & Pete, a show I'd never heard of until Flouncer started showing it on (spam). It's a really inventive comedy kids show, in which the protagonists are brothers with the same name.

I haven't watched many episodes, but I'm fairly sure that mix-ups involving their name overlap are not the source of comedy in the show.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 10, 2020, 08:42:19 PM
And everyone in TV shows has a different name, because it would get confusing for audiences if there was more than one Steve or whatever. Neighbours is so long running they ran out of normal names and had to call one of them "Toadfish".

Now I understand what "Drunk Toadfish from Neighbours" is (was prob in XMAS VERSUS 2014)

Cerys

But Toady's real name is Jared, so they even went to the lengths of giving him two unusual names, just to be on the safe side.

Dewt

Dinosaur Comics is about to stomp a girl in the bottom-left panel

Didn't notice until I looked at the first comic

NoSleep

But there is more question...

olliebean

Quote from: Dewt on January 11, 2020, 01:47:51 AM
It's called menses because menstruation

Yum!

On a similar note: a placenta is a big meaty thing, not the thin translucent jellyfish-like thing that for some reason I'd always imagined.

Norton Canes

Icehaven

Obvious thing someone else has only just realised: Mr. Haven (36 years old, born and raised in the UK in households that always had a TV) has just realised (or rather been told, by me) that BBC channels don't have adverts, and that's why the TV licence exists. He'd seriously never noticed.

kittens

a 'fly by night operation' is one that leaves at night, presumably to escape justice. its fly like how a very very old man might say fly like how i think the amazing magical Wizard Gandalf says it. its not something that flies around in the sky at night time. not necessarily that, sorry.

Ferris

A friend's daughter is just old enough to piece together that everybody poos. She asks about specific people and is always amazed when told that, yes, they poo.

popcorn

Quote from: Dewt on January 11, 2020, 04:37:28 AM
Dinosaur Comics is about to stomp a girl in the bottom-left panel

Didn't notice until I looked at the first comic

That isn't obvious, that is easy miss and poorly implemented.

studpuppet

"Castella and Lillet"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnBPvXrA7rM

Endicott

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 11, 2020, 05:21:31 PM
A friend's daughter is just old enough to piece together that everybody poos. She asks about specific people and is always amazed when told that, yes, they poo.

Dewt

Quote from: popcorn on January 11, 2020, 05:24:31 PM
It's a fixed-form comic, so having a detail that you can mostly ignore is probably useful for mixing things up

Ferris

Quote from: Endicott on January 11, 2020, 05:57:01 PM

Not a response to the meta-joke, but an amusing addendum to my story that I'll shoehorn in here:

Part of her bedtime routine is to ask about a list of people to be assured that they also poo. It's an exclusive list, so I'm delighted to say that a small girl is told every night before she goes to bed that I, Ferris, poo regularly. Mrs Ferris too. So there you go.

pigamus

beanheadmcginty

Whenever I see that name I can't stop myself pronouncing it Jones Bo in my head over and over again.

touchingcloth

It's a cardinal sin to my mind to include multiple characters with the same or easily confused names in a work of fiction unless the similarity is going to be remarked upon, as with something like Agent Johnson and Special Agent Johnson in Die Hard. Marvel fucked it up when giving Tim From The Office the surname Ross even though there's a moustachioed one called Ross in other films. They had Tim handwave it away in one film, but it feels very much like an oversight that has been patched up rather than a deliberate choice. And this in a film series starring Chris Evans Not That One.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 11, 2020, 05:21:31 PM

What a perfect chance for someone to put a modern spin on Yes, Virginia.

Zetetic

touchingcloth

Quote from: Zetetic on January 11, 2020, 11:33:45 PM
How regularly?

Well you only have to look at his posting history to see how often he TALKS SHIT