Author Topic: Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020  (Read 41101 times)

petrilTanaka

• Are we counting shites?
Re: Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020
« Reply #870 on: May 18, 2020, 07:21:21 PM »
I used to have a similar bit of confusion about old Ladbrokes' shops, when you couldn't see in to them and there were plain motifs of a football flying across the shop front with their trademark orange and red streak. What went on was all more 'behind closed doors' operations back then that adults didn't seem to want to explain. Like a less sordid version of a locally tolerated "massage parlour".

I miss the generic SPAWT graphics they used to have back then. Always the generic kitted footballers, one pulling a leg back to shoot while a defender slides in, a jockey leaning forward on a horse, and a couple of greyhounds with a nice wee perspective effect showing the curve of the track. Always them three, enticing you, until the door opened and you caught a glimpse of the smokey interior and its inhabitants. I swore the lights were set to a hue of "nicotine", they looked so dingy

« Reply #871 on: May 19, 2020, 02:21:08 AM »
Craig Ferguson of American talk show fame played Lister's Confidence in Red Dwarf

touchingcloth

• You wanna plack the rick, you ha.
« Reply #872 on: May 19, 2020, 02:29:51 AM »
Craig Ferguson of American talk show fame played Lister's Confidence in Red Dwarf

Interesting! Red Dwarf series 1 was the first DVD I ever bought, and I diligently watched every single special feature. In the cast commentary[1] they all talked about how great yet unknown the actors who played Confidence & Paranoia were, but looking at the timeline (DVD released 2002, his talk show starting in 2005) he must've been on the very cusp of breaking through when they were speaking about him. He's Scotch, apparently.
 1. Commentary tracks? Wha were all tharra bout?!

JesusAndYourBush

• Earnest silky coconut shell
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #873 on: May 19, 2020, 11:11:44 AM »
(DVD released 2002, his talk show starting in 2005) he must've been on the very cusp of breaking through when they were speaking about him. He's Scotch, apparently.

He's been around longer than that.  I saw him on Channel 4 several times circa 1986/87/88.  He was a standup comedian and went by the name of Bing Hitler.  He's poshed up his accent massively since then.

touchingcloth

« Reply #874 on: May 19, 2020, 11:26:44 AM »
He's been around longer than that.  I saw him on Channel 4 several times circa 1986/87/88.  He was a standup comedian and went by the name of Bing Hitler.  He's poshed up his accent massively since then.

I know he was around prior to that - the commentary didn't suggest he was a new discovery of theirs or anything - but I got the impression he was a little under the radar. Maybe, it would have been 2003 when I last heard it, and I didn't know him from anywhere outside of Red Dwarf.

« Reply #875 on: May 19, 2020, 03:16:04 PM »
I know he was around prior to that - the commentary didn't suggest he was a new discovery of theirs or anything - but I got the impression he was a little under the radar. Maybe, it would have been 2003 when I last heard it, and I didn't know him from anywhere outside of Red Dwarf.

I think in between he had big alcohol problems and suicidal tendencies in the early nineties, but cleaned up and reinvigorated his career by moving to the States.

Edit: Let him explain himself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K46P7loICXY

I do still like listening to this occasionally - it's not laugh-out loud but it bubbles along fairly merrily:

https://www.discogs.com/Craig-Ferguson-A-Big-Stoatir/release/2243352

« Reply #876 on: May 22, 2020, 12:25:24 AM »
Just watched a video on youtube where someone pronounced minutiae as 'my-new-sha' which made me worry I'd been pronouncing it wrongly since forever after consulting google I'm either saying it right, but lazily or slightly wrong but not as bad as this guy.

touchingcloth

« Reply #877 on: May 22, 2020, 12:48:33 AM »
Just watched a video on youtube where someone pronounced minutiae as 'my-new-sha' which made me worry I'd been pronouncing it wrongly since forever after consulting google I'm either saying it right, but lazily or slightly wrong but not as bad as this guy.

How do you pronounce it? I’m pretty much the same as that guy: mi-new-sha, where the i in mi is like that in “bit”. Might depend on how the “new” was pronounced, as there’s noo - which is wrong to my mind - or nyew, which is how I pronounce it.

Fuck. Have I been outing myself as a dunce forever?

« Reply #878 on: May 22, 2020, 12:49:48 AM »
min-yoo-tay

Dewt

• The Fun House Grand Prix
« Reply #879 on: May 22, 2020, 07:31:02 AM »
Got same bad news for you Sebaschiun

There are some old LGR videos where he pronounces genre as "John Ray".

Prison Biscuits

• weltschmerz my arsehole
« Reply #880 on: May 22, 2020, 09:45:07 AM »
How do you pronounce it? I’m pretty much the same as that guy: mi-new-sha, where the i in mi is like that in “bit”. Might depend on how the “new” was pronounced, as there’s noo - which is wrong to my mind - or nyew, which is how I pronounce it.

No, that is correct.

Paul Calf

• LOTION MAN
  • Golden Member
  • วชิราลงกรณ์คนงี่เง่าแห่งฆาตกร
« Reply #881 on: May 22, 2020, 09:53:20 AM »

The noo/nyoo division is well-understood. The elision of the ‘y’ sound (or ‘yod ’) in words like that is called yod-elision or yod-swallowing. Only the prissiness cunts object to that these days especially considering that most of the world elides the yod these days because it’s standard in American English.

Paul Calf

• LOTION MAN
  • Golden Member
  • วชิราลงกรณ์คนงี่เง่าแห่งฆาตกร
« Reply #882 on: May 22, 2020, 09:55:19 AM »
(I became painfully aware of this when I moved from the Midlands - one of the few regions of British English where the yod is usually dropped - to North Yorkshire, where it’s generally retained at the age of 13. This is not a stage of human development that predisposes young men to be open and receptive to diversity).

Sorry. Language-anorak interlude. Carry on.

« Reply #883 on: May 22, 2020, 10:43:55 AM »
Got same bad news for you Sebaschiun

There are some old LGR videos where he pronounces genre as "John Ray".

I notice if you click through the pronunciation stuff in Google it eventually lets you see the difference between uk/us English, and even have a little practice if you want to train Google on very personal idiosyncrasies of speech.

« Reply #884 on: May 23, 2020, 05:30:52 AM »
Alanis is the female translation of “Alan is” - but they never commit to what he actually is, which I find a bit of a short-change.

Morissette, a female Morrissey

« Reply #885 on: May 25, 2020, 08:43:47 AM »
Shaun the Sheep = shorn the sheep.

touchingcloth

« Reply #886 on: May 25, 2020, 10:01:28 AM »
Private Ryan = Ryan's privates.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #887 on: May 25, 2020, 01:00:21 PM »
Shaun the Sheep = shorn the sheep.

On the DVD commentary for A Close Shave Nick Park mentions that the pun doesn't translate very well to America, due to the difference in pronunciation between "shorn" (which emphasises the 'r' more than UK pronunciation) and "Shaun" (which is a little closer to 'sharn').

Very worth checking out the commentaries for those first three Wallace and Gromits, by the way.

The composer Julian Nott talks about how different the process was for A Close Shave because all of a sudden so many more people were involved.  He was working from his bedroom and he had BBC people poking their noses in, advising him to emphasise the comedy rather than the romance, and things like this.  Advice he reckons would have ruined the film if he'd followed it.  And he also mentions how tricky it was to create music around Nick Park's usage of machinery which would have their own ambient sounds.  All interesting stuff.

touchingcloth

« Reply #888 on: May 27, 2020, 12:43:10 AM »
On the DVD commentary for A Close Shave Nick Park mentions that the pun doesn't translate very well to America, due to the difference in pronunciation between "shorn" (which emphasises the 'r' more than UK pronunciation) and "Shaun" (which is a little closer to 'sharn').

Very worth checking out the commentaries for those first three Wallace and Gromits, by the way.

The composer Julian Nott talks about how different the process was for A Close Shave because all of a sudden so many more people were involved.  He was working from his bedroom and he had BBC people poking their noses in, advising him to emphasise the comedy rather than the romance, and things like this.  Advice he reckons would have ruined the film if he'd followed it.  And he also mentions how tricky it was to create music around Nick Park's usage of machinery which would have their own ambient sounds.  All interesting stuff.

The making of videos are great too: https://youtu.be/f19hF7-nT8g

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

• Does your son have your halitosis?
« Reply #889 on: May 27, 2020, 10:53:27 AM »
The title of popular Chris Barrie - helmed 90s sitcom " The Brittas Empire"  is derived from the marginally less popular global power established between the late 16th and early 18th century, the British Empire.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #890 on: May 27, 2020, 11:40:13 AM »
The title of popular Chris Barrie - helmed 90s sitcom " The Brittas Empire"  is derived from the marginally less popular global power established between the late 16th and early 18th century, the British Empire.

Blimey that was one of the first things I ever realised in my whole life.

I was about 13.

touchingcloth

« Reply #891 on: May 27, 2020, 02:13:47 PM »
Blimey that was one of the first things I ever realised in my whole life.

I was about 13.

Same, though I think I realised it in a confused way "Brittas Empire...is that supposed to be like British Empire? Doesn't really work, but, surely the sitcom name came first and they named the character Brittas because of it? They wouldn't have chosen the character's name first, surely? I have so many questions, but sadly the internet does not yet exist in a form where these sorts of questions in general are easy to find answers for, and if I'm honest I can't see the internet ever reaching a point where the Brittas Empire is particularly heavily discussed".

I don't really remember much about the show, but there was a definite point where it got confused in my mind with the "no one died" bit from The Day Today.

« Reply #892 on: May 28, 2020, 10:29:49 AM »
A bout de souffle(s) = A bout of souffles.

As in a 'murder' of 'crows', because it's a real bout to make those delicate yet deceptive dainties, let me tell you. And you'll certainly be breathless after making a bout!

buzby

« Reply #893 on: May 28, 2020, 03:12:56 PM »
Same, though I think I realised it in a confused way "Brittas Empire...is that supposed to be like British Empire? Doesn't really work, but, surely the sitcom name came first and they named the character Brittas because of it? They wouldn't have chosen the character's name first, surely? I have so many questions, but sadly the internet does not yet exist in a form where these sorts of questions in general are easy to find answers for, and if I'm honest I can't see the internet ever reaching a point where the Brittas Empire is particularly heavily discussed".

It was created and written by Andrew Norriss, who had a penchant for his sitcom titles being a weak pun involving the lead character's name - Chance In A Million, The Labours of Erica (cf. The 12 Labours of Heracles). I suspect he came up with the concept, then the title, which then led to the character's name - Tom Chance is a man who is a constant victim of coincidence, Erica has a 'bucket list' of 12 things she wants to do before she's 40.

petrilTanaka

• Are we counting shites?
« Reply #894 on: May 28, 2020, 03:27:33 PM »
It was created and written by Andrew Norriss, who had a penchant for his sitcom titles being a weak pun involving the lead character's name - Chance In A Million, The Labours of Erica (cf. The 12 Labours of Heracles). I suspect he came up with the concept, then the title, which then led to the character's name - Tom Chance is a man who is a constant victim of coincidence, Erica has a 'bucket list' of 12 things she wants to do before she's 40.

with hilarious consequences(trad.)

touchingcloth

« Reply #895 on: May 28, 2020, 05:10:22 PM »
Salt & Vinegar

Ian Salt is hard-bitten lighthouse keeper who...

JesusAndYourBush

• Earnest silky coconut shell
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #896 on: May 28, 2020, 05:28:21 PM »
Salt & Vinegar

Ian Salt is hard-bitten lighthouse keeper who...

(After removing the ...) Talk to transformer says...

Salt & Vinegar

Ian Salt is hard-bitten lighthouse keeper who
manages his massive lighthouse keeping business, while his sister Karina is an ornithologist. These two get involved with his ex-wife to help pay off her student loans and get the couple back together. They decide to go on a boat cruise to Australia, only to discover there is a sea monster who is wreaking havoc on the shore. And what's worse is that this monster is real. It's a "Supernatural Monster". If you like sharks, aliens, the undead or spooky pirates then you'll love this film. (A remake of an older Hammer film.)

Source: IMDB (11/24/98, 1.33 rating)

touchingcloth

« Reply #897 on: May 28, 2020, 05:37:08 PM »
(After removing the ...) Talk to transformer says...

Salt & Vinegar

Ian Salt is hard-bitten lighthouse keeper who
manages his massive lighthouse keeping business, while his sister Karina is an ornithologist. These two get involved with his ex-wife to help pay off her student loans and get the couple back together. They decide to go on a boat cruise to Australia, only to discover there is a sea monster who is wreaking havoc on the shore. And what's worse is that this monster is real. It's a "Supernatural Monster". If you like sharks, aliens, the undead or spooky pirates then you'll love this film. (A remake of an older Hammer film.)

Ian Vinegar is a shy sailor. They were lovers, and one night their passion is seized by some unexpected events: a submarine; a map that might lead to a lost treasure; a ghost ship and its grim cargo; and an airship, which might be the only way home. And the treasure is hiding in a forgotten part of the world. Atop a summit of the mountain, the men continue their search. Can they raise the warrenty enough to knock the submarine off course? Can they survive? Will the ghost ship and its cargo come to them...or to each other?

Source: IMDB (11/24/98, 1.33 rating)

Norton Canes

• Watching the Wednesday wheel
« Reply #898 on: May 30, 2020, 05:22:17 PM »
The font used across gov.uk is GDS Transport, the same font used on road signage.

« Reply #899 on: May 30, 2020, 05:31:19 PM »
The font used across gov.uk is GDS Transport, the same font used on road signage.

Appropriate, really. This government is a bit of a car crash!

#SATIRE

Tags: