Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:13:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Sebastian Cobb

The that make food mixers are a completely different company to the that make hifi and other consumer electronics.

I assumed they were just another Japanese company that made lots of unrelated stuff like Mitsubishi and Yamaha.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 12, 2020, 12:30:53 PM
The that make food mixers are a completely different company to the that make hifi and other consumer electronics.

I assumed they were just another Japanese company that made lots of unrelated stuff like Mitsubishi and Yamaha.

Daewoo make those funny little cars and select-fire rifles for the South Korean army. It's nice to diversify I suppose.

Sebastian Cobb

The cars were just plant and parts from the mk2 Astra run though.

beanheadmcginty

The food mixer company was started by a bloke called Ken Wood. That pleases me for some reason.

popcorn

Also the Hershey that make chocolate is not the same company as the Hershey that makes ice cream. Apparently the two companies were formed in the same place at the same time and have been suing each other for the last 100 years.

Dewt

touchingcloth

May I take this opportunity to congratulate you on the use of inline images with what I assume are carefully finessed sizes? An pleasing post visually. Dogshit content, of course*, but aesthetically marvellously agreeable.

*do you think that it's etc.

touchingcloth

Eric Cantona played football as a defender.

I learnt this from my football fan and Manchester United-supporting father earlier this evening, but slightly less earlier I googled it and found that it's not true.

Paul Calf

seepage

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 11, 2020, 05:21:31 PM
A friend's daughter is just old enough to piece together that everybody poos. She asks about specific people and is always amazed when told that, yes, they poo.

A friend at uni refused to believe that women poo. This was pre-internet, mind.

Same bloke: due to some situation I said we needed one of those joke glasses/nose/mustache disguises each. There was an awkward pause as I glanced sideways and just realised that he already had those features.   

Ferris

Quote from: seepage on January 13, 2020, 05:41:49 PM

Same bloke: due to some situation I said we needed one of those joke glasses/nose/mustache disguises each. There was an awkward pause as I glanced sideways and just realised that he already had those features.

I knew someone who thought (still thinks?) your blood colour depended on your ethnicity. She is an Oxbridge grad and senior exec with a large multinational now. The mind boggles.

Apart from (quite a few) notable gems, most music by The Fall is complete shite.

petril

would you say he was Of Restricted Seriousness?

gib

Quote from: icehaven on January 11, 2020, 03:42:06 PM
Obvious thing someone else has only just realised: Mr. Haven (36 years old, born and raised in the UK in households that always had a TV) has just realised (or rather been told, by me) that BBC channels don't have adverts, and that's why the TV licence exists. He'd seriously never noticed.

Oh dear.

touchingcloth

From another thread, this lot:

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 14, 2020, 12:33:08 AM
Was momentarily confused by the SONY in the title, but then I googled and realised they are just the distributor. Stand down, stand down.

FAKE EDIT: I've just googled some more and seen that even for the proper Marvel films Disney is also only the distributor rather than the company what produced it. What's all that about, then? Why do people talk about Disney as if they made the film rather than just distributed it?

FAKE EDIT II: Just googled the Star War sequel films, and Disney is the distributor and Lucas Film the producer. THE fuck? Who actually did the making of the film? I feel like my world has been upended.

I always used to think that producer = company what hired actors and pointed cameras, distributor = company what sent the film reels to the cinema and DVD printers. Maybe it is that way, but that doesn't change my aghastness as I can't work out in that case why anyone would see either Franchise as being primarily Disney films, when that's definitely the way I hear and think of them.

Jockice

I had a row on Facebook not that long ago when a mate and I had a short discussion about how many times in our adult lives we'd shat ourselves. Both of us were in single figures. You know through stomach infections, being nowhere near a toilet etc. That sort of stuff. Then a woman (a 'friend' of mine although I've never actually met her) appeared, told us we were disgusting and not only had she never crapped herself, but neither had any other woman. Except perhaps when they were drunk. But she was totally adamant that no sober female on earth had ever had a bowel accident. It actually got quite heated.

Come to think of it, I started a thread on it here. Possibly the weirdest internet argument I've ever had.

Cerys

I can quite confidently state that she's wrong.

Endicott

The final thing Oscar said to The Six Million Dollar Man after the operation was;

Steve, my friend, I'm afraid you will still poo. You might even shite yourself at an inopportune moment. Not even we could help with that.

buzby

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 14, 2020, 12:35:43 AM
From another thread, this lot:

I always used to think that producer = company what hired actors and pointed cameras, distributor = company what sent the film reels to the cinema and DVD printers. Maybe it is that way, but that doesn't change my aghastness as I can't work out in that case why anyone would see either Franchise as being primarily Disney films, when that's definitely the way I hear and think of them.
Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm (and Walt disney Studios, Pixar, 20th Century Fox and  Fox Searchlight Pictures) are wholly-owned subsidiaries of the Walt Disney Company, who then market and distribute their productions via their distribution company Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures

Buena Vista Pictures Distribution was originally Disney's distribution arm (named after Buena Vista Street in Burbank, the site of Disney's LA Studios), which was set up when Disney's original distribution deal with RKO expired in the mid-50s. The Buena Vista name was retired and the distribution arm renamed Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures in 2007.

olliebean

Quote from: Cerys on January 14, 2020, 02:41:38 PM
I can quite confidently state that she's wrong.

And as a man who has never shat himself, I can equally confidently state that the whole idea that this is something to blame men for is a scam and it's actually women who do all the self-shitting, even when it comes out of a man's arsehole. Don't ask me how, it's just a fact.

Sebastian Cobb

I've shit myself a few times, am I a bird now?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dewt on January 11, 2020, 04:37:28 AM
Dinosaur Comics is about to stomp a girl in the bottom-left panel

Didn't notice until I looked at the first comic
ive got a tshirt with that ridiculously oversized trex stomp on and for a 00s internet merch purchase I think it's aged rather well. nice mustard yellow

mjwilson

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 11, 2020, 11:23:42 PM
It's a cardinal sin to my mind to include multiple characters with the same or easily confused names in a work of fiction unless the similarity is going to be remarked upon, as with something like Agent Johnson and Special Agent Johnson in Die Hard.

Brandon Stark, known as Bran,
His uncle Brandon Stark,
Big fan of legendary figure Bran Stark (the builder)

Too many Bran Starks

buttgammon

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 11, 2020, 11:23:42 PM
It's a cardinal sin to my mind to include multiple characters with the same or easily confused names in a work of fiction unless the similarity is going to be remarked upon, as with something like Agent Johnson and Special Agent Johnson in Die Hard. Marvel fucked it up when giving Tim From The Office the surname Ross even though there's a moustachioed one called Ross in other films. They had Tim handwave it away in one film, but it feels very much like an oversight that has been patched up rather than a deliberate choice. And this in a film series starring Chris Evans Not That One.

Never read Wuthering Heights!

touchingcloth

Quote from: mjwilson on January 14, 2020, 09:55:06 PM
Brandon Stark, known as Bran,
His uncle Brandon Stark,
Big fan of legendary figure Bran Stark (the builder)

Too many Bran Starks

Game of Thrones, google tells me. It's mainly someone saying "forsooth, a dragon", isn't it, so similar names don't matter too much.

I think for written works names should ideally be visually distinct. If I read a book with Russian-named characters I tend to give up on trying to come up with an accurate pronunciation and skim over things so that, say, Solzhenitsyn becomes "Solz-bleh-bleh-bleh".

Quote from: buttgammon on January 14, 2020, 11:18:00 PM
Never read Wuthering Heights!

Heathcliff!
It's me, I'm Cathy
She's Cathy
He's Cathy-y-y-y

NoSleep

buttgammon

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 15, 2020, 12:15:07 AM
Heathcliff!
It's me, I'm Cathy
She's Cathy
He's Cathy-y-y-y

Heathcliff!
It's me, I'm Cathy
Or Cath-er-ine
I can't remem-em-ember

Norton Canes

Task master, contestants, alphabetical order.