Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,484
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:13:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

touchingcloth

Minor league baseball isn't played by children.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 18, 2020, 11:35:14 AM
My school was free so I don't think they had head boys, although they might've had some title like that in 6th Form.

My school was free too. It was a fairly meaningless title. I think they gave me it hoping to inspire me to be a great student and live up to my potential.

It didn't work.

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 21, 2020, 11:22:44 PM

[three paragraphs about baseball no one will ever read]

Jockice

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 21, 2020, 11:22:44 PM

And neither is Junior league football in Scotland.

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 22, 2020, 12:42:36 PM
[three paragraphs about baseball no one will ever read]

I read 'em and enjoyed them, thanks.

Another one from round your end, but references in American media to cotton in bottles of pills are quite literal, and they stuff the jars with cotton wadding.

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 22, 2020, 03:12:28 PM
I read 'em and enjoyed them, thanks.

Another one from round your end, but references in American media to cotton in bottles of pills are quite literal, and they stuff the jars with cotton wadding.

Do they?! Mad bastards

olliebean

Come to think of it, didn't pill bottles in the UK used to have a big bit of foam padding in the top, presumably for the same purpose (which I guess would be stopping the pills rattling around)?

Replies From View

cotton wool wasn't it?

that's what sanatogen children's vitamins had anyway

touchingcloth

buttgammon

zomgmouse

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

A birthday suit is so called because it's what you were wearing on your birth day, i.e. nothing. You were naked.

I just never made the link. Stupid bastard.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 24, 2020, 06:15:41 AM
A birthday suit is so called because it's what you were wearing on your birth day, i.e. nothing. You were naked.

It took me ages to realise this too.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 24, 2020, 06:15:41 AM

And yet they don't call a baby's first set of gnashers their birthday teeth. But I do, and I call being naked wearing a milk suit.

olliebean

"Milk teeth," because they're used to gnaw milk out of the mother's dugs.

Fr.Bigley

Phil Mitchell looks like modern Mick Hucknall. or Vice Versa

touchingcloth

Quote from: olliebean on June 24, 2020, 12:10:37 PM
"Milk teeth," because they're used to gnaw milk out of the mother's dugs.

Milk suit because you're gnawing at the dugs and only milk is coming out and you're like "where's the suit, woman?"

Mr Banlon

OFAH : Del is a fucking idiot, and Rodney looks like a horse.

touchingcloth

Compound interest is...the only kind of interest? If you're earning money on money, why would you not add the money earned from the interest on the money to the original pot of money?

olliebean

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 25, 2020, 12:06:38 AM
Compound interest is...the only kind of interest? If you're earning money on money, why would you not add the money earned from the interest on the money to the original pot of money?

Presumably because you wanted to use it for something else.  Many investments with a stable return (i.e., interest) offer a choice between capital growth (i.e., compound interest) or a regular income.

bgmnts

Dubai sounds like "do buy".

Which is quite fitting.

Icehaven

Johnny Hates Jazz and Living In A Box are two different late 80s/early 90s soft pop three pieces that sound really similar.

touchingcloth

Was it an 80s thing to have bands named after their songs and vice versa, or was it just Living in a Box and Talk Talk?

touchingcloth

Quote from: olliebean on June 25, 2020, 08:57:51 AM
Presumably because you wanted to use it for something else.  Many investments with a stable return (i.e., interest) offer a choice between capital growth (i.e., compound interest) or a regular income.

They're the same thing, aren't they? Take what you need out of the capital growth for spending and leave the rest growing the pot in the first case, or spend what you need from the regular income and add anything unspent back to the pot in the second case.

touchingcloth

At some point in the not too distant past, clicking the three dot menu icon in Chrome would display the additional extension icons if there were too many for them all to fit on the main screen in the browser.

A little while back it stopped doing that, so a few times I have faffed about disabling and enabling extensions to get them to display in the order that I wanted. I've just realised that the little jigsaw icon does the job of displaying all of the extra extensions - what a piece of shit UX decision, since when has a jigsaw piece signified "click here for more"?

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 26, 2020, 12:16:42 AM
Was it an 80s thing to have bands named after their songs and vice versa, or was it just Living in a Box and Talk Talk?

Also Oh Well.

From the 90s, there were Ghosts and, erm, Doop.

Edit: Ghosts were 2000s...

Gulftastic

John Reid was played by a Game Of Thrones actor in both the shit 'Bohemian Rhapsody' and the smashing 'Rocketman'.